Are you guys thinking of applying to HBCUS

<p>I actually live in Maryland . And like I didn’t say I got teased or picked on or the word “white” was used derogatorily against me. I was just stating comments I have received over the yrs from my black peers. I have gone to predominialty blacks schools all my life.</p>

<p>Ohh. </p>

<p>Marinebio</p>

<p>I understand so much! I used to live in Texas. And seriously, the black people down there are so ignorant sometimes because they live in this sheltered box and are not exposed to much.I mean it may be law that there is no segregation, but it is obvious there is. I mean look at the neighborhoods. either all black or all white. Its disappointing. </p>

<p>God Given. </p>

<p>I understand what your saying too. I wouldn’t want to go to a all black school. Cause eventually going to the same school with the same race almost everywhere, you start to get like" man…i need a change of scenary"</p>

<p>I get you. =)…but i never experienced that. lol.
Most of the schools I went to(except currently) were mostly mexican with black people coming in second and asians 3rd and whites last.</p>

<p>I know what your thinking…WAAT lol.</p>

<p>but that is how most schools are in middle class neighborhoods in California. </p>

<p>When you get to upper middle class and above its different though.</p>

<p>Wow, whenever I visited my family in Alabama it always seemed like blacks and whites lived on top of each other with no real separation except in attitude. I always thought that the North was more segregated as far as neighborhoods go, perhaps its different all over the South.</p>

<p>I just read a few other comments and I have heard some of the “white” comments before, but for the most part all of the minorities know each other at my school as well. There’s not that many of us, so it’s hard not to notice someone that looks just like you in the hallway. With that being said, I agree with some of the other posters that there are different ways to relate with people and just because a few other minority students may not understand you, that is their problem. I’m sure that there are a good number of blacks at every school that does not fit into the “stereotype” that I see a few people presenting on this board.</p>

<p>I agree with Determined123 and I am from the south and I’ve had the same experience with my peers. And the blacks at my school did not like me because ll I wanted was to talk about college and grades not hair and nails. So maybe its just the south but I can relate to the treatment of Determined123.</p>

<p>Actually I am from California. My school is VERY diverse and multicultural, but all the black kids hang in a tight group, and I mean like almost all. Not me though. I have black friends, but I also chill with my Asian friends, whites, mexicans, etc,.</p>

<p>Someone(forgot name) said it’s sad to think that I have to act a certain way to fit in. I agree. It IS sad. Except I don’t think it’s the only way I can fit in with my black peers, I KNOW it is. Because I’m the way I am, MOST of my black peers only talk to me occasionally. I mean I’m not like bullied or anything, but we’re casual acquaintances. The awkwardness is definitely there. Someone also said it was ignorant to say reading as “white”…? I agree! But that’s the response I’m getting. One time I was reading before one of my basketball games, and a white friend saw me and was like “you’re so smart”. Another time I was reading & a black friend of mine was like “you’re such a square”. And for the record, ONLY my colored friends call me a square. Another occasion I used a “big” word (receive, which isn’t even big!!) & a black friend was like, “you’re sooo white”. I wanted to scream in her face & tell her intelligence has no color, & that she was only degrading herself…but I didn’t.</p>

<p>Anyways, I’m not saying I’m a complete outcast. I’m an all-star athlete, and I’m pretty well known on campus b/c of that. I have friends of all races & I get along fine. But other than that, I feel like I generally don’t fit in with most of my black peers at my school b/c I’m very studious & randomly read books about astrophysics or some ****t. That’s just my experience.</p>

<p>Btw, I think the different experiences depend on the type of school you go to. My school is hellaa ghetto. We have gang-related problems & a bad reputation in our city. A lot of kids in our district transfer to the schools across town just b/c of that, even though I don’t think it’s that bad. And even though my school is very diverse, it’s also self-segregated. Majority of the white kids over here, the blacks over there, the Asians, mexicans, etc,.</p>

<p>The point I was trying to make is that you should not think that the majority of students at HBCUs are going to be like the kids at your schools and thus you have no interest in them.</p>

<p>There are students at these schools who are just as academic as those at other institutions. You will also find students at the other schools who have the same characteristics you are trying to run from. So don’t think HBCUs are full of ghetto kids with ghetto attitudes.</p>

<p>I believe the attitudes you see may have more to do with socio-economic status than race.</p>

<p>My kid was the only Black student in her HS graduation class and one of about 10 in the entire school. She opted to go to Howard for a change of pace. She was willing to take a risk and step outside her comfort zone.</p>

<p>I believe the experience has served her well. She has been immersed in several cultures and is well prepared for anything life throws at her. She has friends who have estates in the south of France and friends from housing projects and everywhere else in between. The support, mentors, opportunities and experiences she had at Howard exceeded amazing. </p>

<p>I agree that HBCU’s are not for everyone, but I also think you sell yourself, and the students who choose to attend, short by disregarding HBCU’s or believing the “hype”.</p>

<p>The final word? You define your experience at the college, rather than the college defining it for you. You make your opportunities. Make sure you select your school based on what feels right for, rather than a name or reputation of the school.</p>

