Are you guys thinking of applying to HBCUS

<p>Well my college search is over, I’ve already sent in my deposit the school I will attending in the fall. That being said I personally chose not to apply to any HBCUs. I truly felt that I wouldnt fit in at one and I would be miserable. I actually had the opportunity of having an internship at Howard during high school so I got to see how it really is and I did not like it. I felt like it was high school all over again. I wanted to go to a place that has a lot of diversity , was known for my major and also had world class resources. I sometimes feel that hbcus are in a class of their own and that they don’t stand on the same playing field of other universities in the U.S. But it really depends on the person, some people love it.</p>

<p>Agreed HBCU are in a class all to there own but, there are countless examples where they compete just fine with many PWI… </p>

<p>Link:</p>

<p>[HBCU</a> Facts](<a href=“http://www.thinkhbcu.org/hbcu_facts.htm]HBCU”>http://www.thinkhbcu.org/hbcu_facts.htm)</p>

<p>[The</a> HBCU Blog: Howard MBA Program Ranked in Top Ten](<a href=“http://blackcollege.blogspot.com/2011/03/howard-university-mba-program-has-been.html]The”>The HBCU Blog: Howard MBA Program Ranked in Top Ten)</p>

<p>The Howard University MBA program has been named sixth on the U.S. News and World Report list of “10 M.B.A.s With Most Financial Value at Graduation.” The list ranks the 10 business programs where graduates earn the most in their first year relative to their debt load. Howard is the only Historically Black College and University on the list and is also listed in the top 100 schools in the U.S. News Business School ranking.</p>

<p>Good YouTube on "A Day in the life of a FAMU Pharmacy student.</p>

<p><a href=“A Day in the Life of a Pharmacy Student - YouTube”>A Day in the Life of a Pharmacy Student - YouTube;

<p>A Day in the Life of George Burns, a fifth-year pharmacy student from Tallahassee, Fla., is more than taking notes and lectures. This well-rounded individuals balances his school work, fraternity & recruitment for the university-- all while maintaining a 3.7 GPA. This is a Day in the Life of a Pharmacy Student…</p>

<p>GodgivenWealth I agree…I am more of an international person and need to see more then just one race.</p>

<p>I’m currently doing my senior thesis on HBCUs and I find some of the thoughts on this post ignorant. I’m going to Howard in the fall, don’t judge a school off of forums, go see yourself, and do research on them. I never considered a HBCU when I was younger and Howard was originally a backup for me. I educated myself and fell in love with it. I got accepted to Columbia, Brown, Barnard, Conn College, Fordham, NYU, Suny New Paltz and all my CUNYs. I’m choosing Howard. Howard is one of the best HBCUs and they are definitely good schools. Take a look at the alumni. If you work hard, and you are successful at a HBCU consider your life set. Firms and law schools and medical schools look to HBCUs first when looking at applicants! The networking there is absolutely amazing and may I remind you that the number 1 way to get a job ESPECIALLY after graduating college is through networking. Be your own person, everyone has their own style so you shouldn’t not go there because of being afraid of being teased on how you dress. Howard is indeed a fashion forward school and that could be a good or bad thing but it can teach you adaptability or individuality, take it how you want it. </p>

<pre><code> “Black students that attend HBCUs have significant identity
development advantages over their counterparts at PWls (Lang, 1994). Some
of these benefits are that African American students at HBCUs are more
psychologically adjusted, perform better academically, and have a better
sense of their cultural identity (Allen 1992).” (Benton 25). "
</code></pre>

<p>If its anything that I’ve learned its that no one can stop you from doing what you want to do but yourself. Do you know how many people go to Harvard and end up being bums on the street? TOO Many! There’s no point in going to Harvard if your not gonna come out successful, same thing with Howard. Its not where you start its where you end up! So who the hell are some of you to say that HBCUs aren’t good schools? Have you spent a month at one? Have you ever took one of their classes? The biggest thing you can ask for in a college is for happiness. If you aren’t happy, why the hell are you even there? Obviously HBCUs aren’t for everyone but neither are PWIs (Predominately White Institutions) and sometimes college isn’t for everyone either. All I know is that when I graduate college, I’m going to be successful. I’m 17 and have worked at 2 law firms, 1 insurance firm and 1 PR firm. I’ve competed with private school students for these jobs and I’ve obtained them all. They’re schools had more money and some of the students probably did a little better than me academically but there was something that set me apart in each of my interviews. So name isn’t always everything sometimes its just who you are and what you’ve been through. Be open minded. That is all I have to say.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Here’s the full story:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/articles/2011/03/17/10-mbas-with-most-financial-value-at-graduation[/url]”>http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/articles/2011/03/17/10-mbas-with-most-financial-value-at-graduation&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>That datapoint ONLY reflects the ratio of debt to salary. While relevant to some, it does not represent a qualitative measurement nor a compelling comparative point. There are many variables to the debt at graduation, starting with people who do not borrow to attend school. </p>

