As a freshman engineering major, should I get a job my first year of college?

I have considered looking for a job, but I am worried that I may not have time to study and do other things if I have to work. I have heard stories about the first-year engineering classes being “weed-out” classes, which also worries me - I haven’t really gotten a feel for how heavy the course load is yet. Should I work? Any of you guys have experience working your freshman year while being a STEM major that you could share?

If you can get by without working, at least for the first semester, then don’t get a job. The workload is heavy (you don’t know yet since it’s only week 2 at A&M). If you must get a job, you might consider getting one on campus. There are students sitting at reception desks getting paid and studying at the same time. Plus you won’t have transportation costs and time factors like you would for an off-campus job, and you may have more flexibility during finals week, etc. Also, many campus offices are closed on days when there is no school, so that may be a plus.

My parents said they would be willing to pay for all my needs (food, gas, books), and I have money on my savings account for personal expenses, so I don’t really need the money. What I was wondering (and I didn’t mention this in the original post, sorry) is if not working my freshman year would put me behind my peers in terms of resume-building (having less experience and all), and if it would in any way hurt my chances of getting hired after graduation. Do you think this is something I should really be concerned about, or can I wait another year without worrying?

I would wait. The types of jobs you could get now are not real resume builders anyway. If you don’t need the money, focus on your classes.

You might also consider clubs and orgs relevant to your major.

I worked Christmas and summer vacations for an engineering company while in college. If the Texas economy hadn’t collapsed the very month that I graduated, I would have had a permanent job with the company!