Applying undecided and swithcing to engineering

<p>for the UC’s( UCB,UCLA,UCI,UCSD), would it be better to apply as undecided and then switch to engineering? im one of those 3.6/2100 applicants. </p>

<p>What is th eprocedure they use to allow applicants to swtich? some friends told me they give you some trial course or something and if you get and A/B, then you can get into the engineering major …is this true, what is the switching process?</p>

<p>I know for Davis you just need to complete certain courses with a certain GPA and guaranteed a spot once you fill out the paperwork. Davis doesn’t have enrollment caps for engineering majors though, which isn’t the case at many schools.</p>

<p>As far as switching, for Davis you just need to complete the necessary classes, get a few signatures and then turn the form in. Your major will be changed in a few days after that, assuming you fulfilled all requirements. For others I believe it’s an application process. You need to complete certain courses with a certain GPA before applying for the switch, but the change isn’t guaranteed because of how in demand the few available spots are.</p>

<p>So yes, if you get As and Bs in the classes required for switching, you can get into the college of engineering for whatever school. However, depending on the school your admission may not be guaranteed.</p>

<p>One nice thing about getting admitted to engineering is that it’s generally pretty easy to switch out if you decide it isn’t for you, whereas switching in isn’t always possible. As such, I would personally suggest applying under your engineering major of choice.</p>

<p>It’s hard to change into the Engineering department at UCLA. Pretty sure the same is for Berkeley. You need at least a 3.5 while taking Engineering coursework during your 1st year.</p>

<p>At UCSD, no. Apply for the major you want. If you apply undeclared instead of for an impacted major it will be HARDER to get into the major than if you applied for it and it doesn’t affect your chances of getting into the university.</p>