<p>Business School U.S. News B-School Rank
CUNY Zicklin School of Business 85
University of Georgia Terry College of Business 57
University of California—Davis Graduate School of Management 28
Texas Christian University Neeley School of Business 80
University of Florida Hough Graduate School of Business 47
Howard University School of Business 91
Florida State University College of Business 94
Texas A&M University–College Station Mays Business School 32
Georgia Institute of Technology College of Management 28
University of Cincinnati College of Business 75</p>

<p>ohwhere.</p>

<p>I’m not going to lie, the best HBCU to go to is Howard. That why I am definitely having it as a safety(just in case) and I’m going to visit it along with Georgetown.</p>

<p>However,
I don’t think you should cal these other people closeminded. </p>

<p>They have there opinions, and if that was the vibe they got, then so be it. They werent meant to experience it. Howard is only for certain people. </p>

<p>My mom told me to stop looking at Howard long ago when I was about 10, because her husband(step daD) felt I should go for higher things. I told him, Howard IS higher things. It is the most prestigious HBCU, right along with Morehouse and Spelman. I even saw it on my counsler’s wall(and she is as white as it gets)</p>

<p>Trust me, when a well educated White counselor like mine talks highly of an HBCU, it must be worth checking out. </p>

<p>Also, did anyone by chance catch the many times Morehouse and Spelman students were on Anderson Cooper’s 360 on CNN when African American issues were brought up.</p>

<p>Well educated, very confident, and seems to know there background. </p>

<p>I think that when a black person is educated in a HBCU, they get to know more about their culture and history than in a PWI. PWI don’t talk about history like the way HBCUs talk about history.HBCUs give the students the history, and most of the time it is POSTed around the campus to remind US where we came from. </p>

<p>Its a total different culture. </p>

<p>some HBCUs I do know that are like a big high school though( Texas Southern). My cousin goes there…never graduated and been there for 6 years.</p>

<p>Dont look for prestige at an HBCU cuz its not there. IMO, who cares if howard is a prestigious HBCU, its def not a prestigious school when ranked nationally, its barely tier1.
But in the end, it’s about what you want/care about in a school. If prestige is what matters, then you need to shoot way higher.</p>

<p>Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using CC App</p>

<p>Blackbanana, I think Love is referring to Howard’s prestige in the black community. Hence, “the black Harvard.”</p>

<p>If you compare the name of Howard, Morehouse, Spelman, Xavier or Tuskegee to a large cross section of local Universities then HBCU’s are very presigeous!</p>

<p>The fact is and it just kills some, many HBCU’s open doors and have been opening doors for generations!</p>

<p>I live in Florida where so many of the school teachers or Pharmaciest or Nurses are a product of FAMU. My friend always tells the story of when he was in a school board function and it was asked how many teachers in this room are graduates of FAMU? Half the room stood up, then it was asked how many teachers are from Bethune Cookman College? The other half of the room stood up, that’s prestige alright.</p>

<p>What do I know, the University I graduated from Tuskegee is designated a Nation historic site by the National park service!!</p>

<p>One of my good friends is a freshman at Howard. She was accepted to Vanderbilt, Emory, Duke, UVA, Rice, WUStL, Spelman, and some of our state schools. She was originally going to go to Emory, but once she toured Howard she knew it would be the perfect place to call home for 4 years. She said she had heard the rumors about the ‘fashion shows’, but she considered herself a fashionista and brushed it off.</p>

<p>Now it’s the beginning of May and she’s transferring to one of our state schools. She says the school doesn’t live up to its hype at all, a good chunk of the students are stuck up beyond belief, and the ‘fashion show’ is most definitely true.</p>

<p>To each his own, I guess!</p>

<p>I’ve heard that Howard is inconsistent when it comes to policy. I have a friend who’s currently a sophomore there, and she says the administration is very unorganized. However, she’s having an amazing time! But mind you, she’s a masscom major and she also confirmed that fashion is a BIG thing on campus. </p>

<p>Honestly, it’s up to you to make to the choice. I think visiting the school is the best way to do that. You never know what you may find.</p>

<p>The fact that fashion is the most prominent characteristic of, arguably, the country’s most prestigious HBCU is embarrassing. </p>

<p>Ohwhere:</p>

<p>You opened your post with an outright insult, immediately invalidating any argument you had to put forward. And the fact that you said fashion can teach students adaptability is just as outrageous. When did fashion become a meritorious characteristic? I can’t imagine an individual emerging as a better, wiser human-being if they spent the last four years of their life worshiping labels and simply judging people based on their appearance. </p>

