AP Seminar?

Hi, I was wondering how important it is for a student to take AP Seminar/AP Research in order to have a decent chance at a top tier college? I’ve heard the workload is insane for AP Seminar. S26 will be picking classes for next year soon, and is leaning against taking AP Seminar because upperclassmen friends have told him it’s not worth it. Currently in Eng 1 Hon. It’s his choice, I’m good what whatever he decides. But I want to find out parameters of either choice because he does want to go to a top tier and major in Math. Our HS has a Capstone Hon program for students who don’t take AP Research. I’m wondering about the “cost” of losing the option to take AP Research in his senior year.

Zero.

If he wants to take, fine. If he doesn’t want to take, also fine, assuming an appropriately rigorous schedule.

That’s heavily dependent on the teacher.

5 Likes

You should take it because it’s interesting, your student would enjoy it, and you’d learn research skills.

You shouldn’t take it because you think top schools want you to. In fact, forgetting top schools, even lesser schools either don’t reward it or only give you elective credit.

it’s not mainstream and from both a top LAC my daughter got into and the lesser public my kid goes to, Seminar and Research had zero impact.

In regards to difficulty - I think it depends on the teacher but also the student’s aptitude to the subject.

It was my student’s favorite two classes in HS.

But in regards to impacting college admission or being rewarded when there- zero. My daughter’s school gave the same credit she got for English - so was wasted.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Why was it wasted?

1 Like

Wasted - not in the courses which she loved and I’m super glad she took.

But in regards to the college credit it earns or how the colleges she considered - from a high level LAC to her current - viewed them in regards to granting credit.

In that sense they were a waste.

Agreed - not sure it’s of any use in college credit, as other AP courses also count.
It also was my son’s favorite class, though. He loved the discussions and intellectual stimulation and felt honored to have been accepted (it was invite-only at his school).
The course required something like a 70-page paper; it is indeed a lot of research and writing.
But again, for the right kid, it’s a chance to really grow.

3 Likes

As @skieurope said, there is no admissions ‘cost’.

Like any review, you have to factor in what you know about you/your son, what you know about the objective specifics, and what you know about the reviewers. Some of my favorite classes have been the hardest. For some of the Collegekids, a 70 page research paper on a subject of their choosing was the stuff of dreams- but for others the stuff of nightmares. Objectively, how the assigned amount of work fits with the assigned amount of work in other subjects will matter.

AP Seminar / Research is the most heavily school/teacher dependent AP of them all (followed by USHx & Bio, ime -but your experience may vary).

Not your question, but help him keep the definition of ‘top tier’ as broad as possible, and to explore the math options at colleges that aren’t the usual suspects. Also, if he is a serious math guy, consider looking outside the US (where the only APs that will matter will be the quantitative ones). If you/your son decide to explore that route, look at @AnnaW’s ‘math head’ and ‘math head update’ threads.

It’s only offered sophomore year at D’s school, and was one of the more intense classes she had that year (especially toward the end).

D enjoyed the thoughtful class discussions and her teacher was excellent. She learned writing techniques and research approaches that have been useful to her in other classes.

Doesn’t give credit at any of the colleges on her list I’ve checked so far.

Our HS offers several AP classes but seminar is not one of them.

So most colleges don’t give credit for it or at least they didn’t a few years ago but…
It was absolutely my son’s favorite class also. He credits the class and teacher for this class to help him become who he is today. He gained writing and speaking skills he didn’t know he had in him. In his school you have to take some advanced writing first.

He was extremely prepared for college and his first year English professor commented on this. Also he gained extremely valuable research skills that made things in college that much easier. He was not a good /great writer before. He is now. So I guess the worth sometimes isn’t about getting certain credits. It’s about if the class can help you grow as a person.

3 Likes