Colorado College Visit--Long

<p>Armed with Digmedia's great suggestions, I took a very excited D for a visit to this unusual school. </p>

<p>After a very pleasant flight on Frontier Airlines into Denver, we rented a car and drove the 70 or so miles south to Colorado Springs. Flights to Denver were quite a bit cheaper, but if I visit again I would fly directly into Springs. This city of about a half million reminds me very much of other smaller "western" cities of my acquaintance: not much happening downtown, 10 or so 20-story bank buildings, and lots of sprawl along the highway coming into town. Please keep in mind that this was a 3-day visit, so I'm sure there is much more to Colorado Springs than I saw!</p>

<p>Being in this state always puts me in a good mood. Blue sky that goes on forever, clean crisp air, and of course the mountains. The weather was very mild for our whole visit, and a recent snowfall remained in patches here and there...driving and walking were easy and comfortable. This is the way to do winter, I think! Beautiful Pike's Peak forms the backdrop to the city and the campus, which is just north of and easily accessible to the downtown area. We walked around a bit and had a fine dinner at Jose Muldoons.</p>

<p>My D got to campus early to sit in on a biology class. Unfortunately it was an introductory level class, so she didn't get a feel for the rigor of the curriculum. This was the one area I felt that CC could improve on in their visit strategy. As you may know, CC operates on the block plan, where students study one subject at a time for 3.5 weeks. I think generally the classes meet for 3 hours or so and then a lab in the afternoon for sciences. Intense reading schedules, etc. Over the course of the school year, you are taking the same # of classes--but just one at a time. Kids need to find out if this is right for them, so I think kids should get to really experience what a 3 hr class is like. D was scheduled in for about an hour. (Edit: I just found, in the April program for admitted students, a 3-hr "experience a class on the block plan", so--that's covered!)</p>

<p>We then had an info session with an admissions officer. Just my D, me and another admitted student, an athlete. He did a good job of explaining the block plan, and how the school and students are able to take advantage of it. For example, the College has a satellite campus and the "CC Cabin", in different locations in the mountains. Classes can repair to either and stay for several days. Field work is easily arranged with this system as well, and takes place all over the southwest. After each block, the students have a 4 day break--and can travel, stay on campus or enjoy many outdoor opportunities sponsored by groups on campus. Skiing, biking, backpacking...trips up to Denver and Boulder...Gosh, it really sounds like fun.</p>

<p>D then met a friend from HS who is a frosh for lunch in the main cafeteria. We met up again for the tour, and she was full of stories about all the nice kids she had already met. The tour guide was a soph, and wonderfully poised and easygoing young man with a great personality. He seemed fully involved with all aspects of campus life and stressed how easy it is for students to try new things and wear many hats. </p>

<p>The campus is small, with a mix of old and new buildings--all very attractive and well maintained. Neat new science facilities, beautiful chapel, varied and interesting housing. Centrally located health services with 24 hour staffing, infirmary, and close to hospitals. Not a lot of "catering to students" businesses close by though, at least that I was able to get a feel for, but I was pretty much just going between downtown and campus. The campus seems quiet too. I went to Big State U and loved all the activity, so, that is my opinion. I also enjoyed larger classes, and at CC they are all small. You have to be very engaged here: there is nowhere to hide!</p>

<p>All our encounters with the admissions staff have been excellent. They have been accomodating in every way. D met her officer at a college fair, at her school, and had a personal interview. The administration is committed to making it happen for the students--whatever that is, research, study abroad, exchange programs with other schools, independent and interdisciplinary study. I got the sense that they are facilitators as opposed to big rule makers.</p>

<p>Left D with her friend. She helped set up for a one act play, went to an informal rush party at a sorority, went back to see the play, went to an alternative theatre performance by a faculty member, and hung out in various dorm rooms chatting with students until the wee hours. When I picked her up in the morning, she was in heaven!</p>

<p>While her friend attended class, we drove up to The Garden of the Gods, a park about 15 minutes from campus which is populated with strange and wonderful red rock formations. It was gorgeous, being used by local people for hiking or just serenity time: it is very peaceful. We then went into Old Colorado City and had a late lunch at Meadow Muffins and shopped in the funky, cute stores.</p>

<p>I then took D back to campus. Her friend had another committment, so she was adopted by a group of students who took her out for dinner and the hockey game. She sat right on the glass and enjoyed all the excitement, even though the Tigers lost the game. Then back to the dorm for more room-to-room socializing, again until all hours.</p>

<p>I took in the movie Sideways at a cute downtown theatre, where patrons enjoy libations while the movie plays (how appropriate--and thank God I didn't have a Merlot!) I ran back to the hotel to catch the game, only to find it was not televised in the hotel! ***, as the kids say. I was forced to complain bitterly, but did not want to go sit in a bar alone to see the broadcast.</p>

<p>We left the next morning. D slept stretched out on the floor in the airport. :)
A very successful trip for her, but a decision will be difficult. She chose the right schools for her, and will be faced with an embarrassment of riches come April 1st. Her only worry is the size of the school and a merit award, as she foresees heavy grad expenses and also loves a less expensive option. She loved the kids, who were uniformly smart, friendly, casual and attractive. (I didn't see any weirdos, Dig!) They were from all over the country and had applied to similar schools as my D. They say half receive some kind of financial aid. Some chose CC over more "Highly ranked" (in someone's opinion) schools. All were immensely enjoying their experience.</p>

