AP Credit

<p>I got a 4 for my AP Calculus class and thus, I believe, will get 5 credits for Calc 221. If I need another math class, do I need to take Calc 222 or an easier math class is ok? Thanks.</p>

<p>A 4 on AP Calc AB gets you out of Quantitative Reasoning Part A. So if you have nothing else and didn’t test out of it, you will need a Quantitative Reasoning Part B.</p>

<p>A very important thing to realize is that you don’t need to take Math 222 or even a Math class to fulfill that Quantitative Reasoning Part B requirement. You can take Physics 109, Econ 101, Astro 103 (with the lab), and the list goes on. A quick way to check what will satisfy the requirement is to go to the Student Center, search for classes for Fall 2009, and select Fulfills Quantitative Reasoning Part B. They all have some math based aspects to them, but it broadens up what you can take a little bit. Personally, I loved Physics 109 (Physics in the Arts), but I didn’t take it for that.</p>

<p>I don’t know what “easier” math you would take though. I don’t think they would allow you to enroll in one of the 100-level math classes, and even then, they only satisfy Part A. You could start the two-part calc sequence, which is Math 211 and then Math 213. You could “retake” 221 (or 211), and I think it would qualify for Part B, but then I don’t know if you would still retain the AP credit.</p>

<p>It’s interesting though that passing the AP exam gets you credit for 221 and out of Quantitative Reasoning Part A, but if you just take Math 221 at the university it counts towards Part B. I can guess why they would do that, though.</p>

<p>Freshman D is taking Physics 109 (Physics For The Arts–the ‘mechanics’ of sound & light) to fulfill Quant B after getting a 4 on her AP Calc AB test. As a parent, I’d no doubt bomb it, but it does sound pretty cool.</p>

<p>UW-Madison, IMO, has an amazing palette of different classes to fill core requirements. You definitely have to look for them, tho, and at SOAR have a Plan B (and sometimes C,D,E!) because upcoming freshman regularly get closed out when classes fill up.</p>

<p>Thank you jnm123 and Pathetique for your comments. I also got a 5 for AP Statistics so I think that will fulfill Quant B, but I will check out Physics 109 though since it sounds interesting and I do need to take some Physics classes anyway.</p>

<p>^I think it will, since I took AP Econ and passed both with a 4, and I was told by my advisor that my Quantitative B was fulfilled from that. Passing with a 5 gets you credit for Stats 301, which is a Quan B course, so you should be fine on that area.</p>

<p>And the Physics 109 class isn’t a “real” physics class, and this is the professors’ words here (there are two professors for the class. PUPA is just amazing. :] Probably my favorite professor yet). The hardest thing you even do (they say) is Snell’s Law, and your application of it in the class isn’t even that difficult. Still a great course, though.</p>