Ask a UM student anything!

<p>I dunno, I thought that they were pretty nice. :slight_smile: This is me coming from a boarding school where the entire dorm shared two showers that usually didn’t work because the pipes were frozen and when they did work had cold water or, if we were lucky, luke warm water. So maybe my perspective is a bit different…</p>

<p>Hello, I was also accepted into UM and was thinking about either declaring Neuroscience or Psychology as my major. If I do neuroscience, is the pre-med track hard? (such as the classes?) If I choose psychology, though, does UM offer a program that would combine the premed track into the psychology major? (Since this major generally doesn’t cover all the pre-med requirements) Thank You!</p>

<p>@justbus thanks, and i was thinking if UM is worth the whole tuition money. I would be paying for everything, so… It’s not like I can’t afford it, but I would really not want to spend my family’s money if the experience in UM is not worth it. So, I’m asking about it from this perspective</p>

<p>Oh yeah, and communal bathrooms sound freeky, I imagine terrible showers when I think of them :smiley: But it’s just probably my stupid fantasy. hopefully. :D</p>

<p>@Miami88- The “premed track” is not a major. It is a set of required courses that you add onto another major. While bio is a popular choice because it contains the premed requirements, you don’t need to be a bio major. Select a major that you will like and do well in with your grades. Aim for a 3.6 or higher for gpa, and prepare for the MCAT when the time comes. Talk to an advisor to decide how and when you will take the classes required for med school entrance and how it fits in with your chosen major. Go on the discussion board titled “Med School Topics.” It contains lots of good information from posters who appear to be knowledgeable. Good Luck and enjoy UMiami.<br>
@anne- I lived in one of these dorms 30 years ago (I’m old). It was called 960 (the front two towers as you stand facing them from San Amaro Drive) and the back two towers were referred to as 1968. You pretty much get used to that bathroom set up. :)</p>

<p>Hi! Thank you so much for starting this thread!</p>

<p>I was recently invited to the PRISM program and I’m debating whether or not I should join. It looks like a great opportunity! However, I want to go into medicine and GPA is a large factor. The smaller, specialized science courses with lots of undergraduate research really appeals to me, but the curriculum is difficult. I am not afraid of a challenge because it will help me succeed in the long run, but at the same time, grades are important to me for medical school admission.</p>

<p>What do students at UMiami think about the PRISM program?</p>

<p>I basically chose to go to the U because of the change from michigan weather, the ability to personalize your education to a level not offered at other schools (through foote fellows), and because of the amazing opportunities the panel had talked about at the singer/stamps weekend. I already know I love the area and the lifestyle, the only thing that I am uncertain of is the quality of education. I just wanted to get an opinion on how rigorous the classes are. I’m following a pre-med track so of course I want to strive for a high GPA, but I also want challenging classes where the teachers present the material well and don’t just read off of slides and then give multiple choice exams. So basically I had a few questions and please point out any negative thoughts you or others have about this school because all I’ve heard from others is persuasive information…and I’m pretty much set on this school but I want to know how I would have to approach studying in a party school</p>

<ol>
<li>What do you think of the average performance of your teachers…teach to get paid or actually teach with a passion and put more effort in?</li>
<li>Honors classes…any better?</li>
<li>Do classes tend to be more independent reading and assignments or lectures and assessments?</li>
<li>From your freshmen classes…do your classmates not care too much and just want to party, are they pretty studious, or a 50/50 split</li>
<li>Also I’m staying in Hecht and plan to party my ass off during the weekends…but are the residential colleges boisterous even during the weekdays or is it pretty chill then.</li>
</ol>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>@Miami88 and @caneschica-- since I’m not really a part of either of these, it’s tough for me to say. I’m sorry that I’m not really helpful… but honestly even though I know a lot of pre-med people and such, I couldn’t really gauge how hard their classes are.</p>

<p>@gandhir–</p>

<ol>
<li><p>It really depends on the professor, which is why I use ratemyprofessor.com before I schedule any classes. I’ve had some excellent professors who are really good at what they do, and really I think the worst I’ve had are still excited about their subject matter but just don’t present it in a coherent way. I’ve heard some horror stories about other teachers but it seems like most at least care about their class.</p></li>
<li><p>Honors classes to me seem pretty much like my other classes, possibly more difficult. Though I’ve only taken two honors courses, so perhaps it was just the subject matter that was difficult. My first course was an entire class filled with honors kids so there seemed to be a lot better questions and generally more intelligent atmosphere. The professor for that class was also the best I’ve had so far. The one I’m taking now is an honors class but there are non-honors students in it (only 8 people total). It is difficult but doable and the professor sometimes goes a bit fast, but I go to office hours and get a lot of help which has helped me do better in the class. So I don’t know, I guess they are slightly better just because of the other honors students, but not incredibly different than other classes.</p></li>
<li><p>Classes are typically a lecture, going over stuff in the book and sometimes just doing things to supplement the book. They’re definitely helpful and you get a better idea what will be on the test. The assignments are basically to read the book and either complete problems or answer questions. Sometimes there are projects and stuff, too. </p></li>
<li><p>It’s kind of a weird mixture. There are plenty of students who are very serious about academics, then you have your people who will party but still get work done during the week and you also have people who just party all the time. I would say most of the student body is composed of the first two types. If all you do is party, you’re not going to last long here, which is why the third type is more rare (but still there).</p></li>
<li><p>Most of the actual “partying” happens off campus rather than in the dorms (clubs, house parties, etc.) I live in Stanford so I can’t really speak for Hecht, but it’s mostly calm here during the week. No one’s stumbling in drunk on Mondays.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Are there times when all students MUST vacate the dorms during the school year? Besides for the Christmas break? We live in NY and if my daughter is accepted, I’m just wondering what it’s like there on weekends. I have a feeling most students do not commute and live on campus so she won’t be alone. She can easily hop the train to the airport, but flights are expensive to NY, I just want to know if there’s a lot going on during weekends and there’s students there.</p>