<p>Many thanks to Digmedia for all the suggestions. If she goes here I'm going to need a better hotel. :)</p>

<p>Fire away with any questions...this is a really neat place.</p>

<p>ez</p>

<p>Great review. I was surprised to hear that Colorado has sororities - did you get any sense of how much of an influence the Greek system plays on campus social life? Also, what was your daughter's reaction to the block plan? How did the kids who are currently there find that schedule?</p>

<p>I found a colorado college livejournal
<a href="http://www.livejournal.com/community/coloradocollege/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.livejournal.com/community/coloradocollege/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>other prospective students are asking questions about blockplane/dorms/conservative vs liberal that may be helpful for other students</p>

<p>ez -</p>

<p>It sounds to me like you had a very productive trip. You never know how kids are going to react to places. It also sounds like it might be a good match for your D.</p>

<p>Seems like you enjoyed Colorado Springs. I agree that the city is in a very nice setting with Pikes Peak, but I also agree that the sprawl (which is getting much bigger) is out of control and very unsightly. I'm glad you enjoyed my suggestions; sometimes people have different views of what's fun. Meadow Muffins can be a little overwhelming the first time in. It's definitely a local-type thing.</p>

<p>In terms of ranking for your D, where does CC fall?</p>

<p>The Tigers LOST?!? That was unusual....</p>

<p>Carolyn, there are 3 sororities and 3 fraternities at CC. These are chapters of nationals, so they have to have some standards. They do have houses in a grouping on the east side of campus, but only the officers can live there. According to the girls in the one she visited, it is fairly low-key--lunch on Fridays, community work, socials. As much or as little involvement as you want to make it. My D said there were all types of girls present. There are pictures in the chapter websites for the frats (I guess the girls are a bit more circumspect)where the obligatory red plastic cup is prominently displayed. They always, it seems, provide transportation to and from an off campus event.</p>

<p>D. thinks she would do well with the block plan, and I agree. Right now she is taking a full schedule including honors physics and calculus--neither are her faves, and she feels she would be getting A's rather than B's if that was the only thing she was doing.
I am the type of person (as is she) who gets interested in something and follows it all the way to the end, so I think it's neat. Despite the intensity, there are enough hours in the day to do other activities, eat, sleep(I can't believe how late college kids stay up!) and stay fit.</p>

<p>She loved her visit. Tied for 1st place. Dig, Meadow Muffins was a gas! The guys gave us a hard time, and we gave it right back. D laughed and said she thought M.M. was going to be a gentle hippie place. It was then I realized that she did not know what a meadow muffin is!</p>

<p>
[quote]
It was then I realized that she did not know what a meadow muffin is!

[/quote]
And neither do I :confused:</p>

<p>Meadow Muffin Blues
by Kevin Morland</p>

<p>Chorus:
I've got the meadow muffin blues,
on the bottom of my shoes,
can't seem to shake it,
got to take it home and scrape it,
I got the meadow muffin blues.....</p>

<p>I have a friend whose S just started at Colorado College (I guess we can't call it CC on this board.....) in January. He was a mid-year admit. He was recruited for lacrosse, but is a smart kid. He messed up a little bit (well, a lot) his last year at boarding school, and narrowly escaped without his acceptance being pulled. The final straw was one of these "the girlfriend in the dorm room on prom night" deals. Anyway, he LOVES Col College so far.<br>
We spend as much time as we can in Colorado, and have retirement property in the western part of the state. Even though Col Springs seems pretty nasty along the interstate, you can't beat the location. You can be at a number of ski resorts in a couple of hours, and the hiking right around Col Springs is great. And-the Castle Rock outlet mall is close by. I am intrigued by the block scheduling. I guess you can't afford to miss a class or get behind. That could be tough for a traveling athlete, but I think the school plans the schedules (sports) with that in mind.</p>

<p>One of my son's best friends is a first year and loves Colorado College. My son often comments that he can't think of a better fit for his friend -- a smart, outgoing, outdoors-loving kid who was somewhat scattered in high school and really benefits from being able to focus on one class at a time. It strikes me very much as a place that either fits or doesn't.</p>

<p>I know of two kids from our area who have gone to CC in the past few years - one loved it and the other has had some mixed feelings, took some time off and is back trying to finish.</p>

<p>Has anyone ever asked how you are supposed to study a foreign language on the block plan? Is this something that is done year-round via language labs?</p>

<p>Thanks for the detailed report. My son is applying to a summer</a> program that happens to be sited at Colorado College this year, so I appreciate the information.</p>

<p>What a helpful thread! Thanks a lot for posting about your experience.</p>

<p>This:
[quote]
a smart, outgoing, outdoors-loving kid who was somewhat scattered in high school and really benefits from being able to focus on one class at a time. It strikes me very much as a place that either fits or doesn't.

[/quote]

...sounds just like me! I think CC would be a perfect fit for me. </p>

<p>I'm mostly posting a response to comment on foreign language classes, though - I took part in a one-month language immersion summer camp for a year of high school credit and ended up skipping TWO years ahead in Spanish when I got back to school. (I'm fluent now, after studying abroad in high school.) I can DEFINITELY see how block scheduling would be a more effective approach to learning languages at college than a semester program.</p>

<p>Son is going to CC. Loved visiting there. Did 2 visits, for a couple of days and he was SOLD. And super psyched.</p>