Anyone gotten a booster shot?

That is a very different situation than my walking in off the street into my local Walgreen’s and saying, “I’ll have two jabs of Pfizer today. Oh, and I see the 2-in-1 shampoo is on sale too. I’ll take that. So please ring them up!” That’s where the EUA comes in. Walgreen’s doesn’t need a doctor’s prescription today to give the vaccine, but it would for a booster.

By contrast, if come into Walgreen’s with a prescription for a booster from an MD or DO, there is a chain of accountability that I, as a patient, and Walgreen’s, as the dispensing pharmacy, have. I have absolutely no issues with that so long as a doctor is involved in that decision. That protects both the patient and the pharmacy.

All I ever look for in these discussions is consisistency. The same people saying follow the science are the same ones now pushing and encouraging the vaccine booster, despite no scientific data to back it up. The Pfizer data shows robust immunization with 6 month follow up with potential gradual waning. It is not yet peer reviewed yet they are looking into boosters. Israel used this information to start the boosters there. They chose a non peer reviewed study from the company that stands to gain the most financially from boosters. A study that shows immunity lasts at least 6 months (did not study beyond 6 months) and with the chance of severe Covid hospitalization being extremely low.
The tendency is for everyone to look for the sources that state what you want it to say. The accusations are that those choosing to do this are those not wanting the vaccine. The same people doing the accusing, are now doing the exact same thing because they want the booster. Choosing Israel’s decision based on a non peer reviewed study that doesn’t even support a booster at this time.

1 Like

Are you more comfortable with boosters for older people who have been tested and found to have limited or waning immunity?
Perhaps you could consider the plight of my friend. Nearly 7 1/2 months post vaccine. Tested and found his immunity is plunging. He intubates 12 covid patients, on average, per shift in the ER. Over 55 with a family. I don’t blame him for not waiting. I wouldn’t if I were an ER doctor, either.

10 Likes

I will be more comfortable with all of it when the vaccine gets full approval and not just EUA. (What’s the hold up?) After that happens if the studies indicate a booster is needed in those with limited immunity and the FDA approves boosters then I would be more comfortable with boosters. Personally I would prefer everyone get tested for there immunity before a booster is administered. And based on my reaction to the vaccine I will not be signing up for any booster unless they test my immunity and antibodies.

1 Like

Understandable. Of course, you aren’t surrounded by covid patients all day. Those that are may have a different risk assessment.

I agree with different risk assessments and if he and his Dr. agreed that was needed then I fully support their decision. This goes along with needing your Dr’s prescription for a booster at this time because it is not FDA approved. He also did exactly what I said I would be comfortable with, which is having his immunity and antibodies tested.

I prefer looking at the data from Israel. Here’s the latest I saw. Start on Page 4 if you prefer English (as I do):

And yes, my inclination is to be proactive vs reactive when a pattern is emerging from data points. No regrets. No plans to change.

If there were a decent option to test blood levels for immunity first, I’d go that way. Considering I have a 20 something previously long hauler son (Moderna took away his symptoms, at least for now), and likely lost a blood relative uncle to Covid, I don’t trust my genetics to be among the most fortunate - and I like going out and living life vs staying inside - so I’m Team Vaccine while still looking at data as it comes out. It looks like I have about 2 more months to assess data before making a decision assuming the data continues to show what it has been showing.

Others can get on the bandwagon later if they want to - or not.

3 Likes

Think back to when the CDC was recommending NO mask usage, just handwashing, while at the same time, those of us who were following the news in China could see that there was very clear evidence of airborne transmission. Look at the CDC’s recent absurd recommendation that only the unvaccinated needed to mask in public spaces - when we already had a huge proportion of the population who were refusing both masking AND immunization! And how in the world were people to know who was immunized? Not to mention the fact that at best, against the initial strain, the vaccine was only 95% effective - which is great, but that still means that if you’re in a venue with 400 people (such as a supermarket), at best at least 20 of them would be non-immune, even if they had all been immunized, and if unmasked, possibly spreading aerosolized Covid, which then 5% of those there might contract, even if they themselves were immunized and masked, since masking is better at preventing dispersion than at preventing inhalation.

As for the FDA, it’s even worse. Their recent approval against their own medical committee’s virtually unanimous recommendation to NOT approve a dangerous, unproven medication that is purported to treat Alzheimer’s, shows exactly what is going on at the FDA these days. Someone in a very high position either did gain, or has been promised future gain, in exchange for that approval.

I’m no conspiracy theorist. But at this point, I pretty much take any CDC recommendation with a grain of salt. The FDA? The completely unwarranted approval of Aduhelm indicates that there’s corruption going on, probably in the form of a promise of a future highly lucrative job at Biogen to the person who overrode the committee’s recommendation to reject, and gave the approval.