<p>I ask because I know of someone whose daughter attended a college here in the northeast and the campus was empty on weekends. She lived too far to go home just for the weekend. Needless to say, she left after a year.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>@MomTheChauffer - I’m a parent of a freshman from NY. I believe the only time that the dorms are closed is during intersession (Dec 15 - Jan 15 roughly). I feel your pain about the flights - not sure where in NY you are, but upstate airport options to/from Miami and Fort Lauderdale are terrible. Expensive, long lay-overs, etc. </p>

<p>Probably a current student is best to answer the question about the dorms on the weekends and over breaks (like Thanksgiving), but my D is never lacking in finding something to do, and people to hang out with on every single weekend.</p>

<p>Oh ok great, thank you!! And for some reason if I do not attend UM right away, but wait a year and transfer from another university, do they offer a variety of transfer scholarships? And is it easier to get in as a transfer, than a freshman? Thank You!</p>

<p>Thank you ZincWhiskers. We are upstate, Newburgh (Stewart) is our closest besides Westchester Cty Airport. Our tickets just for the open house were costly enough & we flew out of LaGuardia!</p>

<p>LOL - from my location (Syracuse) you are downstate!! You’d probably be better off flying out of Scranton PA or Albany. It’s a challenge. We’re trying the auto-train for part of the trip in May (you ride for about 900 miles from DC area to Sanford, FL) - rates are good in the May timeframe, and you have your own vehicle down there.</p>

<p>I have a neighbor who used to auto train while they still had their condo in FL (snowbirds). I’d like to try it sometime IF she’s accepted.</p>

<p>What is your impression of the staff, including course selection counselors? How would you consider the quality of support that they offer? Do they arrange programs and events in which students can collaborate and meet each other (especially freshman year)?..</p>

<p>Thanks for your input !</p>

<p>Hey justbus, I’ve got a kinda specific question here - what do you know about the martial arts in the area? I’m female, have been practicing karate for a few years, and would like to compete in a full-contact tournament in Feb. 2013; problem is, a lot of the martial arts-related clubs I saw on the club list are either non-contact (ie. Tae Kwon Do) or not quite what I’m looking for (ie. Brazilian Jiu-jitsu). Do you have any knowledge of a Muay Thai/kickboxing/competitive martial art program in/around the University? I just need to be able to hit and be hit, preferably with some sort of grabbing allowed :)</p>

<p>Hey! I was wondering if being Cuban would negatively affect my changes at being admitted here? Thank you for helping! Oh, and I’m from Illinois, not Miami if that helps?</p>

<p>@Rolando: being Hispanic would be fine if you’re a high-stat applicant. If you’re an average applicant, it isn’t much of a hook considering there are plenty of Hispanics that apply to UM. Being in Illinois probably helps, a lot of students that got in are from there and the northeast.</p>

<p>Sorry I’ve been gone, everyone, it’s the last week of classes and I’m pretty busy!</p>

<p>@MomTheChauffer–I’m from far away, too, and I stayed here through Thanksgiving break and part of Spring Break. They only close the dorms during Christmas, but the dining halls are closed through Thanksgiving and Spring Break, which is a pain. It gets really empty but several of my friends stuck around and I have to admit it was a bit nice having some peace and quiet for once. As far as weekends go, everyone is pretty much here. Some people nearby go home once in a while but in general it’s the same amount of people as during the week. </p>

<p>@Miami88–Not sure, I would do some searching on the Miami site to see what scholarships/acceptance rate they have for transfers.</p>

<p>@phantombrain-- My academic adviser is pretty awesome. She cuts right through the crap and tells you what you actually need. But I have heard some of my friends complain about theirs, so I guess it’s the luck of the draw. I believe you can always switch counselors if you want. The dorms hold plenty of activities, especially during orientation. Don’t worry, you’ll meet people!</p>

<p>@spryngwyng–Hmm, well I know someone in the tae kwon do, I believe, but if you’re looking specifically for karate and can’t find it on the club list, I would do a search nearby for karate studios. I’m pretty sure there are plenty around that are easy to travel to.</p>

<p>@Rolando4-- Miami is definitely all about diversity, although since it IS Miami, there’s a large Hispanic population. Your geographical diversity might work more in your favor, but being Cuban is definitely won’t negatively affect your chances for admittance.</p>

<p>I’m sorry if this question’s already been asked - I saw that you live on a substance-free floor, but I was wondering if you could estimate the costs for a girl looking go to the Grove, a frat party, and into the city each once weekly and drink all three times (transport, cover fees, drinking costs). Just trying to see how much I’ll need to save this summer :)</p>

<p>I just tried to cut to the chase with the drinking, but please try to hold judgment! Lol sorry</p>