<p>HBCU defenders:</p>

<p>I promise I am not trying to ■■■■■, but if you are going to defend HBCUs, at least use proper grammar/spelling. Sadly, the quality of writing on this forum only perpetuates the preconceived notion that HBCUs provide an inferior education to that of PWI (i.e. nonsegregated institutions).</p>

<p>you sound ignorant calling the PWI nonsegregated schools, your insinuating that HBCUs are segregated.</p>

<p>Hmm…let me give you a little history. </p>

<p>Why are HBCUs predominantly black and why are all others predominantly white? </p>

<p>Well you should learn this in history, if not I’m going to give you a head start. HBCUs were the ONLY colleges black people could go to, even before the civil war. However, it was after the civil war when freed slaves could actually publicly go these colleges. These colleges are a landmark for the BLACK culture. They will always be predominantly Black, but there is NO rule discouraging Whites to come onto the campus.No not at all, not when it started and not now. There are few whites that DO choose to go though. </p>

<p>PWIs were always white. Not until they were FORCED to segregate was when blacks and latinos and asians came into the picture. </p>

<p>I do disagree when you say all PWIs provide a superior education. </p>

<p>Are you saying that MLK was not educated enough? Thurgood Marshall? Sean P. Diddy Combs? Anthony Anderson? Will Smith? The Wayans Brothers? The list goes on</p>

<p>Please. Before you try and insult something…know your facts.</p>

<p>^ I actually had more to say about that…but ummm it cut me off for some reason…but its all goodie.</p>

<p>Umm I’d never consider Diddy as an intellectual, lol. But even though HBCUs don’t have the resources nor the prestige to compete with PWIs, they’re very great schools! To say HBCU graduates are dumber than PWIs is preposterous. Reiterating what Lovie said, the founding fathers of African American history- Dr. King, Thurgood Marshal among them-are all products of an HBCU education. Sure, HBCUs aren’t for everyone, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t great schools.</p>

<p>Prestige nor resources to compete, here are a few examples that argue against that…</p>

<p>FAMU journalism and public relations students win 19 awards in national and regional competitions</p>

<p>Link:
[School</a> of Journalism & Graphic Communication - Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University 2011](<a href=“Page Not Found”>Page Not Found)</p>

<p>HBCU - UMES to activate state’s largest ‘solar farm’</p>

<p>Link:
[Umes</a> Solar Farm | UMES to activate state’s largest ‘solar farm’ Monday - Baltimore Sun](<a href=“http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/green/bs-md-solar-20110327,0,2463851.story]Umes”>http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/green/bs-md-solar-20110327,0,2463851.story)</p>

<p>HBCU Jackson State Awarded Dept. of Defense Research Grant</p>

<p>[Jackson</a> State Awarded Dept. of Defense Research Grant | HBCU Digest](<a href=“http://www.hbcudigest.com/jackson-state-awarded-dept-of-defense-research-grant/]Jackson”>http://www.hbcudigest.com/jackson-state-awarded-dept-of-defense-research-grant/)</p>

<p>[School</a> of Business and Industry - Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University 2011](<a href=“Page Not Found”>Page Not Found)</p>

<p>1) The FAMU SBI National Selling Competition Team wins first place!*</p>

<p>On October 8, 2010, four SBI students took first place at the Center for Global Sales Leadership, Indiana University. *This selling competition attracts teams from around the United States to compete in the real-world sales simulation judged by representatives from top corporations. *Sponsors for the event included Altria, P&G, BP Oil, 3M and Kraft Foods. *Other participating universities included: *University of Florida, Syracuse University, Michigan State University, Penn State University and University of Southern California. *SBI beat out 16 other teams.</p>

<p>2) SBI Win’s PNC Financial Services Case Competition</p>

<p>The inaugural PNC Financial Services Case Competition concerned the merger of two, generally, dissimilar banks. Teams were required to analyze the state of the industry (historical and present), assess the two banks (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats), and detail a successful merger of the two banks (including implementation of new technology systems, branch operations, employee integration, and efficiencies gained). A presentation of the final recommendation was presented at the PNC national headquarters in Pittsburgh, PA.</p>

<p>The SBI Team won cash prizes and summer internships with PNC Bank.</p>

<p>3) FAMU SBI Team Places First in Supply Chain Management Case Competition</p>

<p>We are happy to announce that four of our SBI students, Rayvin Julien, Shannon Kirk, Audreen Robinson, and Tiffany Williams (coached *by Dr. Roscoe Hightower), not only showcased their business acumen in a supply chain management student case competition, but they won 1st Place on Wednesday, February 3, 2010. *The student case competition was held in San Diego, CA, at the 7th Annual Institute for Supply Management Black Executive Supply Management Summit. </p>

<p>The competing schools placed as follows:</p>

<p>Florida A&M University
1st Place | $5,000 scholarship award
Team adviser: Dr. Roscoe Hightower, Jr.
Team members: Shannon Kirk, Tiffany Williams, Audreen Robinson and Rayvin Julien</p>

