apartments/neighborhoods

<p>hey everybody im oos transferring for the fall, and was curious if anybody knew anything about what apartment complexes are generally known to be better than others, or neighborhoods that have any certain qualities and the like....or anybody who is currently very pleased or very displeased with their current apartment in madison? I'm just pumped to be going here and wanna know where to look to live! also...how important is having a car in madison? thanks!</p>

<p>Parent/alumnus here. NO CAR on campus- no parking close to classes- see the UW website on this. You would only use your car to go places off campus unless you pay high rates to park in a lot that is likely to be far from your classes. There is a free campus bus service and students get a free city of Madison bus pass. You can get bus transportation to Chicago O'Hare from in front of the Memorial Union at break times.</p>

<p>The best place to begin your housing search is the UW website. Check the more options for housing on the UW website to find what is available in off campus housing- you can do a search with all sorts of info. Just like the dorms some people prefer being near certain areas. The free web search will give you an idea of what is still available with all sorts of options- size, type, areas near campus, locations, amenities... Play with options to see what you can get. You can use Google Street View or Microsoft maps to get views of the streets and buildings to scout out areas.</p>

<p>There are myriads of options close to campus, they usually require a parent's cosigning of the lease. Once you read through the Off Campus Housing search options you learn how things work by the details in the listings- un/furnished, utilities (high speed internet as well as gas, heat, electricity, water...) being just some. Use the Madison Gas and Electric website to compare costs when trying to compare costs for an apt with/without those included.</p>

<p>Try to visit apts before signing a lease if you can. There are several apt management companies that handle rentals for many different landlords, you will notice these when you see the email/website contact info at the bottom of each of the search listings. Perhaps current students could give opinions with some data to back up their reasoning- nothing is perfect and students are known to complain about every management/landlord.</p>

<p>I can't give advice like wis75 did, because I myself haven't even looked at apartments, but wis75, is this the site you're talking about? Campus</a> Area Housing - UW Madison's Official Source for Apartments, Roommate Connections and Rentals in the Campus Area Because this is the one I see plastered everywhere, and what I'm considering consulting next year when I'm looking for my apartment for not this upcoming, but the next school year. Sorry I can't be of more help to you though, ray. :)</p>

<p>Also, yes, no car. If you want to go anywhere, you can likely get there by bus (or foot on campus), and like said, even if it's just getting to class everyday, it's not worth it to drive. Mopeds are a little different, though. Many have them. If anything, think about that. You do need to purchase a permit to park them, too. Winters can be a bit harsh though, and some days it is recommended/asked that you don't drive them (particularly on snowy days/when they're plowing), so if you plan on using a moped to get to class, make sure you have another way to get there.</p>

<p>For students there are about half a dozen general areas where students tend to live off campus. Close-in would be the streets off State between the UW and the Capitol. There are new high rises , older apartment complexes with lots of studios and 1 brs, and a dying group of older homes often divided into three flats on separate floors. Very convenient but tneds to be noisier and lots of traffic on some streets. East of the Capitol and about 1-2 miles from campus are the neighborhoods off East Johnson and Williamson Street. These areas have fewer big apartments and more old houses either divided into flats or rented as one unit. Lots of older students and grad students live over on the East side. Good bus service to the UW and lower rents. Can be nice and quiet away from main streets and you have nice parks on or near the lakes.
The next popular area is south of campus between Park and Monroe streets--often called the Vilas area as Vilas park and zoo are in the area. Very much like the East side but a little closer to campus and more expensive. Very desirable IMHO. Finally there is the near west side out Old University Ave past the football stadium. Not as many students but some very nice rantals. Popular with engineers and ag kids as it's closer to ther end of campus. I lived in all areas but the near west side and like Vilas and the area off Williamson (Jennifer Street, etc) pretty equally.</p>

<p>When you attend SOAR be sure to pick up the literature about rental cars. If my memory serves me right, UW-Madison has a fleet of Prius rental cars that students can rent VERY inexpensively- $18/day. The thought is that they can rent these cars for doctor's appts., going to malls, etc. Again, if memory serves me right, a student only needs to show a driver's license and maybe??? proof of insurance. I believe a student can register for free at SOAR and then becomes eligible to rent a car.</p>

<p>That's the site.</p>

<p>I have to slightly disagree with the car part. I just started attending UW-Madison this Spring. Now maybe (and most likely) because I'm in Engineering, all my classes tend to be in either the "Engineering Hall" or "Mechanical Engineering" building. Thus, I just park in the indoor 5-level parking ($8 for the whole day or $5 up until 12:30pm or the other parking lot which fits 20 or so cars and metered ($1.25/hour), and not too hard to get a parking there either. (Most if not all parking lots are free after 4:30pm). Here is a map of the campus which hopefully can give you a better perspective <a href="http://map.wisc.edu/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://map.wisc.edu/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Now it all depends on where you live. I live a 5 - 7 minute drive from campus. I don't like taking the bus because I usually like to control my own time and not somebody else control it for me. Also, beginning of spring semester Jan - Apr or so, it snows big time so buses tend to be extremely full because people don't want to walk and want to get warm.</p>

<p>In regards to houses, closer you are to campus the more expensive it gets. I got lucky and found a 1br apt (size of a 2br apt), unfurnished, heat and water and indoor parking included for $637/month. Apt is roughly 825+ sq ft.</p>

<p>The "car rental" program she mentioned isn't correct. </p>

<p>The program is Community Car, Welcome</a> to Community Car.</p>

<p>19 and a 3.0 GPA + clean driving record or 21 + clean driving record = you're in.</p>

<p>There are advantages to living close to campus and to not need to depend on more than your own feet to get to classes. It is also is easier to see people and do things at all hours when you can quickly meet on campus without needing transportation. BTW- there tend to be many more apt buildings that are not part of a "complex" near campus- think urban, not suburban sprawl and not much parking.</p>

<p>Thanks guys, Im just finishing up finals and pretty soon I can get my butt over there and check it out myself, but its awesome to hear things now cause I cant wait haha. Good to know I shouldn't worry about a car (my parents are probably MORE happy about that haha) I hope I get lucky with an affordable place near by. Sounds like I should have good options though.</p>