Anyone gotten a booster shot?

I am sure that in our state (HI), the databases for vaccines do NOT communicate well with one another. I had a hard time getting the data from the in network pharmacy (CVS), to give it to my in network healthcare provider. That’s one of the reasons I wanted an internist who is in the same medical system and records as my lung doc.

It would be nice and better if there were a good statewide database, imho. So far as I and my primary care md can tell, there is none.

Insurance – Medicare or otherwise – was never needed as the feds were paying for the vax 100% for everyone within the US borders: legal residents, undocumented, and tourists just visiting. That being said, some providers did ask if one had insurance so they could bill the feds an extra Admin fee. But again, insurance was not necessary. (Everyone I know skipped those pages while registering to get thru to the appt page.)

And of course, if you went to your local CVS/Walgreens where you had previously purchased prescription, or a health care Center where you had been a patient, they could easily connect your records (if they chose to).

Thank you so much for your post, particularly the numbers, TT2.

It’ll be interesting to see how long the feds analyze Pfizer’s data submissions. (They have reasons to stall and reasons to rush…)

1 Like

At 39% efficacy, the vaccine would not have been authorized. Therefore not administered and useless. It looks to me the first thing we need to establish is which is correct, 39% or 84%, instead of theorizing what is what. I tend to believe 84% since that is what Pfizer put out after their study. I am assuming the study is done in a controlled group much like how they determined 95% efficacy initially.

Those numbers are a bit alarming. I read something about T cells. Are we protected by T cells even if IgG numbers are low?

Did they tell the pharmacy that they wanted a booster, or did the pharmacy think they were getting their first dose?

For comparison, do you know of

Do you have a comparison to the antibody levels measured at various times after other vaccinations, particularly those which are recommended periodically like influenza and Tdap?

I hope you and other health care workers and first responders get their boosters soon, TT2. Good luck.

1 Like

I was in NYC today. In Grand Central, there is a vaccine spot…get a shot and get free transportation vouchers. I am not from NY, and it was actually closed when I was there. But I do wonder if it had been open, if I could have just gotten a shot…no questions asked.

I was in NYC last week adn they had a street tent set up in the UWS on Broadway: get a jab and a bottle of water. Since I was OOS, I could have easily just rolled up my sleeve.

I wonder about those places too. If it’s a double dose vaccine how do they arrange for the second dose?

The one in grand central said it was a single shot…so maybe J and J?

Looks like the UK is going to roll out boosters to 32M people:

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-offer-vaccine-booster-shots-32-million-next-month-the-telegraph-2021-08-01/

2 Likes

What I am wondering is why the vaccine companies seem to be slow with vaccines specifically targeted against the variants. It did not take long for the vaccine companies to make a vaccine for the ancestral version of SARS-CoV-2 (most the waiting time was time for three phases of trials and government approvals), so making a version with the changes needed to target B.1.617.2 / Delta and other variants of concern (or even potential variants) does not seem to be all that difficult for them (much the way flu vaccine companies make new versions each year).

A booster dose of vaccine against the ancestral virus may help if there is waning immunity, but not as much as a vaccine that is a closer match to the current circulating variant of the virus.

Here’s a link for an EUA T-cell test. The information on the website explains a bit about T cell immunity and when the test could be helpful.

I have heard that some vaccines have more of a T cell response than others. And in the paper that looked the longer interval between shots in the UK, there was some discussion about the T cell response varying with the change in interval.

Looks like this is for NY residents only…

https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/popup-vaccination-stations

In July, Pfizer released news that they have an updated version of the vaccine and are starting trials.

2 Likes

On the form there is no where to say you want a booster.

1 Like

They are also giving $100 for getting a vaccine.

1 Like

It would be interesting to know if anybody got a booster (we will never know).