An URM's journey through College Admissions

@princetonian2020 You remind me of my son’s journey last year! Also admitted to Princeton SCEA, EA UNC and likely letters from Duke and Vanderbilt. Congratulations and good luck in the home stretch!

Yes I did @MYOS1634 It’s incredibly affordable for my family!
@nw2this Will do!
@planner03 That’s awesome! And thank you1

Congratulations :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I am very very happy for you. Do come back to let us know how things go !

Thank you everyone! I received likely letters from Amherst and Swarthmore two days ago and the letters were so glowing and wonderful! :smiley:

A quick update before the onslaught of my last 7 decisions on Ivy Day (+ Tufts) :slight_smile:

Accepted:
Princeton (most likely attending)
UMBC (full ride)
UNC (full ride; Carolina Scholarship)
UMD (full ride; Banneker/Key)
Vanderbilt
Duke
Swarthmore
Amherst
Williams
Cornell (likely)
Johns Hopkins
American
Georgetown

Rejection:
Stanford

I’m so nervous for Ivy Day!!!

Congratulations! You have went from being a nervous applicant to someone who just continued with your gut and reaped the benefits of this process! Amazing acceptances! Good luck with choosing, as you have some amazing choices!

Any update?
(NO matter what, you already have amazing choices, so it shouldn’t be too bad :p)

Ahhh the Ivies, t’was a nice surprise!

Harvard - Waitlisted
Yale - Accepted
Princeton - Accepted
Columbia - Accepted
Brown - Rejected (I think not interviewing had something to do with this, there was so much miscommunication)
Dartmouth - Accepted
UPenn - Accepted

This makes my final list look like this -

Accepted:
Princeton
UMBC
UNC
UMD
Vanderbilt
Duke
Swarthmore
Amherst
Williams
Cornell
Johns Hopkins
American
Georgetown
Dartmouth
Penn
Columbia
Yale

Waitlist:
Tufts
Harvard

Rejection:
Stanford
Brown

Thank you everyone for the support and advice!

Wow, now it’s going to be really hard to choose!
Please do keep us updated as to your decision process, reports on any visit, etc.

Wow! Any advice for us juniors applying next year? What were your ECs? What do you think helped you get it (letters of rec, essay, etc)?

@MYOS1634 I’m going to Princeton Preview, Bulldog Days, GAAP, and the local receptions for Columbia and Dartmouth.

@ZBlue17 Start your essays really early. I got a lot of hate lately for getting into all these schools with my “mediocre” test scores, but honestly if you write compelling essays - you can always tip the balance in your favor. I wrote like six drafts to my common app, and I got my friends and trusted adults to read and see which best portrayed my voice. This was all in June/July. So, to answer your last question - I think my essays helped a whole lot at each and every school I was admitted at.

Dear Princetonian. I have followed your story this year with a great deal of pride. We are from the Washington area and I have read and learned from you all year. I have a child who will be going through this process next year. You have achieved so much during this year and your organization, diligence and flat-out hard work is to be commended. Please don’t let haters get you down. In this life, you will have those who will try to denigrate. Don’t listen or let them influence you. Sometimes you get breaks and sometimes you don’t. Take them when they come and shrug it off when they don’t. Good luck and blessings to you this year and going forward.

@linsweet Thank you very much, I’m glad to have somewhat helped you get an idea of what I went through these past few months. I’ll definitely be sure to remind myself of what I’ve accomplished and avoid what people might say about my acceptances, honors, and accolades. Thank you, and wishing you many blessing this upcoming year and in the future. Best of luck next year on the college process!

Any Update? Is it Princeton?

Yes I committed to Princeton! Officially Class of 2020 :slight_smile: @linsweet

Congratulations!

God speed. I know you will do well. Please report back on your adventures at Princeton.