Anyone gotten a booster shot?

It seems that everyone are trying to get boosters before holidays. I was trying to book appointment for my DD who is in town for the third Pfizer and hardly was able to find one appointment right before thanksgiving. DH and I still need to get ours but unlike her, we don’t have active social life so still trying to weigh all pros and cons of getting boosters at this time.

D1 just got both her Booster and Flu. She is in FL, had no trouble getting one for the next day.

I just returned from overseas and while I was getting my PCR test to return, my wife and I decided to also get an antibody test. They tested IgG; hers was 2700 and mine was 3500. The form indicated that it should be above 50 which clearly ours was…Does anyone have any experience with this type of test? I googled around a bit and was unable to make a lot of sense of the numbers. At this stage we are certainly not planning to get the booster as we “think” we have plenty of antibodies but it would be useful to know a bit more about the ranges for the IgG tests?

1 Like

Which antibody test did you take? Which lab? My understanding is that there are tests for ‘native covid infections’ both IgG and ImG. But the ones I’ve been able to find (Quest/ Lab Corp) state 'do not know if relative to vaccine…The test I took specific and upper range to the returned value was rather uninformative.

I have not read all the posts so I apologize if this has been covered. Any thoughts about a healthy 21 year old male getting a booster? My college aged son is coming home for break and he lives in a dorm. Wondering if people are considering getting their kids boosted? Booster are allowed for 18 and up in our state.

My wife is hopefully coming back to the US on Saturday, so I will check the documents when she returns as she has them. Most everything on the test is in a foreign language that I do not speak and that she speaks but it is her third language and her knowledge of medical terms in it is not great.

The test indicated that if the score was > 50 then you had sufficient antibodies and mine was 3500 but I have no idea is that really, really great vs decent.

1 Like

Both my girls, 18 and 21, got their boosters. One has had several people around her get Covid recently and Delta is just making it’s way there. The hospitals around them are filling up and the university is asking they get boosters (no mandate). The other is about to start working at Disney, so could have lots of exposure to many people.

I just booked one in MA for my 22 year old college student next week when he comes home. He lives off campus and the school requires masks inside but COVID numbers have still been inching up at his school. I figured it wouldn’t hurt, particularly as we are hoping to travel over the Christmas holidays.

Our S got his booster (he just turned 34). Our D plans to get hers in the near future. She’s 32 and lives in a room in a house with many others.

I would consider his lifestyle. If he is involved in many social activities, then yes

So my wife had to get a PCR test today and asked the clinic re the antibody tests we had done that I mentioned previously upthread.

My and wife’s results were 3500 and 2700, respectively, and test document indicated results needed to be above 50. The dr at the lab said our results were very good and she thinks results can be as high as about 10,000. Dr said from what she has seen, antibodies higher after vaccines than actually having Covid…so for now, no boosters for us…

My 21 year old D was received her booster and the university is encouraging them for all students before they go home for break.

2 Likes

S is scheduled for a booster early next week. He is a 25 year old grad student and has asthma. No trouble getting an appointment.

I assume it’d take two weeks for the booster to become fully effective. If that’s the case, isn’t it a little late if the purpose is to prevent infection for a Thanksgiving get-together?

My impression from the communication from D’s school was that they meant winter break, not Thanksgiving.

Yes, but why not get it anyway? I was going to get a booster anyway and S had his vaxx in May so he could not get the booster until now.

Agreed. And if one’s goal is to prevent infecting others, everyone attending a Thanksgiving gathering can do an Abbott BinaxNow test that morning.

1 Like

My friend also had a stroke-like reaction after the 2nd Moderna shot (one side of her body lost all muscle function, and she had the “face melt” on one side). She is better now after lots of steroids. Strokes do run in her family. She also has had severe tinnitus since receiving the shot. She believes both were caused by the vax.

I just received my 3rd Pfizer 2 days ago. Significant arm pain, headache & pretty bad chills overnight but feeling better 24 hours later. I don’t regret getting it.

By most accounts, the effectiveness of the vaccines wane less in young healthy adults. They are likely to still have sufficient immunity after 6 months. With the expectation that the coming winter wave may not be the last, it may make some sense to extend the gap between doses for these young adults, especially if they’re male.

FDA expands Pfizer booster EUA to include everyone 18+. https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-receive-expanded-us-fda-emergency-use

ETA: Moderna booster EUA expanded to include 18+ as well: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Expands Eligibility for COVID-19 Vaccine Boosters | FDA

CDC meets later today to bless the expansion.

3 Likes