American University Fall 2022 Admissions - Class of 2026

Hello! Sorry to be late to the party. My DD got her acceptance (communications) with 20K/year merit while we were away for spring break.

test optional,
uw gpa 4.0 and I’m not sure of the weighted but fairly high.
7 APs–she submitted 2 scores I think.
Ranked around 10 out of app. 325,
great ecs, strong essays imo

She was also accepted at UNC (in-state) and is leaning toward that. It’s definitely between these two, although she is waiting on some reaches.

We did a pretty thorough tour of AU in November so I’m not sure we will go back for the admitted student events. Is there a sleep-over option or did COVID eliminate these?

Is anyone going to the meet-up in Charlotte? Are those regional events worth it?

1 Like

There is a meet-up in San Francisco that my DS just received an invite for. I was also wondering if other students will be there and if it’s worth the time?

How difficult is it to get off the waitlist?

According to American’s 2020-21 Common Data Set, last year:
5158 students were offered waitlist
1657 took spots
133 received offers

1 Like

Ok, thanks so much!

1 Like

My S22 is in a similar situation:
1500/4.0 UW/great ECs and waitlisted.

Admitted today to William & Mary.

We did on campus visit at AU so imagine this is yield management at play? Best of luck.

1 Like

Are all the decisions out?
I am yet to receive mine. Can someone guide me on how it works?

Login to your Future Eagle portal. The decision will be there. If it isn’t, contact the AO.

3 Likes

Yes. My daughter received $15k merit but did not apply for financial aid.

1 Like

Has anyone who was accepted to the honors program heard from the director of that program yet?

Just joined to talk about S’s admission and he has not heard back. I was at the AU event in March at the Honors panel and I don’t recall her saying they’d hear back from the program leader but I could be wrong…

Thanks. There was something in his letter that suggested the director may reach out. I will have my student reach out with his questions.

We are down to decision time. AU had been the frontrunner, but he was hoping for admission to honors and the highest amount of merit. He got the dean’s scholarship and $15k, which seems to be almost the highest award. It still leaves AU quite a bit higher than his other choices (W&M in-state tuition, Pitt with a generous OOS scholarship, and CNU with PLP/honors). He was offered the Cornerstone program but not honors. The higher-than-hoped cost and no honors seem to be deal breakers right now. It’s tough to watch him realign his dreams!

1 Like

Also got accepted at GWU with first year study abroad via Paris Scholars Program. How does it compare to AU?

Are you asking about GWU vs AU? Have you visited either/both? If you search the forum there are several threads with strong opinions on the matter. I’m just a parent, but it seems to me that GWU would be the better choice for STEM or business. But if you are interested in political science or international/global studies – then I think it’s a toss up (the schools are comparably ranked in these areas). In that case, it comes down to personal preference. We visited both. The campuses are very different, and my S really did not like GWU. He wouldn’t even apply after visiting. Of course, there are plenty of kids who have the opposite reaction. In my opinion, picking a college should be largely about “fit” and that’s very personal. On a side note, you should also think about whether you want to do a first year study abroad. It would be a different kind of freshman year…

Good luck!

2 Likes

My DS had the same reaction when visiting GWU, no longer wanted to apply. He didn’t like that the city environment.

4 Likes

Post deleted

deleted

Thanks for the input. She is interested Public Policy/Political Science/Legal Studies undergrad major to prepare for law school after that. She got accepted at AU for Legal Studies, wonder if AU is flexible about switching majors if needed. Also accepted at Dickinson with a good scholarship.
We do plan to visit all 3 campuses to see which one is a better fit.

1 Like

I actually just looked into the question of changing majors at American, and it seems pretty flexible. Students enter with an “intended major” but can change it along the way. And it sounds like students don’t have to officially declare a major until the end of sophomore year.

Edited to add this text from the AU website First Year FAQ:

All first year students will have an intended major in their first academic year. Upon completion, students can officially declare a major, add a minor (if they choose), and add a second major (if they choose).

Students can change intended majors over the summer. After the first semester, students will be able to change intended majors as long as minimum GPA and any other requirements are met for the new intended major. Minimum GPA requirements can be found on individual Major pages under “Academic Programs” in the Course Catalog

2 Likes