AP Credits

Is there any downside if a student accepts all of their AP credits? Coming in with 10 AP scores that qualify for credits.

Yes, some majors prefer you take the course (ask for your major). Sometimes you might want to take an ‘easy’ class to raise your GPA (like one you have an AP score for already) if you take the AP credit right away that gets rid of that option ( an ex. is business majors have to qualify for upper division with certain courses at a specified GPA if you end up short on GPA points you could go back & take an AP course for a grade). You have a max limit of units for graduation so if you’re just taking them to take them, you might be over & for instate if you’re below a certain # of credits at graduation you get $1000 refund. You do NOT have to accept them upfront, you can wait they don’t expire. Get advice from your advisor – once you accept you can’t go back and ‘un-accept’.

@marfalights - AGmomx2 is the gold standard on this board, so I will pretty much end up saying “what she said.” You do have to be careful not to take so many AP and other transfer credits that you can’t take all the credits you need in your major to graduate and still stay under the 170-hour limit. My son is OOS, but has an in-state tuition scholarship, so he limited his total AP credits accepted to 48 hours to avoid the OOS tuition penalty. Most of these were used toward his engineering major, his two minors (German and history), and to satisfy general university requirements. He left around 20 credits on the table.

After his freshman year, he has earned 79 hours (31 freshman year credits plus 48 "Transfer credits). Because of his department class requirements, it will still take him three more years to graduate, with just under 170 credit hours. He may even graduate a semester or two late if he co-ops.

If you are an Engineering major, they advise you not to use many of your AP credits. My son chose to use one of his math credits (151) and also one of his physics credits (208) after he took 218. Although not recommended by his advisor, he was glad he did it. Physics is a weedout course. My son is now a sophomore with 56 credits starting his second year. He hopes to enter the fastrack program and earn his Masters and Bachelors in 5 years. He thinks he can actually do it.

@whciv01 My son is also thinking about fastrack. How/when do you apply?

He took his AP credits for Mth 151 and 152 and still got As in Honors Engineering Math III (253) and Honors Differential Equations (308). In high school, he was thinking about Chemical Engineering, so he was on the track that took AP Chemistry but not AP Physics. So he only had honors physics before he took Physics at TAMU. He worked his butt off, but did get As. He’s been accepted into Aerospace Engineering, for which Chemistry is required, so he could use his AP Chemistry credits.

@Beaudreau
I was reading the policy on Excess Credit Hours at the following link:
http://registrar.tamu.edu/Catalogs,-Policies-Procedures/State-Policies/Excess-Credit-Hours

And the following exception to me sounds like AP credits would not count towards the excess credit hour policy - am I interpreting this incorrectly?

The semester credit hours counted toward the limitation include all hours attempted by the student except:

Semester credit hours earned by the student by examination or other procedure by which credit is earned without registering for a course for which tuition is charged.

@marfalights - I agree with the way you read it and it makes sense. They don’t want students taking more than 170 credits of classes funded, in part, by Texas taxpayers. I got what I posted third hand, via my son’s advisor. It doesn’t mean that she was correct.

As a practical matter, I don’t see how my son’s transcript would look any better to a potential employee or grad school with another 20-25 credits.

@Beaudreau My son spoke to the Engineering contact and they told him he could apply in his junior year. Here is a link to the department. http://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/fasttrack

They actually advised my son not to take a minor so he would have time to take the courses they mix with your senior year. He is hoping to learn more this coming semester.

Thanks @whciv01

AGmomx2 - Regarding business advancement to upper division, what specifically is required for upper division? I was under the impression, talking to an advisor, that there were not specific GPA requirements (obviously above a 2.0, though). We are visiting next week and I will be sure to ask, but thought I’d get your reference information. Can’t find specifics on the website. Thanks…

Here’s the newest Mays handbook - page 13. It use to be harder, big 8 instead of big 5- lucky you! http://maysweb.tamu.edu/maysnet/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/formidable/2014-2015Handbook-online.pdf Yes, I believe it is a 2.0, but it doesn’t say that in writing - I would ask to confirm & ask for the 2015-2016 version just in case it changed again!

@AGmomx2 to be considered for UL classes it says you have to complete the Big 5 - does AP credit count for completing the math sequence or do they require you take it regardless?

Thanks

AP credit counts, so with the reduction in courses you can achieve UD must faster now.

We just came back yesterday from my S’s NSC – I heard several times that 150 hours (or 30 above the 120 for a degree) was the benchmark for having to pay out of state tuition. It sounded like dual credit courses taken in HS, rather than AP credit, was more likely to be problematic, however.

Thanks @Loganator for the info - it is very confusing since the office of the registrar list the following exceptions to the 30 hour above the credit hours for a degree :

The semester credit hours counted toward the limitation include all hours attempted by the student except:

Semester credit hours earned by the student before receiving a baccalaureate degree that has been previously awarded
Semester credit hours earned by the student by examination or other procedure by which credit is earned without registering for a course for which tuition is charged.
Credit for remedial education courses, technical courses, workforce education courses funded according to contact hours, or other courses that would not generate academic credit that could be applied toward a degree program at Texas A&M University.
Semester credit hours earned by the student at a private or out-of-state institution.
Semester credit hours earned by the student before graduating from high school and used to satisfy high school graduation requirements (Effective June 2009).
Hours not eligible for formula funding.

Which to me sounds like both dual credit hours and ap credit would not count towards that limitation.