Are my reaches and targets okay as a Community College transfer?

I haven’t been on here since senior year of HS and now that I see a bit of transfer students on here, I hope to interact with many transfer students (esp from community college)

I plan to apply next year as a junior so hopefully by then, my EC’s and College GPA can increase.

US citizen

• Public NJ Community College

• Non-binary/ Hispanic

• First-generation

• Plan to apply as an economic major, and will 10000% apply for aid

• College GPA: 3.87

• Class Rank: For High School, I was around 150/300 (I was a bad student), College idk

• High School GPA: I don’t remember, last time I checked it was a 3.5?

Since I will be a junior transfer, I don’t think they consider HS school applications as much. Of course I will still have to send in my HS transcript but I don’t have it with me rn.

Coursework:
*I am taking Microeconomics and Intermediate Accounting

• I had to take basic math, but will take Statistics in the Fall
    *Took general ed courses: Composition Writing I and II, Intro to Theatre, Reasoning, and am currently taking Public SPeaking

Awards:

• Dean’s List
  • PTK
  • Won two scholarships

Extracurriculars
*Peer tutor in writing

• Current volunteer at my schools english resource center (for my public speaking course)

• Part of the SGA as Senate and Judiciary

• I don’t have as much EC’s because I work Mondays and Wednesday at a supermarket from 6am through 4pm, and Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays I tutor. Also, most of the clubs take place when I have work, class, volunteer, and tutoring *

Story:
*I do not have a license which bars me from doing a lot. However, I do what I can for someone that does not have a license
*My parents do not support me in CC

• I am currently facing financial situations and health problems, which led to now become a part-time student (was a full time student before)
  • TW: I am looking to go to a good university far from my state to alleviate myself from my family. It is dysfunctional and emotionally abusive. I hope to pass my road test by August (month of test), so I can be able to have a chance.

LORs:

• I emailed my intro to theatre professor a few months ago, who said she would be open to writing me a letter of recommendation
  • My business management professor said he would write me a letter of recommendation since I got an A in his course

Budget:
*As mentioned before, I am going to need a lot of aid.

Schools:

• Safety: Rutgers Business School in Newark, Ramapo College, The College of New Jersey, Rowan University

• Match: Baruch College NYC, Fordham University, Rutgers NB (in between safety + match), Hunter College,

• Reach: Boston University, Colgate University, Northeastern University, Villanova University, maybe NYU (mainly bc transfer acceptance rate is higher for all but still competitive af)

*Super-reach: Cornell University, Tufts University

*Holy crap, relax reach: Columbia University

• I have a higher chance of marrying Bad Bunny reach: Brown University, Amherst College, UPenn

If anyone who was a Community College student and transferred to a T25 could give me advice, that would be great. I will probably delete my account after a day or two.

Rutgers @ Newark accepts about 60% of transfers, so maybe not a true “safety” for anyone.

Fordham accepts about 50% of transfers - so with 50/50 odds, maybe more in the “reachy” category?

I think you have very, very plenty of reaches, so if anything, maybe check if Montclair, WPU are worth consideration. I believe more of your time should be directed towards your safety and targets, and then throw in only 2 or so “reaches” for good measure.

Also, check the transfer admission sites to make sure, if/that all colleges under consideration are indeed “need blind” for transfers, and/or that financial aid is available at all to transfers (I realize most will be fine, but this way you can disqualify any unaffordable option early on).

1 Like

Go see the advisor at your community college and find out about transfer agreements between your community college and local 4 yr public colleges. That is your only true safety. I’m sorry that your home life is so unhappy, but you’re not likely to get a full ride anywhere, which is what you need, so the next best option is your local 4 yr state college that you can commute to, assuming that your parents will let you live at home for free, and paying tuition with the fed loan you can get each year.

I applaud your effort to get your driver’s license. However, cars are expensive. You can’t afford one right now. I know that you’d love to get a full ride at some highly ranked college far from home, and somehow be able to afford a car too, and drive off into the sunset, but that’s very, very unrealistic. What would be possible is going to the local 4 yr college with the transfer agreement, commuting to it by public transportation. If I were you, I’d be very, very careful to get a degree with a high likelihood of employment with a high salary, so that you can finally move out on your own. Would you be able to get a great job right away as an econ major?

3 Likes

This is important (checking aid) as Tufts, for example, says:

“Although the financial aid budget at Tufts is substantial, it is a finite resource that is available on a limited basis to entering transfer students.”

NYU says:

“NYU only offers scholarships and institutional grants to transfer students in select programs.”

Make sure you the schools on your list can get you to where you want to be. There’s no point in applying to a school that you have no way to afford.

Good luck.

2 Likes

For an economics major, the usual preparation is:

• Introductory economics (micro and macro).
  • Calculus.
  • Statistics.
  • Typical basic transfer requirements and general education like English composition, etc. (varies by college).

Try to have these completed by the time you transfer.

Regarding financial aid, if you are still considered a dependent student, you will need cooperation from your parents regarding FAFSA and (if needed by the college) CSS Profile to apply for financial aid. The FAFSA definition of dependent or independent student is at Federal Student Aid , although some colleges may have different definitions.

1 Like

I’m assuming you know about the Garden State Guarantee, whereby if your families income is low enough, you would not have to pay for any tuition & fees in year 3 & 4 at a New Jersey public?

Also, you may want to check this list to see which colleges are need-blind for transfers (meaning they don’t look at how much you can pay when determining whether to accept you):

3 Likes

Wow, that is an incredible deal! Really eliminates the barrier to finishing a degree, IF the qualifying dependent student’s parents will submit a FAFSA.

2 Likes