<p>Clark Atlanta University
2nd Place | $2,000 scholarship award</p>

<p>Howard University
3rd Place | $1,500 scholarship award</p>

<p>Tennessee State University
4th Place | $1,000 scholarship award</p>

<p>Hampton University
5th Place | $500 scholarship award</p>

<p>4) SBI Team Places Second in National Competition</p>

<p>Congratulations to Dr. Roscoe Hightower and the 2009 National Selling Competition Team for placing Second in the National Team Selling Competition at Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, last week. The team members are: Darriel Brown, Nicole Crowell, Ashley Alfred, and Daniel Murff. This was SBI’s first time entering the competition. As you can see from the photos and the second place win received, SBI and FAMU were represented well! Thanks, Dr. Hightower and team for a job well done!</p>

<p>Southern University students part of winning team at engineering competition</p>

<p>[Southern</a> University students part of winning team at engineering competition : The Black College Voice - The Internet’s Source for HBCU News & Information](<a href=“http://www.blackcollegevoice.com/?p=448]Southern”>http://www.blackcollegevoice.com/?p=448)</p>

<p>From and Editorial " HBCU are academically inferior?"</p>

<p>Link:
<a href=“http://conversations.blackvoices.com/entertainment/99435682aaea4564b24369ed6fc90973/hbcu-are-academical%20.../437c63bf7edb4ff094f4a8221e496718?sn=2[/url]”>http://conversations.blackvoices.com/entertainment/99435682aaea4564b24369ed6fc90973/hbcu-are-academical%20.../437c63bf7edb4ff094f4a8221e496718?sn=2&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Most of the points made were the same old, same old about why we need HBCU’s today anyway. But, what I wanted you two to read was counter point "five(5) made by. </p>

<p>Tyrone D. Taborn, Publisher andEditor-in-Chief of DiversityGPS dot com, Career Communications Group, Inc., andGarland Thompson, contributing editor of US Black Engineer & Information Technology magazine,</p>

<p>This is an example of why Morgan State Univ. Engineering program is ranked so high.</p>

<p>See below:</p>

<ol>
<li>Let’s sharpen the focus here. Recall the year that Bellcore, before it was bought out and merged into a larger concern, sent recruiters to Black Engineer of the Year Awards (BEYA)to find black computer science majors. Bellcore offered summer internships, and it wanted to try out some HBCU students in the mix of high-performing students from elite colleges writing network control interfaces and other software. I had gone over to Morgan State’s campus and made a point of persuading students from the College of Science and Computer Science to attend, telling them their major was pertinent. Dr. DeLoatch andCareer Communications GroupCEO Tyrone Taborn rounded them up for interviews, and they got the internships.</li>
</ol>

<p>What happened next was unpredicted, though watchers of the film “The Great Debate” could have seen it coming: The Morgan State students looked at the tasks before them, dug into the manuals and specs, and completed their assignments brilliantly and early, heading back to supervisors to ask for more work. Sanjiv Ahuja, Bellcore’s president and COO, was so impressed he journeyed to Baltimore to see for himself what kind of institution had trained them so well. “I never heard of Morgan State University,” he said in a speech at the Mitchell School of Engineering. “And I didn’t come here for diversity,” the Indian-born Ahuja said.</p>

<p>“When I look in the mirror in the morning, I see that every day. But when I saw how good the students from Morgan were, I decided to come here and recruit more students to come to Bellcore. I want all of you to come to work for us.” The Morgan students had not only matched their counterparts from the elite schools Riley touts – they had outperformed them.</p>

<p>I wasn’t referring to actual competitions. What I meant to say was that, the opportunities and prestige that come packaged by earning a degree from most PWIs consistently ranks ahead of HBCUs. Yes, Howard , Morehouse and Spelman are exceptional schools. But, I think most people would rather earn a degree from a top tier PWI. It’s unfortunate that degrees from such schools hold more value in our society, but that’s just the way it is and the way it probably will be for a very long time.</p>

<p>Why is the fact that a degree from a top PWI holding more value than a degree from an HBCU unfortunate?
Prestige or value isn’t just given, it’s rightfully earned. It takes years and incredible resources to get that reputation. What’s really unfortunate is the lack of quality in most HBCUs and nothing has changed within them significantly. Most intelligent students want the best of the best, and why shouldn’t they. IMO, I honestly believe no HBCU is worth going to, especially when there are many other “better” choices. Obviously, if you don’t have other options in terms of quality and the like, any school is better than no school.</p>

<p>Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using CC App</p>

<p>"Another point I would make as far as fitting in at a University, if you attend an HBCU it is the very epidamy of being some place that you will fit in and fill most comfortable!!</p>

<p>Okay?!? </p>

<p>But I went (undegrad and med school) 76-84.</p>