Anyone gotten a booster shot?

I was referring to the maximum possible take rate increasing as supply increases; the actual take rate may or may not increase. When backlogged areas stop being backlogged, then it is likely that the increase in actual take rate in those areas will slow down compared to the supply-determined maximum possible take rate. Obviously, in areas that are already not backlogged, actual take rate may not increase much, though there may be a bump from those waiting for just before winter gatherings.

Actual take rate (below the supply-determined maximum possible take rate) may be low for another reason, which is that so many people have been infected in recent months that they feel that they may not need a booster, whether at all, or just not yet.

The bay area has a demographic mix that historically had more desire for COVID-19 vaccination and more concern about COVID-19 generally (so people are more likely to notice the news that bivalent boosters are available), so it is not that surprising that the take rate in the bay area is higher relative to other areas.

1 Like

There is a vote on the VFC but there is also a vote on immunization schedules. Once again sloppy reporting is contributing to the public not knowing what is actually being discussed and voted on in any meaningful detail.

You ainā€™t kidding about the SF Bay Area. I just wanted to pipe in here and say that I went to a local community theater musical this weekend and they enforced masking for everyone in the audience policy.

1 Like

Thank you for the link clarifying that. I hope it is accurate, and I will remove the reference from my post.

1 Like

You are actually incorrect. I was right that they are voting to recommend adding it to the vaccine schedule. Apparently thatā€™s all they can do as itā€™s up to each state to require it.

3 Likes

While I appreciate your opinion, these are the articles Iā€™m reading. Personally, Iā€™m not overly concerned about vaccine recommendations, so if you donā€™t object Iā€™m going to link them and then drop the subject.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-committee-recommends-covid-shot-cdcs-free-vaccine-program-2022-10-19/

ā€During the advisory meeting, health officials emphasized that they were not voting on adding COVID-19 shots to the CDC annual vaccination schedule. They said this was a step in that direction but did not lay out additional steps or the timeline for such a move.ā€

ā€During the advisory meeting, health officials emphasized that they were not voting on adding COVID-19 shots to the CDC annual vaccination schedule. They said this was a step in that direction but did not lay out additional steps or the timeline for such a move.

In the United States, the CDC sets out a schedule of vaccination targets by age and states decide which vaccines are mandatory for school entry.ā€

ā€œBefore you make a claim about what the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is going to do, maybe, just maybe, you should look at what the CDC can and canā€™t actually do. On October 18, FOX News host Tucker Carlson claimed on a tweet that ā€œThe CDC is about to add the Covid vaccine to the childhood immunization schedule, which would make the vax mandatory for kids to attend school.ā€ Yet, the CDC clearly states on its website that ā€œState laws establish vaccination requirements for school children.ā€ And the CDC, by the way, ainā€™t one of the 50 states in the U.S.ā€œ

Has anyone gotten or known someone who has gotten a red rash (not at site of injection) after bivalent booster? One of my children got a red rash on the chin four days after booster. It appeared all at once, suddenly. Not a gradual spread from an initial spot. No itching, swelling, pain, fever, or any symptoms. It blanched with pressure. Blood work was all normal. Urgent care doc had no idea what it was and said to come back if any symptoms arose or rash worsened. Next day rash was 95% gone.

Vaccine-related?

I had rashes after all but the first of my five Moderna vaccines/boosters. They were red splotches further down the arm from the injection site. No bumps or itching but warm and sore to the touch. Started a few days after the injections and lasted up to ten or so days. I went to my dermatologist after the first reaction (second regular shot) and he said no worries. That was the worst of the lot. I had lesser reactions from all boosters.

There are some odd skin reactions out there, but apparently not dangerous.

My mother had a rash on her arm, not at the injection site after her first shot. Google ā€œCovid armā€. She had no issues with any of the others and we were told it wasnā€™t actually an allergic reaction so she wasnā€™t barred from future shots. Interestingly someone else I know had various rashes in the weeks after having Covid.

Thanks, @Juno16 and @Marilyn

This was not covid arm. Iā€™ve seen that on others. But seems like a distal rash could be a side effect. Would love to hear if others had this. The worry was thrombocytopenia, but luckily it was not that.

You would think the FL surgeon general would have his facts straight.

Iā€™m sure he probably knows the facts but he wasnā€™t appointed to deliver the truth to the public.

5 Likes

@juno16 , Thanks for the terminology! Just had Flu & latest Covid Booster on the same day. All Covid shots have been Moderna. Fever, chills, headache occurred after first booster, not the second booster or original vaccinations, but now again after the third booster. Curious why sometimes and not others.

But this time, my arm has a red, swollen, hot, and itchy swelling - below the injection site. Assuming thatā€™s Covid Arm, and will keep an eye on it. Fortunately I already have my yearly dermatology visit scheduled in 5 days, so weā€™ll see how it progresses.

1 Like

Mr. B and I got our boosters and flu shots at a deserted Costco on Halloween. Since we never get ToT visitors, we went food shopping and noticed their ā€œCovid shots availableā€ sign. No waiting, yay. Mr. got treated to the 65 and over flu shot and had a mild fever the next day, but for me, no side effects other than a sore arm and a bit of a headache. We had a choice of M or P, and went with the trusted one - P.

2 Likes