Are you guys thinking of applying to HBCUS

<p>I really wonder how many blacks on here actually consider the HBCUS or do they think they dont help at all?</p>

<p>I used to, when I was a child, ALWAYS, want to go to HOWARD. That was my dream school. I was in a all white neighborhood, and I wanted to see how it was to be always around people of my own color. </p>

<p>But then I thought, </p>

<p>How do Medical and Law schools view HBCUS?</p>

<p>Do they like em?</p>

<p>I know the sororities and Frats there are insane.
But I love how USC has a program where you can decide to go to Howard for a year to experience the HBCU culture! I would definitely take advantage of that when I go. </p>

<p>What are yall thoughts?</p>

<p>I would def go to USC. Personally, I wouldn’t go to an HBCU. They’re not the best… But thats just me cuz I wanted to go to a top school.</p>

<p>Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using CC App</p>

<p>I did not consider any HBCUs, but my brother fell in love with Howard and is going there.</p>

<p>I don’t think that Graduate schools will look down on you because you went to an HBCU. Plenty of people who go to third-tier public/private colleges that aren’t HBCs go to grad school, I don’t see why you wouldn’t have a chance at doing the same thing if you went to Howard, especially since it’s DC location gives you plenty of opportunities for internships and networking.</p>

<p>As long as you keep your grades up and your eye on the prize, you should be fine at Howard. </p>

<p>Google the "“Black Ivy Leagues.” I don’t know how accurate that list is. (I am a little suspicious of that and the Public Ivy League schools.) But If the school landed on that list, it means that somebody, somewhere thought it was a good school.</p>

<p>Key Findings</p>

<p>This study compared undergraduate completion
rates, post-graduate aspirations, choice of majors,
graduate program retention and completion of
students who attended HBCUs and traditionally
white institutions.</p>

<p>Twenty-one percent of all African American
undergraduates currently attend HBCUs, and
28% of all degrees awarded to African Americans
are from HBCUs.</p>

<p>Link:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.aypf.org/publications/rmaa/pdfs/HistBlackCollege.pdf[/url]”>http://www.aypf.org/publications/rmaa/pdfs/HistBlackCollege.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Nope, I’m not thinking of applying to HBCU’s. USC is my absolute #1 choice.
Aside from Howard, HBCUs aren’t really the best schools out there.</p>

<p>I’m applying to HBCU’s because it will prepare me to take on issues that black people face in the workforce. It’s up to you. I know many successful people that graduated from HBCU’s</p>

<p>Oh and I’m applying to other colleges too. It’s all about where you’d fit in. :)</p>

<p>Marine Bio We might be seeing each other at USC soon! Ayyee! lol</p>

<p>And the same is for me. Besides Howard, I aint considering NO other HBCU. </p>

<p>Realistchick…how do you know you will fit into a HBCU</p>

<p>Hahaha well let’s hope so!
I went online and saw some photos of a USC step show and now I’m dying to get in :D</p>

<p>Sent from my iPhone using CC</p>

<p>I visited every HBCU I’m applying to (Howard, Wilberforce, and Spelman). I loved how close everyone is. I like small schools and I felt like I was at home. I also am applying to non HBCU’s like davidson, Cornell, and Wittenberg. If you feel you fit in then you can actually see yourself going and surviving there.</p>

<p>Cornell? I hope you visit it first, because it is literally out in the middle of nowhere. And I see your from Chitown…just saying.</p>

<p>OMGEE! </p>

<p>I saw that usc step show too! Uhhh! I don’t know if I want to be in a sorority or not though…Maybe…cause uhhh I wouldnt mind meeting some sexy frat guys lol</p>

<p>@Loveispeac3 I visited and really liked it. I’m tired of the city. :slight_smile: I think, change is good.</p>

<p>I know one person who went to Howard and then another who went to Spelman and then they went on to Wharton and Harvard Law respectively.
DO what you want to do…go where you feel happy.</p>

<p>I strongly considered attending Howard. However, after viewing numerous forums where students said things along the lines of: “If you can’t dress, don’t come to Howard,” I was immediately scared away. Some students said they were actually teased for not dressing correctly. </p>

<p>Materialism, superficiality, drama, are all things that I despise, and I didn’t want to have to worry about getting judged if I wore a pair of sweats to class.</p>

<p>Thats why I don’t wanna go to one…HS all over again.</p>

<p>Personally, I don’t feel like I’d fit in at an HBCU.</p>

<p>There was a pretty good thread on the African-American forum about this last year. When deciding to go to a HBCU, just remain mindful of a few things:</p>

<p>[ul]The graduation rates are not very high.
[<em>]The resources are not as plentiful as you might find at another private school of similar cost.
[</em>]There are some notable problems with administration.
[<em>]The environment isn’t for anyone.
[</em>]The quality of academics can be questionable (this depends more on the department).
[/ul]</p>

<p>It’s ultimately an individual decision, but just go in with your eyes open.</p>

<p>Aside from academics, diversity is the biggest factor in what I look for in colleges. I don’t think I can go to any school where there is a lot of one particular race.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>My sister went to school in D.C and has some friends who went to Howard. She said everyday is like a fashion show there.</p>

<p>Like you, I’d much rather go to class in sweats :p.</p>

<p>I question how valid those comments were about fashion. I can speak from the experience I had at Tuskegee Univ. and sweats were very common in that Engineering building. </p>

<p>Although I am aware that at business schools at HBCU dressing appropriate to class is a requirement.</p>

<p>Another point I would make as far as fitting in at a University, if you attend an HBCU it is the very epidamy of being some place that you will fit in and fill most comfortable!!</p>

<p>Just imagine being a little bit of an out cast in high school as a black student for being interested in science or engineering or what ever. Now imagine being in class rooms filled with people who look like you, who’s parents look like yours, who have had similar backgrounds as yours all of whom are also just as interested in the same things you were interested in.</p>

<p>As far as the diversity issue, many find it positive and up lifting to be in an environment filled with all races and creeds. An environment where in many cases you are still the minority. But, for myself it was up lifting to be in a diverse environment of Black folk from every walk of life and every corner of the world. By the time I graduated, no one could tell me anything about how “we” were or how “we” acted or the things “we” were into.</p>

<p>Thank you Tusk91.</p>

<p>Please allow me to add my 2 cents. My D was dead set against HBCU’s could not get her to consider them. Howard U sent her a free application she applied just to please me. After being accepted she was invited to a Scholar’s luncheon Super Bowl Sunday. We both were extremely impressed. HU went from being last on her short list to #2.</p>

<p>IMO the most impressive quality were the students. They were just like her, Very Bright determined, ambitious. They came from all over, California, Minnesota, Colorado. My D attends a public HS where there are not many AA’s. Many stated that was their story, now they enjoy being surrounded by other AA’s with a strong desire to learn and succeed. </p>

<p>She did not chose HU but they truly made her decision a lot harder than she/we expected. </p>

<p>Keep an open mind.</p>

<p>As for the fashion show I must have missed it, believe me I read the reviews so I was actively looking. Maybe they just dress up for class and relax on Sunday’s. :-)</p>