Am I too privileged for the minority tag?

<p>I have done research and it seems like colleges tend to favor minorities because they seem them disadvantage. I am African American, and my father did not go to college. My mother on the other hand is a teacher and has a BA in Radio/TV, a MA in Education, and is considering getting a PhD from an Ivy League, likely making her a college professor soon. My dad, though not college educated has a very high paying job. Combined, my parents bring in roughly $220,000 a year to care for me and my brother. We will soon own our home, we have 2 cars... And I'm wondering if I will lose the benefits of being a minority in the admissions process because they make so much? Or will colleges over look their income to increase campus diversity. I'm specifically talking about privates like Northwestern, USC, Columbia, and Boston University.</p>

<p>Chances are it will not impact your admission (as they all want to increase diversity), but it may well influence pure need-based financial aid (not merit scholarships based on merit, not need). </p>

<p>I’ve been wondering this as well - but for first generation students. Neither of my parents went to college but they bring in at least $200k/year. Not sure if the hook still applies!</p>

<p>Yes, you are AA. Not first generation for college as your mother has college degrees. Being URM, does give you a boost in some admissions to some schools, but you still have to be in the ball park There may be some awards, that are URM specific too, but getting big money is still a challenge.</p>

<p>Brixx21, yes, you are first generation for college. That can give you some consideration for admissions, but that isn’t likely to give you more financial aid. Two separate departments. Maybe some schools have something for first gen in terms of scholarship, but as as I said to the OP, tough to get the big merit bucks.</p>

<p>Disadvantaged or not, colleges are going to seek the diversity of AA students. However, the schools that you list are going to be able to choose from among the top of the AA heap. Yes, you may hear of AA admits with SAT scores/GPA like yours get into those colleges, but it will be because they are an athletic recruit or have a compelling story of hardship. Your grades and GPA do not make you a top AA applicant at top schools, plus your parents won’t pay anyway, so doesn’t really matter.</p>

<p>Since your parents make a good income, it will be assumed that you had access to good schools, enrichment activities, good and save neighborhoods, tutors, etc. Therefore, elite schools won’t give you much slack in terms of what they expect your test scores to be. Your best plan of action is to get high test scores(2200 range for SAT). High scoring minority students are in high demand. I think it’s highly unlikely that a URM from an upper middle class family would get into elite schools with an SAT in the 1700 range. </p>

<p>@prefect thank you for the advice. I’m sorry, but what is a URM? I have seen the term around but idk what it actually means</p>

<p>And yeah, that SAT was a fluke for me. I didn’t prep, I didn’t try hard, I’m just trying to erase that from memory lol. I’m starting the Princeton review prep class on Saturday. It’s 18 hours with an additional 4 practice exams. I’m pretty sure my score will increase. I also got almost a 31 on a practice ACT. So i will be taking that exam as well.</p>

<p>URM=underrepresented minority. Underrepresented among students at a particular school.</p>