Anyone gotten a booster shot?

If folks can read this from the NYT, it’s the article referenced by the Deseret News, but the NYT gives a lot more info:

Including:

"A vast majority of vaccinated people who are hospitalized for Covid-19 are likely to be older adults or those who have weakened immune systems for other reasons. C.D.C. data show that 74 percent of breakthrough cases are among adults 65 or older.

Most states do not compile the numbers by age, sex or the presence of other conditions. But in Oregon, which does, the median age for a breakthrough-associated death is 83 years."

"Breakthrough infections are also likely to be most severe among older adults or those who have conditions like obesity or diabetes. These individuals have the highest rates of vaccination, and yet the highest risk of weak or waning immunity.

Their representation among the hospitalized may skew the percentages, making it seem that vaccinated Americans overall are hospitalized more often than is really the case."

In general, the article is pro vax, pro-booster (makes sense), and a warning for those in high risk groups to beware even if vaxed. This is something we’ve seen before and why we Creeklanders are super careful still around 93 year old FIL.

2 Likes

Source, please

What’s so sad is that the most vulnerable population to Covid is still vulnerable. :disappointed:

2 Likes

That makes getting them a booster asap all the more important

2 Likes

Doctor daughter got the booster. She cares for COVID patients and yes, the September 20 date is just arbitrary. She had one night of fever .

5 Likes

My brother has CLL and almost no antibodies from his two Pfizer shots (second one in early April). I asked if he was getting the booster and he just texted back: “Booked for my booster on Monday morning. My immunologist and CDC both recommend continuing with Pfizer, so that is what I will do. I don’t really expect much to come of this, but it can’t hurt me, so why not?”

3 Likes

An email today from the health system that I work for said they are only scheduling for very special circumstances at this time. Immunosuppressed, cancer patients, etc. They won’t be addressing general health care staff until another month or so. They seem to be following CDC guidelines of 8 months which would mean that even the earliest vaccinated health care workers (Dec. 2020-January 2021) will just be getting to their 8 month period.

The email also mentioned that it is recommended your 3rd shot be the same brand as your first 2. So Pfizer-Pfizer booster or Moderna-Moderna booster.

I finished my series in Feb 2021 so I will wait my turn as directed by my employer.

1 Like

Was there any particular reason for this? (Also, any mention of J&J? Although J&J is the least common vaccine in the US, a non-trivial number of people have gotten it.)

For other vaccine boosters (flu, Td(ap), MMR, etc.), there are no recommendations regarding choosing a specific brand or vaccine formulation of a booster in the context of the brand or formulation of the previous vaccine for the same diseases (and the previous brand or formulation may no longer be available)*. Indeed, even for COVID-19, international students who received a vaccine that is not accepted by their US university that requires vaccination will receive a different vaccine upon arrival to the US university.

*Meaning, for example, when you get a flu vaccine, you do not have to get the same brand as the flu vaccine you got last year, or when you get a Td(ap) vaccine, you do not have to get the same brand as the Td(ap) vaccine you got 10 years ago. Of course, if you are within a series, like for a two shot COVID-19 or Shingrix vaccine, you get the same brand within the series.

2 Likes

@ucbalumnus , The brief info that was available …

• These boosters are limited to Pfizer and Moderna at this point, and individuals should stay with same manufacturer as initial vaccine (e.g., Pfizer or Moderna)
  • Guidance for the J&J booster dose data is still pending

Well, at least Pfizer will finally be approved on Monday. Because 1000 Americans dying per day and overwhelmed hospitals apparently do not motivate FDA bureaucrats to work weekends.

3 Likes

Priceless :joy:

It is almost comical. After 360 million doses in the US, and billions worldwide, they have finally concluded it is safe. Better late than never, I suppose.

2 Likes

How is approving the vaccine on the weekend going to help?

If they’ve worked weekends then maybe they would have approved it earlier.

2 Likes

Rest assured Pfizer staff on all levels have worked many a weekend over the past year + to get us where we are.

5 Likes

Supposedly, there are some vaccine hesitant people who say that they are waiting for full approval. When full approval occurs, we will see how many of them will then go get vaccinated.

Some organizations (e.g. colleges) have vaccination requirements that are contingent on full approval.

This may not directly affect the use of vaccine doses as boosters for those who are already considered fully vaccinated (two doses of Pfizer or Moderna or one dose of J&J).

If FDA works weekends, those same people will complain that the approval was rushed and is not to be trusted. No matter what FDA does., somebody finds something to complain about.

How about the FDA works 24/7 until they approve the vaccine, is that going to make everybody happy?

2 Likes

An immunocompromised 31 year old relative, that is a school teacher, received her 3rd vaccine today. She was excited to roll her sleeve up.

For the question up thread that asked about my aunt and friends who received their 3rd this week, the pharmacist told them to answer the immunocompromised question as yes. Not saying what the pharmacist did was ethical; I guess he just wanted his clients to get the booster.

2 Likes

My daughter is one of those. She dug in her heels and just refused to get vaccinated. Then she said she’d do it when approved (I think this was her graceful ‘out.’ Now she wants to go on vacation to Hawaii so I think has plans to get it very soon but doesn’t want to tell anyone, so if they approve it on Sunday, maybe she’ll get it on Sunday. More and more of her activities will soon be restricted if she doesn’t get the vaccine - travel, restaurants, concerts.

I’m fine with her using the approval as an excuse. Anything that does the trick.

3 Likes

Interesting how many people are ready and willing to lie that they are immunocompromised or are getting their 1st shot when it’s really that they just want their booster NOW, no matter what. I’m sure that makes accurate record keeping all that much messier from a public health standpoint.

I’m waiting until my MDs order my booster or 8 months from my mid-Feb shot, whichever is sooner.

I also just asked the local cvs pharmacist when we should get the flu shot and whether to get it with the covid booster or have them x weeks/months apart. She says together is fine. She also said they haven’t received boosters yet. At this point, it seems boosters will be same as 1stand 2nd shots, but stay tuned.

4 Likes