Apparently, we're back to the school-wide emails

<p>Sending us emails likely won’t combat racism, but don’t tell that to Dr. Witt…</p>

<p>“I learned late Tuesday afternoon that an unknown person or persons had chalked offensive words on a column of Moody Music Building. While the entire community would certainly be offended by this language, it could be particularly upsetting to African Americans.</p>

<p>“The words were removed as soon as they were discovered. However, I want to emphasize in the strongest possible terms that The University of Alabama finds this behavior totally unacceptable and strongly condemns any use of these words on our campus. Every effort will be made to identify and appropriately punish the individual(s) responsible.</p>

<p>“This University respects and values each member of our community. I hope that every decision will reflect that commitment.“ </p>

<p>Robert E. Witt</p>

<p>President</p>

<p>Whether or not it combats racism, such an e-mail makes it very clear where the university administration stands, and I think that’s a good thing.</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>I agree. The school can’t seem to win either way. If it doesn’t send these emails, the school is considered insensitive. If it does send them, then …</p>

<p>That said, people have to keep in mind that these odd things happen everywhere and, in some cases, the “victims” have actually done the damage themselves ( a recent case had a “victim” claiming a racist incident on another campus, and then the campus cameras revealed that the “victim” had done the nasty work.)</p>

<p>[Moody</a> arch chalked with racial slurs | The Crimson White](<a href=“YouA moves from Youtube – The Crimson White”>YouA moves from Youtube – The Crimson White)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I respectfully disagree. Dr. Witt’s statements certainly won’t eradicate racism. But to the extent that progressive listeners in his wider audience hear the message (repeatedly) that this is not George Wallace’s UA, and are thus influenced to bring their progressive thoughts and deeds regarding race to The Capstone, he will have contributed positively to the battle against racism.</p>

<p>The man can only do so much and I applaud his efforts. What have each of us done today to combat racism in any meaningful way?</p>

<p>Isolated incidents such as this happen at many great universities, unfortunately.</p>

<p>I applaud Dr. Witt for his prompt and forceful remarks. If he had not sent out a campus wide email his silence would have been as offensive as the language written on the walls of the Moody Music Building.</p>

<p>I love this last bit from the Crimson White article:</p>

<p>“In an email sent at 4:37 p.m. Tuesday, the University announced a new 24-hour hotline allowing students and others to anonymously report incidents of discrimination, harassment or hazing. The hotline number is 205-348-4258 (HALT).”</p>

<p>If the University markets this hotline well and educates the students and staff accordingly on its use, it could be a very good means of allowing the university to respond to incidents like these. Then again, they better be ready for the false alarms that invariably will happen as well. We all know how students like to pull fire alarms.</p>

<p>*Then again, they better be ready for the false alarms that invariably will happen as well. *</p>

<p>And be ready for fake incidents…like the one at another university where a girl reported that someone painted something racist on her dorm door…and then the campus cameras showed that SHE was the one who did it! </p>

<p>I love cameras…they keep a lot of mischief behavior and criminal behavior in check. More should be installed everywhere. This would also catch incidents that don’t involve actual students…just outsiders who might be up to no good.</p>

<p>Concerning the e-mail: Well, if it is a case of “Damned if we do, damned if we don’t”, I am glad that Dr. Witt picked the “Damned if we do” option. People may not like his e-mail or feel that it is enough, but he voices his (and the college’s opinion) against racism openly. He also responds quickly and to the whole student body.</p>

<p>The college will try to find the perpetrators but more importantly, this e-mail alerts the entire student body to what happened, and opens an avenue for dialogue among the students. The e-mail brings the incident to the forefront and does not erase what happened, but makes it obvious. What perpetrator wants to hear that they are being “searched” for and that now the entire student body is aware of their hideous behavior.</p>

<p>Kudos to Dr. Witt for not brushing the incident away but confronting the situation.</p>

<p>Kansasdemocrat wrote: “Apparently, we’re back to the school-wide emails…”</p>

<p>As an alum from way back, I think Dr. Witt’s response is appropriate. What would you propose that he or the university do? Install camera’s all over campus (are we to become a police state ala 1984), Dr. Witt rotate between buildings each night sitting on the steps with a shot gun waiting for a perp, etc. etc. </p>

<p>Am I disappointed that in 2011, some idiot (or idiots) found the time to desecrate my very much beloved and beautiful university, and potentially could be a classmate, professor, employee, or local resident, that may or may not come in contact with my 2 students? YES I AM! Furthermore, if I personally found these perps, they would be handled much more differently than if the university found them. </p>

<p>By publicizing the negative and lambasting Dr. Witt’s response, you may cause an unwanted reaction to these situations. He is bringing so much to this institution. Tread lightly in this area!</p>

<p>I would like to see the perpetrator(s) caught and their names and pictures printed on the front page of the CW for all to see. I do believe that Dr. Witt believes that sending these emails will help eliminate these incidents and they might indeed help as emails are a quick way to notify all students.</p>

<p>UA introduced its new HALT hotline a couple of weeks ago. It is great that students now have a way to anonymously report incidents. That said, for serious incidents where the student is willing to go on record of having reported the incident, it would likely be better just to call the police (UAPD) at (205) 348-5454 and have officers immediately on the scene.</p>