Are these too many classes

<p>I am going to be an electrical engineering freshman next year. This is my potential schedule for next year. </p>

<p>Introduction to Engineering: 3 credits
Calculus I for Engineering: 5 Credits
University Physics: 3 credits
Creative Writing: 3 credits
Introduction to Philosophy: 3 credits</p>

<p>Am I taking too many classes starting out as a freshman, or is this a reasonable schedule for next fall.</p>

<p>Are you a Foote Fellow? Do you plan on exploring anything else that comes along with college other than the academics? Are you living on campus?</p>

<p>I ask these questions because if you’re “used to” college, settled in, able to manage your time/responsibilities/activities, and know what you want and know where you’re going, the schedule is very doable. The only hesitation is that, no matter how dedicated you are to your education, and no matter how successful you are or want to be, college is new: a lot happens, especially in your first semester. Time sort-of “runs out”, because you’re doing so many different things. Just think about that. If you’re moving away to come to UM and going to live on campus, I guarantee you won’t be sitting around doing your physics, calculus, and engineering homework everyday without having the opportunity to do a billion different other things that will be new to you.</p>

<p>On the other hand, maybe you can go ahead with this schedule and realize that engineering isn’t for you. I think three guys on my floor switched out of engineering after our first semester xD</p>

<p>I’d recommend toning it down. If you’re a Foote Fellow - definitely tone it down, you have room to do that. Also keep in mind that you can always drop a class after classes start. Further: you have no idea that this will be your schedule, since the advisors make your schedule for you, and you pick it during orientation week.</p>

<p>Both of my kids took 17 hours their first semester as freshman and it was do-able…both got excellent grades. There is still plenty of time to “play” and join clubs and such…
I say go for it.</p>

<p>The only reason I am taking both Intro philosophy and creative writing is so that I can have all my gen ed credits out the way. Hopefully I can do well on my upcoming AP tests and CLEP tests as well as community college credit. If I had to drop one, it would be Into Philosophy and I would take it Spring Semester. </p>

<p>Also, on my Cane Account, there is a button that says enroll on the shopping cart page. Should I hit enroll now and hope to change my schedule down the line if I want to, or should I hold of on hitting the enroll button?</p>

<p>As a first-semester freshman, you can’t actually enroll in classes until orientation. You need to meet with your advisor before you enroll.</p>

<p>Thanks for answering my question MarineBio.</p>

<p>Engineering is a lot of work - I have many friends who are engineering majors and they are often overwhelmed by it. Your course load might be too much but maybe you can try it out and see how it goes! There will be time at the beginning of the year for dropping classes so if you decide it’s too much, you can drop a class.</p>

<p>I don’t recommend doing this your first semester. Stick with the typical 15 credits to feel it out and then increase or decrease your courseload the following semester depending upon how it goes. My first semester I did this, took fifteen credits, then the next semester I took 18 because I felt I was able to. It went fine both semesters, but I’m happy I started with fifteen credits because it allowed me to ease into college and proceed confidently.</p>

<p>I think what rankir is saying is very true. My niece’s first semester was full of parties, get together, meet the advisor, spirit week, etc. You can always accelerate the pace later on.</p>