Anyone Going to CC Admitted Students Days?

<p>they should email you the confirmation of your scheduled visit (at least thats how it was for me).</p>

<p>Thanks johnnyboy44, and congrats on your acceptances to some outstanding schools. I’ve been looking at the department web pages on the CC site and the lists of faculty to give my son so he can set up some meetings before he visits next week. Best wishes in your decision process.</p>

<p>Son is off to CC for tomorrow’s Open House! Wish I could go, but he’ll get a much better idea of the place on his own.</p>

<p>Sunmahcine—I hope your S has a great visit at CC. Two years ago, my son also traveled to accepted students’ day alone. I really wanted to go since I had never seen the campus. Looking back, I am glad he went alone. I think it helped him to be alone and not be influenced by my comments. He texted me within the first several hours of being on campus and said “I am home”. Sounds like your son has the option of several great schools. Whether by their choice or the luck of the draw they all seem to end up where they belong.</p>

<p>Ditto on letting S go alone to CC for the potential scholarship get together in 2007. He even stayed an extra day. Better sans parents. Its hard to accept, but it is TIME.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your posts. As I’ve said, my son will be going alone to the April 8,9 session and I too REALLY want to go ( I want to see a dorm, ask MY questions, sample the food, meet a teacher, see where he will likely spend the next 4 years,… ah well). It’s so hard to let them go but I do agree with Dad07 —it IS time. You are all helping me feel much better about this decision. It isn’t popular with my mom. She’s gone so far as to offer to accompany him since I’m not going. She sort of missed the point. Makes me proud of my son that he’s feeling comfortable being 1500 miles away, but a little sad too.</p>

<p>My D just went to the CC admitted student days and loved it! She is from NJ, and met people from all across the country there. She stayed with some very nice students (not incoming frosh) and got a great feel for the college, academics, and activities. The fod was great, people were friendly and accommodating, and they even had some unusual activities like midnight pancake/breakfast! </p>

<p>She toured the campus in 2008 but this time around it came to life a lot more. She traveled with her mother (stayed off campus). </p>

<p>She is considering CC along with 2 other schools…</p>

<p>We just returned from the CC open house. Husband, daughter, and I all attended and we couldn’t have been more impressed. There were plenty of fun activities for the students and many informative, helpful sessions for the parents. D was a bit turned off, as a female student (current CC student, not a prospective student) in the dorms had too much to drink and got sick all over the bathroom. I assured her that she could find that at almost any school - especially the larger, public schools. </p>

<p>After that experience, though, she declared that she would not want to live in that particular dorm, Mathias, but will try to get into of of the other residence halls. </p>

<p>Regardless, she mailed off her acceptance materials yesterday. Hooray!</p>

<p>^ Ask about substance-free dorms.</p>

<p>any thoughts from attendees on the recent admitted students days?</p>

<p>Let me just start by pointing out that CC does not have any substance free dorms perse. There are 1 to 2 floors total in the three underclassmen dorms that are substance free and, those might be the good option for your D.</p>

<p>As a student, I would like to say that it is unfortunate that it sounds like your daughter had a host who lives in Mathias. Underclassmen in other dorms tend to go to Mathias specifically to get inebriated. For the three freshman dorms, I would order them Mathias, Slocum, Loomis in terms of wildness and alcohol/drug usage, with Mathias being the worst. So, I’m not exactly sure how you would do it on the forms, but I would have your daughter make sure she lives in Loomis or a sub-free hall.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info, red<em>red</em>sox! I don’t know that D will want to go for one of the substance-free floors, but it would at least be good for her to get into Loomis or Slocum, for less wildness, partying, etc.</p>

<p>My 2007 freshman S was in Loomis in a double. Soph year he was in Mathias in a single. This Junior year (AP’s got him Senior status for housing) he was in a single apartment in an 1880’s building just off campus.</p>

<p>He will be back in my town Thurs on his way to Taipei for an 8th block course. I’ll ask him about his experience. I know he is staying in off-campus housing again next year while writing his two theses.</p>

<p>FWIW–I thought the view and the location of Loomis were superior over Mathias.</p>

<p>Definitely try for Loomis for freshman year. I liked it alot for the sake of convenience to Worner, working out facilities, etc…it is a typical freshamn dorm as far as facilities go…rooms can be good or bad from a view perspective but once you’re settled in, they are all the same basically.</p>

<p>i have a couple questions: What are the positives and negatives of living in a triple? So i definitely dont want to stay in mathias because i here you get no studying done but is the location of loomis alot better than slocum? if so, can you tell me why? </p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>I was told that Loomis had closer access to the library, dining, gym and Medical facility than Slocum. Slocum is not that much farther than than for some, but not all those locations</p>

<p>[Colorado</a> College | Campus Map](<a href=“http://www.coloradocollege.edu/welcome/campus_map/]Colorado”>http://www.coloradocollege.edu/welcome/campus_map/)</p>

<p>Triples: Positives–They are cheaper, and you get to meet two people (instead of just 1) right off the bat.
Negatives–You are going to have less space. The triples for freshman are forced, and are located in rooms that would typically have two people. There is also a greater chance that you will have a roommate that you might not entirely get along with. From the triples I have seen, there is very little room to effectively move around, and you have very little space in general.</p>

<p>The location of Loomis is not a lot better than Slocum. It is maybe a few yards closer to the campus center, is a bit closer to the library, and certainly is a bit closer to the gym, if you work out a lot. Slocum is right next to seven-11 which is a big plus for late-night snacks because it is open 24 hours a day. Slocum is also much closer to where off-campus parties take place. On the whole though, Colorado College is a small campus, so there are no long distance to walk at all really. In summary, if you think you will use the gym a lot, then it probably would want to try to get Loomis. If you think you will need a lot of late-night snacks from seven-11, I would try to get Slocum. Otherwise, it is really just a wash.</p>

<p>Can incoming freshmen request a particular residence hall, or is it all random?</p>

<p>I’m not sure, but I was remembering it being essentially random. I would certainly call res life to ask, but it seems to me that they would accommodate someone attempting to avoid a dorm like Mathias due to its general wildness.</p>

<p>colomom–call res life, but I seem to recall freshman placement is done without student direct input. I think that there is a point where a student can request singles and substance free floors for the freshman year in the housing application, but not specific dorms. As a soph the student gets into a lottery selection for campus housing as I recall.</p>

<p>Substance free accommodation is viewed as a near medical issue(there actually are college kids in recovery). Avoidance of a “wild” dorm due to atmosphere is fairly subjective to begin with and would make dorm assignments nearly impossible.</p>