Amherst RD

Is RD Amherst possible?

I’d venture to say yes.

Is it for you ? I know nothing about you so I have no idea.

Thanks. IB prediction score: 7-7-7 for HL; 7–6-6 for SL. SAT Evidenced writing and reading 770, math 760.

No clue what those are. I’ll let someone else predict you.

Here’s their profile. You’re there on test but of course with a 5% admit rate for international it’s difficult for all. I assume you are Intl. It’s 13% for all. And I don’t know for sure but ED likely higher.

Good luck.

https://www.amherst.edu/admission/apply/international/enrollment

Are you attending high school in the United States? If so…what is your GPA, weighted and unweighted.

ETA…I read your other thread and the good explanation @skieurope provided about IB numbers.

That being said…congratulations. You have done very well. It seems you are an international student.

Just keep in mind…the acceptance rate for Amherst is 9% or so. While you have achieved everything to be a successful student there, so do a LOT of other applicants…and 90% do not receive offers of admission.

But…apply and see!

Thank you! Overseas international student, school has no GPA.

How would American citizen overseas be categorized? International or US? Would this make any difference for the application?

If you are a US citizen you will be considered a domestic student, but evaluated within context of your international HS, so that will be an advantage.

Your stats are very good…did you apply ED, SCEA, or EA anywhere? Have you applied to any international schools?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! Just RD.

Good luck to you! I hope you have a variety of colleges on the student’s application list. Strong student for sure, but even strong students need schools that have a stronger likelihood of acceptance.

And yes, your application will be reviewed as a citizen here…because you are one. And you will be able to access federally funded things like the Direct Loan, and the Pell if you are eligible, and federal work study. But you have to complete the FAFSA for that. And Amherst requires the CSS Profile as well.

Back to my other note, if you are domestic the odds are better but still not good. According to the admissions page 8% got in. According to initial stats published in the school paper 7%. It’s an ED school too which in most cases means those in RD will have an even tougher time. Not sure if this is true of Amherst but either way, no matter how strong a student it will be no easy in. But they are letting people in so it’s possible. But not likely. Best of luck.

https://www.amherst.edu/amherst-story/facts

Does anyone know Amherst’s policy on reviewing applications for multiples (like twins?) Brother and I will be applying with different majors and it seems like each university/college is slightly different in their policies.

Possibly OBE by now but I also have HS senior twins and have asked this question before. Most people say they are evaluated individually. A few schools seem to possibly try to accept both if they really want one (larger schools, not LACs), but it’s not guarantee. My twins ended up not applying to any of the same colleges.

At Amherst you do not apply to a major BTW.