<p>Good luck and/or congratulations to you all!</p>

<p>I read through the post and I find it amazing that we find it necessary to defend such personal decisions. As a parent the same concerns I have at for my daughter at an HBCU, I have a PWI. They are simply labeled differently. Your internal fortitude is actually what determines your success. Wisdom will show where you fit in or the type of school you should attend. A PWI is for some, an HBCU is for some but we must know that we must have standards no matter where. We can’t assume that others set the standard. Often it set before you even leave home. Make education paramount no matter where you go. The fashion show is for entertainment keep in perspective. Wisdom is what rules. Knowing “what and when.” That’s how we survived and excelled through decades of slavery and injustice.</p>

<p>^ Great advice from both above.=)</p>

<p>Yes! I am applying to :
1.Xavier
2.Howard
3.MoreHouse</p>

<p>I guess maybe I’m not that crazed about HBCUs because of where I’ve grown up. For you, maybe that’s just the experience you need. On my side though, I’ve been in Atlanta since I was 4, around Spelman, Morehouse & Clark Atlanta. I’ve also gotten to see the other side with Georgia Tech and Emory. As far as HBCUs and top medical/law schools, I wouldn’t know anything about that. When I was in middle school, ALL my female teachers came from Spelman. I don’t think any of them had pursued any type of graduate degrees…just came straight out of college to teaching, but I’m sure they had classmates go on to top graduate schools :slight_smile: GO WHERE YOUR HEART DESIRES. I can’t tell you how hard of a time I’m having prioritizing and choosing my colleges because of what everyone in my ear is saying; it’s your decision, your experience, your degree, your life, YOUR CHOICE. I’ll probably apply to Spelman this fall just for an in-state private school other than Emory but I think the main reasons HBCUs aren’t on my list are:</p>

<p>1) Like I said, I’ve been in Atlanta almost all my life.
2) The girls at HBCUs can be…a bit extra. They say Spelman should foster a sense of sisterhood and blah blah blah but when I visited I felt it was only that way with sororities…what about the girls who don’t wanna join those?! (But that’s probably at more than HBCUs)
3) Financial aid SUCKS…except for maybe XULA. I knew a girl who went to Spelman and pulled out a $20k loan her FRESHMAN year (maybe 25)…She says they only really make an attempt to help if you’re at the top of your class and though I am currently ranked #1, I knew RIGHT THEN that it may not be the move, lmao. I kinda wanna go somewhere known for having good finaid policies, not an “every man for himself” mentality. I also have a friend who graduated this year and is on her way to Howard but…she sounds like she’s having a struggle coming up with (rather, DREAMING UP) the funds even though it’s her DREAM SCHOOL.</p>

<p>If you wanna know anything else, message me!</p>

<p>Financial aid is often a problem for HBCUs because they don’t tend to have the resources. The endowments of most HBCUs are extremely small compared to those of PWIs. They would probably love to offer more aid to more students. They just don’t have the funds.:(</p>

<p>^Definitely true! Students who don’t qualify for the fairly generous merit scholarships are in a tough situation when it comes to HBCUs, and I’m not too sure that it’s advisable to take on large amounts of debt in order to finance undergrad at one.</p>

<p>But, for some students it is actually cheaper if you are talking about a non private or state HBCU. In Florida for instance FAMU is at a slightly cheaper price than FSU, U of F, or UCF. </p>

<p>Also it was my understanding that financial aid is federal if you qualify for it you qualify any where for it.</p>

<p>I would not.
This is shallow, but I have never been around a lot of black people. I went to an all white k-7 school, and then i’m now in mostly white classes. I do not think I would be able to relate. I know one black kid who is really into the HBCU idea, and he’s all black power! Bring down the white man!</p>

<p>That stuff freaks me out. I don’t want to be near people like that, although I know that not all of them are like that.</p>

<p>I’ve been looking at this thread quite a bit since its a fascinating and divisive topic :)</p>

<p>I personally am not applying to any HBCUs because of the lack of diversity - I am currently at a high school with almost insane amounts of diversity as compared to other high schools in the city, and I could not imagine going to a school without as much or nearly as much flourishing diversity as my school :slight_smile: (hahaha I have some serious school pride XD) However, I think HBCUs have the ability to offer some Blacks exactly what they are looking for - fraternity, unity, a sense of belonging, a focus on culture and history - just as PWIs offer many students what they are looking for.</p>

<p>@BlackRose101 XDDDD that freaks me out to the HILT. That kind of thinking has no place in this inter-connected globe we live in :D</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s true, but federal aid doesn’t nearly cover the cost of tuition - institutional scholarships are often too small to be of much use to students in need. If I recall correctly, a Pell Grant is $5,550, but the average cost of tuition ranges anywhere from $13,200 to $22,218. Federal grants can only go so far, and HBCUs simply lack the endowments to make up for the gap.</p>

<p>Yes, it is expensive to go to college these days and for many it includes loans or other sources of financial aid. My thought is that in many cases HBCU’s offer opportunities to some students that may not get accepted into other state or private institutions. </p>

<p>For instance I am hearing that many students in Florida are finding it hard to get accepted into UofF or FSU with a competitive SAT/ACT score and a 3.4 GPA. So many times those students attend Community colleges and transfer. </p>

<p>Still college cost these days are high and any extra funds you can get help…</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Oh, absolutely. However, I do think it is advisable that applicants proceed with caution when applying, as it may not be the best option for people financially. Sometimes, community college can be the way to go - but then again, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution.</p>