For these reasons, I say, “Look to Israel”. They’re two months ahead of us on immunization with Pfizer. They were reporting only 39% efficacy against contraction of Delta variant, and no one here believed it until Provincetown (and many STILL don’t believe it). They’re ahead of us on a rapid, massive 3rd dose campaign - we should be seeing data from that in about a month. Look at the data coming out of Israel. Based upon it, my decision is made. I’m recommending that the immunocompromised (and an autoimmune disease does NOT mean you’re immunocompromised, unless you are on an immunosuppressant) get an antibody titer, since it is a reflection of whether the person 's B-cells have responded to the vaccine. If the titer is low, they should get a 3rd dose - Pfizer, Moderna, whatever. I also recommend that all who had the one JnJ get another dose now - Pfizer, Moderna, JnJ, anything they can get. And those who are six months out from their last dose? Probably best to get another dose, either Pfizer or Moderna, whatever they can get. And return to masking in public indoor spaces.

Yes, there is a risk of triggering a harmful immune reaction, but that risk is less than the risk of contracting Delta variant and it triggering a harmful immune reaction, or severe illness, or even death. Unless of course one returns to complete and total isolation measures, the way some of us were before the vaccine became available. Then one is safe without having any vaccine… until you need to go to the ER for something else, and contract Covid there.

7 Likes

As long as the booster is prescribed by an MD/DO, no issues.

I don’t think Pfizer has formally made a submission asking the FDA for a booster approval, but ongoing discussions with the FDA have been widely reported.

Thank you for your recommendations. I think I’ll stick with my Drs recommendations rather than recommendations from someone on the internet.

No one is suggesting otherwise. But please refrain from disparaging those who come to a different conclusion than you.

1 Like

I’m not disparaging her different conclusions. I’m commenting to the authoritarian tone that was used by saying “I recommend” what others should do. I believe everyone has the free choice to make their own decisions. I wholeheartedly support her conclusions and choices for herself. I just don’t believe in the telling everybody else what to do based on her “recommendations”

Move the conversation forward please. We’re all adults here and can make our own decisions. I trust that no user here thinks that any other user is an authoritative expert.

Pfizer’s study said that vaccine effectiveness dropped 6% every two months and was 84% at 6 months. Pfizer’s CEO says Covid vaccine effectiveness drops to 84% after six months (cnbc.com). Risk of hospitalization also increases.

“The good news is that we are very, very confident that a third dose, a booster, will take up the immune response to levels that will be enough to protect against the delta variant,” the (Pfizer) executive said. Israel has started those for over 60, yes.

The Pfizer study was not yet peer-reviewed for this article. The FDA, CDC and WHO are not yet recommending boosters. Personally I would like to see a booster that is geared to the latest variants, but for immunocompromised folks, a booster of the current vaccines makes sense.

1 Like

Which is it? 39% or 84%? Someone quoted Israel study 39% upthread. They are quite different 39% effective vaccine is pretty useless while I will ok with 84% still very good. If 84% holds, I’d be ok without a booster.

Why don’t they have data predicting a longer term than 6 months? Trials started July or August a year ago. If the vaccine is still holding up in the first trials, it could be good enough for a year.

Those figures are for delta I believe which has become the dominant strain only fairly recently. I agree the conflicting info is confusing. My impression from reading various articles is that perhaps one figure is for delta efficacy and the other is for the vaccine in general in terms of waning efficacy over time ? Also seems like different studies have shown different efficacy with delta. Maybe because Israel’s population has been vaccinated longer than say the UK population even though they may be vaccinated overall at around 65% so Israel’s overall population is “older” in vaccine days passed since full inoculation?

Everyday brings new info.

1 Like

An expert dubbed your local epidemiologist has a newsletter and Facebook feed which addresses those studies. She is highly regarded and has been active in the campaign to combat misinformation. Both Google and Facebook have sponsored her efforts to educate

1 Like

There are over 35,000 people associated with UCSF. Of the 183 infected, none needed to be hospitalized per reports. That seems to be pretty good. I’m sure they are taking it seriously. Over 90% of their staff is VAXED.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make.

7 Likes

For those interested, the difference in rates is partly attributed, inter alia, to the different populations and procedures in vaccination. The UK had already inoculated much of their elder population with AZ before the Pfizer study, so the age of UK participants with Pfizer was much lower. Moreover, the UK had largely not followed the recommended vaccination schedule, delaying second doses in an effort to broaden vaccination. Both factors are associated with greater efficacy.

2 Likes