Anyone gotten a booster shot?

Well, my oncologist did not approve of me sneaking into Walgreens with a a fake mustache to get a third shot. Nor a beard and hat. But did tell me recent research says that I probably have SOME immunity now, will take massive steroids if I get covid, but that I get the third shot when it is approved soon. Prefer mustache scenario.

5 Likes

just saw this - I guess boosters are coming for immuno-compromised people https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/11/politics/fda-third-dose-covid-19-vaccine/index.html

7 Likes

I have lupus, took prednisone between my shots but low dose, so I think I am going to wait. I do not feel fully vaccinated but I am sure I am better off than my friend whose immune system was almost totally suppressed by meds.

There are many who are not waiting on the CDC/FDA. Estimates of a million who have already gotten boosters. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/08/12/covid-booster-vaccine-shots/

3 Likes

My son’s doctor called him today, to say he is to come in and get a booster as soon as they can get their hands on one. The doctor is calling all immunosuppressed/transplant patients to let them know a dose is being held specifically for them.

16 Likes

@greenbutton , was he tested to know that the first series didn’t ‘take’ or do they just assume it? My mother is 86, had cancer (chemo and radiation) last year, but she’s never been tested to know her immunity level. One of the biggest problems is she has 100 doctors - surgeons, her primary care, but the one she sees most is the radiologist. No one ever made sure (or even offered) her the shots in Jan but be handled that for her as soon as she was eligible.

I just saw on the news that the booster was approved, but not many details except that it is for those with special conditions and ‘whose initial shots didn’t take.’ But how do we know?

This is the FDA announcement:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-additional-vaccine-dose-certain-immunocompromised

My expectation is that right now, only people on immunosuppressing meds will be offered boosters, because studies are all showing that their response is not enough to be useful. Testing for reaction is inconclusive because of the complicated mechanisms of immunesuppression, particularly meds that target T-cells. That differs from the elderly and certain kinds of chemo, which tend to dampen response but at least there IS one. So while they don’t KNOW he has no response, there’s no good reason to think he does.

1 Like

Will he be getting the same vax or different? Do you know if the dosage would be the same?
I think I am going to get a booster in September because I am traveling internationally in Oct.
I probably will do it ahead of CDC’s approval. It is not because I am concerned about supply but CDC is just so slow in their recommendations.

It is the same shot.

Studies have shown that as we age, we have less of an immune response. Elderly should be included too, in my own humble personal opinion of course. The second chart below shows the current inpatients at a hospital. The increased number in elderly vaccinated people is probably supporting evidence as well.

2 Likes

Elderly persons are expected to be offered them soon, but for people like my folks (late 80’s) in my state, they were among the very first to be vaccinated so do they already need a second series or a booster? Hopefully distribution will be more efficient for boosters, and we’ll get everybody done before winter.

My parents already said they’d choose a high risk 20-something over themselves, any day. I understand people who want a booster for any number of reasons, but hope they aren’t out there unintentionally making things difficult for people like my son. Looking at your chart, I could argue that elderly people have worse outcomes, but less exposure to unvax’d peers. For your average 20-something, that might be survivable…but for people like my son, he’s a sitting duck.

I am hoping for approval soon for a booster for the elderly since my parents and grandma were fully vaccinated in February.

4 Likes

"Mr. Bancel, Moderna’s chief executive, said his company would not have a vaccine targeted specifically to the Delta variant until the end of the year. Pfizer is on a similar track.

Both companies are expected to apply soon to the F.D.A. for authorization of a third shot of their existing two-dose vaccines. Moderna is studying the effectiveness of both a full dose and half dose as a booster."

5 Likes

OK, I got the booster yesterday (I take an immunosuppressant and had my second shot more than six months ago). I wish I had read this thread first. I am Team Moderna, and this third shot has kicked my behind. No reaction with the first other than a sore arm. With the second, sore arm and tired and then a fever 18 hours afterward. This one I’ve got the sore arm, fatigue and a high fever going on 20 hours now that I can’t get down, chills. I just ate some soup and am feeling a bit better. I’m not able to sleep, however. I feel fidgety.

1 Like

What is the reason for the delay? Does a modification for a variant require clinical trials? If so, how do yearly modifications of flu vaccines get produced without needing clinical trials that could take longer than it takes for the flu vaccine to become obsolete due to virus mutation?

3 Likes

Yikes, have you called your pcp?

No, but I just took my temp now that I finally had lunch and it’s 99.9. Woot! Dh is at the store to get me sherbet so I hope to be good as new by tonight.

10 Likes

Sherbet is good!

Did you have an antibody test before you received your third shot? Just curious because your third reaction sounds like the one I had after my second shot.

1 Like