Applying to Ivies Class of 2013

<p>there are many high-achieving black people at my school (my county is largely made of african americans/hispanics), but even more blacks who don’t do so well. i’ve had to deal with being called white/oreo/etc my entire life, usually by my non-black friends, and i’ve just learned to laugh it off. i feel like it has more to do with the fact that i’m more reserved and don’t “talk black”/fit into other offensive stereotypes than my grades. i’m hoping that in college people won’t be so concerned with fitting everyone else into preset boxes based on their race.</p>

<p>Hi everyone! I’m new to this thread, but congrats to all of you who have been accepted into college so far. It’s an exciting (and stressful) process, but definitely worth it. I actually have had pretty good experiences with being African. Even though I many be called “oreo”, I don’t really take it to heart, because I’m super proud of who I am. I always try to succeed though, so I can show the world that there are smart black people out there, and just change negative stigma for those who still carry it. Good luck!!! :D</p>

<p>The way I see it, friends if they truly are such, wouldn’t joke so about serious problems within the African American race. They would have respect enough to hold their tongues. There were many people in hs I was forced to end friendships with bc of this. I have no time for that. Lol They know exactly what they’re doing. Trust me.</p>

<p>And about the whole giving back thing. In my youth I thought of nothing but becoming a successful doctor then pulling my entire race up with me (pretty grand ideas for a little kid, lol). But it’s unrealistic. I mean, at this juncture, it’s going to be tough for me to help the very people who’ve caused me the most heartache in my life. I’m almost bitter. If I do make it, I’ve done so sans support of any kind outside of my mom. Just thought I’d share.</p>

<p>^One of the reasons I brought up this topic within this thread is because I thought black kids going for the Ivies may have experience with this issue. You need to go back to motivate and inspire the kids that want to follow your path. </p>

<p>All young kids of all races want to grow up and be happy and live good lives. We got to help them. And in every high school, there are kids with no support that dream of greatness and posess potential.</p>

<p>That is your obligation. To make it a little better and easier and exciting for someone standing where you(and I) once stood.</p>

<p>White people are the minority at my school but i seem to be one of the only black student in my ap classes except for the faithful few that’s the reason I have applied to hbcu’s …I’m sure it will be quite refreshing to see so many talented black people all striving for success …I can’t wait!</p>

<p>@madaboutx </p>

<p>That’s a pretty huge undertaking. I’ll have to think about it.</p>

<p>At my large public high school roughly 60% white I am the only AA in NHS (3.5+ and 1 ap class at my school) and it is really depressing to me because we have do many smart black kids or ones that could be smart but they just don’t try…</p>

<p>I know a Yale grad that lives and works in the inner city at a non-profit. It’s funny because she is low income but could turn around and make far more money (STEM degree) in a heart beat.</p>

<p>That’s some real dedication. The non-profit is a charter school (at least I think that’s non-profit) - helping really smart inner city kids looking for a way out.</p>

<p>It’s important to make scholarship cool. In the 60s, academic achievement was part of the civil rights movement - it was a way to overcome Jim Crow and discrimination (At least one piece of a multi-pronged approach).</p>

<p>She really is dedicated. I can only hope to have such a character. </p>

<br>

<br>

<p>And agreed. I’d like to find a way to make education appealing to black youth.</p>

<p>I wonder what the URM acceptance rate at Columbia is. They have a very large URM population in comparison to other Ivies, and I met a sister who was accepted with an 1860 SAT today.</p>

<p>Edit: Just realized that she could be a Barnard poser.</p>

<p>An 1860?!</p>

<p>I cannot.</p>

<p>She’d better be the awesomest person in the world. >.<</p>

<p>I met a 1950 SAT Yale student when visiting w/ my D. I was hugely impressed, my W thought she was wonderful and my D liked her too. She had the biggest, brightest personality and made the day really fun. I could see her getting in without a problem if that came thru on her essays.</p>

<p>Barnard @ 1860 is very possible. i know sum1 wid 1900 superscore (800 math 570 w 530 cr) who got in. 2 years ago tho. and no she didnt have legendary ECs (they were good but not gr8)</p>

<p>As a 1940 UChicago admit and Columbia deferee, I feel compelled to pipe up.</p>

<p>Although I don’t feel as if anyone here is being judgmental or condescending, I must explain the issues that some (objective word is some, not most) admits to top schools, like myself and another friend, faced with testing. </p>

<p>1) Time. Some people, especially on this site, can study minimally and still arrive at the testing center and knock the SAT/ACT out of the park…I am not that type of individual. It took so much time for me to increase my Math SAT score, and even then, I could only focus on that particular section at a time. Before I found out I was admitted, I was still fully preparing to retake my SAT again.
It’s not that I’m a super slow learner, the SAT just presented itself as a huge challenge to me, which forced me to attack it in a gradual, systematic manner. If I would’ve retaken it in January, I have no doubt that I would’ve scored in the low to mid 2000s.</p>

<p>2) Resources. I paid for all of my SAT/ACT study materials with many a paycheck, and even tried to save up for classes at our local college, but the tutor turned out to be a fraud. Used that money for a Princeton Review course, and completely wasted all $400 of it. I sucked at online learning. Now I totally understand that many people can sit down with the Blue Book and consider that as the only resource/studying they need, but nottttt me. Nor some of my good friends. If I solve a problem through guessing, and I answer it correctly, despite the fact that I used a completely different approach than the study guide, I need someone or something to break down what I did right, or vice versa. </p>

<p>The SATs really made me reevaluate my ‘so-called’ intelligence, and for a while, I felt ashamed of myself for being admitted with such a low score, despite my valiant efforts to improve myself. But those tests are not and can never be an adequate measure of my intelligence, analytical ability, or intellectuality. And I’m forever grateful that UChicago thought so too ;-)</p>

<p>A 1940 in the SAT is an excellent score. Only on CC do people lose site of that.</p>

<p>Good luck to you.</p>

<p>I’ll cosign on the time and resources limitations. I didn’t test until my gap year bc I never had time!
I can’t afford extensive resources period. Those kids whose parents expend thousands on test prep? Wowowow. </p>

<p>Yea, CC in general makes me feel horrid about all the things.</p>

<p>MIT decisions are released next Thursday! I’m so nervous!!! Anyone in the same boat?
@ladylikeliz- My sentiments exactly. I studied for about a year and a half to get a 1960. I hope colleges could see this. Your story’s inspiring :)</p>

<p>U Chi’s decisions are released next Friday. Sooooo terrified.</p>

<p>I applied to Princeton, Dartmouth and Brown. I doubt I’ll get in though. :frowning: I only have a 1910 on my SAT. Wish me luck anyway guys :)</p>