Anyone gotten a booster shot?

My doctor and nurse friends have received the booster and suggest everyone should. If you are over 50, you already do have a weaker immune system, which is the question asked ( if any question is asked at all). The choice is, should the vial be thrown out or given to someone, anyone really. I chose shots in arms rather than vials in landfills, but up to you. Supply is plentiful, boosters may help, and in any event they do no harm. Anything to try to get the breakthrough rate down will help our overtaxed hospitals here.

Accurate record keeping was never a priority of the covid campaign, saving lives was.

2 Likes

I look for consistency. The inconsistency of many here is mind boggling to me.
Lying is lying is lying!
Lying to say you are vaccinated when you are not is WRONG!
Lying to get a booster shot or “omitting” the fact you’ve already been vaccinated to go get a booster shot is WRONG!

4 Likes

So the new rule is all people over 50 are immunocompromised?

1 Like

IMO, What’s wrong is throwing out vials that could keep people healthy and prevent further spread. What is wrong is an arbitrary and random date to roll out a bureaucratic process when in most places the vials are in place already and ready to go. What is wrong is people getting sick and further transmitting the virus to children and others over the next 5 weeks, when that was preventable.
I guess it is a matter of which wrongs you see as greater. There is a reason many doctors have boosters.

11 Likes

You’re trying to justify lying. Lying is wrong no matter if you think the reason for lying is good or bad. I can think all those things you just stated are wrong or bad but if I go in today and say I’m not vaccinated or tell them I’m immunocompromised, I would be, in fact LYING. Lying just the same as someone who says they are vaccinated when they are not is lying. Sorry, WRONG in both cases.

5 Likes

Well, I guess we can just disagree on this one. I suppose I could have booked a flight to Paris, exposed hundreds of others on the plane and in the airport, greatly increased my carbon footprint, and obtained a booster shot there, but I chose to walk down the block instead. If supplies are plentiful and vials discarded, frankly, I can’t imagine why you care what others do.

I really don’t care what you do. All I was doing was pointing out that lying is lying. You are willing to lie if you think the reason is good enough. I’m not willing to lie.
Pretty simple actually. Have a nice day!

2 Likes

I may be out of line, but my fuzzy memory makes me think you are Christian. If so, then the Biblical story of Rahab could be useful in this situation. She lied to save the spies lives (Joshua 2) and was praised for it in the Bible.

“And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way?” James 2:25

The Bible doesn’t say lying is right, but it is justified to save others’ lives.

To me that means:

Lying to gain “whatever” for yourself (pretending to be vaccinated) → wrong

Lying to protect others’ lives → can be justified

And if I’m incorrect about your faith, I sincerely apologize. That was never meant. Your faith is 100% up to you. Same for everyone on this board - or planet.

The rest of the post could still be of interest to those who are Christians or who have contact with them and the topic comes up.

8 Likes

No offense taken @Creekland
I am Catholic. I do not believe in lying.

I also do not believe that lying to get a booster shot after being fully vaccinated falls into your category of justification. I stand by my decision not to lie and I stand by my thought that lying in both cases when it comes to vaccines is wrong. If others feel they can justify their lying that’s fine. We have great diversity of thought in our society and I appreciate hearing everyone’s rationality. I don’t always agree but I strongly believe we all have the right to our own beliefs. That is something that is going away in recent times.

5 Likes

There was a story about a guy in a high outbreak area getting a second series of shots. He had originally gotten J&J but came to not trust it against delta. He went to a pharmacy and they asked if he’d had Pfizer or Moderna and he honestly said no, and got those.

Doctors has no issue with that and said medically it made sense. Some doctors recommend it. My friend who had J&J is following the recommendations closely as she’d like to get the booster now. J&J hasn’t done testing on getting a Pf or Mod shot as a booster, but the science makes sense to do it.

The city of San Francisco is giving additional shots to anyone who had the JJ vaccine upon request

I assure you they (FDA staff) are working 24/7 and many a summer vacation has had to be postponed

1 Like

From Forbes

“Israel is the first country to offer a third shot of the Pfizer vaccine in a nationwide booster campaign. Preliminary research in Israel suggests booster shots significantly increase protection against the coronavirus a week after a person receives the third dose.

Israeli national HMO Maccabi Healthcare Services, which conducted the preliminary study of 149,144 Israelis who received three Pfizer shots, said for Israelis above age 60, a Pfizer booster shot reduced the chances of infection by 86% and reduced the chances of severe infection by 92%.

The early data reflects studies by vaccine-makers Pfizer and Moderna and provides a glimpse at boosters’ effects in a real-world setting.”

Pretty compelling and easy to digest the why!

3 Likes
1 Like

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/619789/

Looks like a bad idea to practice medicine without a medical license.

4 Likes

Right, we should wait 6 months since last vaccine. No dispute on that. And the youngest and healthiest among us do not need to rush, even then. We all agree.

3 Likes

This was the answer to question posed by an educator on a live Q&A on the Washington Post yesterday :
“Debra, good luck with resuming classes! There’s nothing special about 6 months or 8 months, it’s all kind of arbitrary, where does one draw a line and say, here is the moment we need to give people a booster. Dr. Collins, the director of the NIH, said that to us yesterday: Nothing magic about 8 months. It’s just that the studies have shown a gradual decline in protection against mild to moderate disease. The White House and the doctors who are part of the task force made a judgment call – a booster at 8 months seemed about the right timing. But they’ve gotten some criticism, because the vaccines are holding up very well against SEVERE disease. When you go back to teaching, obviously you don’t want to get covid, even a “mild to moderate” case, which might keep you out of the classroom for a week. But you’re likely protected against a bad outcome.”

3 Likes

I think there should be an orderly line of groups to get boosters, beginning with the list I posted above. I cannot believe that anyone thinks it is okay to go to a drug store and lie about being immunocompromised. It is clear that that word refers to .

I have systemic lupus, finished cancer treatment a year ago and took low dose prednisone between my vaccines. But I am not technically immunocompromised. I am not going to get a booster right now.

Another thing to consider is holidays. I would love to get a third shot in late October or early November if it is okay for me to do that then. Then maybe I could avoid another Zoom Christmas. Jump the line now and maybe you will need one then.

The science is so uncertain. Eight month for booster is arbitrary. And maybe they will tweak for variants.

The expert in the Atlantic article said that public health info is going to be skewed by folks jumping the line. I really think that that data is important.

4 Likes

Agreed totally and without reservation. Folks should not be taking advice from anonymous sources (internet or otherwise). At the very least, check with your OWN doctor, not Facebook etc doctors.

1 Like

It would be so nice to have 6 months of reliable data, as the doctor in the article expressed. But By that time, the delta variant will have long burned through the population and we will likely be on to a new variant. It is overwhelming, but at least it is quick. Hence the decision by Israel and Europe to boost now, since it appears to cause no harm and may possibly help. Delta should peak here around Sept 15; it is likely later in other parts of the country.