Any Validity to the "Waste of a Degree" Claim?

<p>I've repeatedly read from students, professors and those in the field that Journalism is a "waste of a degree." People say you should major in something else and get your master's in journalism. Do you think there's validity to this? (I don't know if it'd be financially feasible for me to get my masters right away).
I'm passionate about journalism, but I have to admit the prospect of studying journalism for four years might be a bit dull. I am really interested in the ideas that can be expressed journalistically, not as much the study of journalism itself (although I realize you need to be competant at writing journalistically and be knowledgable about the history of the field). For my school paper, I've carved out a sort of anthropological, historical, linguistical niche and that is what I really want to learn about in college, I just need some sort of journalistic background to express these ideas in proper journalistic form. Some students have come back to my school paper, telling us about their experiencing majoring in journalism. The grads from my school told us that a lot of it was redundant of what they learned in high school (many of the students in the program apparently had never written articles before).<br>
Basically for you J majors, do you regret majoring in Journalism or do you think it was a beneficial choice? Do you get a chance to use the journalistic skills you learn to create pieces of your choosing? Does your program let you interact with the community? Or is it more a focus on journalistic theory?</p>

<p>Rubbish. Denny’s is always hiring.</p>

<p>Kidding aside, I have actually heard similar fears. I don’t know how well founded they are. Certainly though, Journalism itself isn’t “dying” or anything. It would make sense that you learn some sort of other liberal art that you are passionate about and then go to graduate J-school to learn how to express or articulate on it. Maybe I’m full of it, but that sounds nice, doesn’t it? Hell, I should go to Journalism school.</p>