Ask About Andover

When the Blue Book says “lights out” by 11pm what does that mean? Like do your lights literally have to be out? Or can you do homework? Can you still be in the dorm common room or in your room?

When students want to go “into town,” do they have to let someone know/sign out? Where are the borders of town where you don’t have to take a day pass?

Boundary maps are located on pages 90-91 of the 2017-2018 Blue Book.

ETA: Pages 24 and 25 cover study hours/end of day/final sign in.

Which classes (or types of classes) utilize the Harkness method? Which use the traditional method? Do the classes that implement the traditional method where the teacher lectures to the class still allow room for discussion?

None. It’s semantics, but Harkness® Method is a registered trademark unused at Andover. It’s similar to how some schools do not offer AP® classes, but offer classes that are at that level and may prepare for the exam.

At Andover, in general, humanities classes employ more of the Harkness methodology than STEM classes, but exceptions exist.

It should also be noted that even within a single subject, teachers have a lot of freedom to teach in the way they think is best, so it can depend on who you have. Some prefer student-led “Harkness” discussions while others use a more traditional lecture format. It’s really up to the teacher a lot of the time and neither is necessarily better than the other.

freshman “lights out” is fairly variable among different dorms. some prefects are incredibly regimented about checking lights out while some will help freshmen violate it. by 11:00pm, the technical definition of lights out is that you’re in your bed, not on your phone with all of your lights off.

Looked at the Parent Handbook (2017-2018). 2 computers are recommended - the MacBook Pro and Dell Latitude 14. Can anyone chime in as to whether the Apple or Windows operating system would be preferable for an incoming freshman PA student and why?

Apple tends to be more popular, but I use exclusively PC systems and have had no problems. There’s no required software that only runs on one kind of computer. I personally prefer Windows systems just because they tend to be cheaper for equivalent hardware, but ultimately it’s really your choice. No big pros or cons for either.

If you want it to last 4 years without issues, I would get a Mac.

From a school perspective, it does not matter. It really comes down to student preference/budget/etc.

Agree that’s mostly just personal preference. Last year, my kid’s top factors were weight, processing speed, and durability. Considering that they’re going to carrying these around a lot, weight and having solid state memory were big consideration factors for us.

Are you in charge of bringing your own towels to Andover? I know Exeter provides students with feminine products in most bathrooms. Is Andover the same? My tour guide (a few months ago) mentioned that custodians clean the bathrooms. How often do they come?

Yes.

I assume so, but I have never been in the girls’ bathrooms. However, most females have a brand preference so prefer to buy locally. Products in the restrooms are generally for when one unexpectedly finds a need.

Often enough for me. If not often enough for you, the CVS sells cleaning supplies. :slight_smile:

I am currently looking at the possibility of applying to Andover as a Lower, and I would like to know a few things, or at least clarify them.

1. Do students have to take music? I know absolutely nothing about music as I don’t play a musical instrument and have never studied music before because music is not mandatory in my current school. Would there be any pother students in my case? Could I possibly take another art, for example dance instead of music?

2. Is it possible to take two languages at a time? I would like to study Chinese and French, languages that I am currently studying in school, French being my first language and I have been learning Chinese for five years now.

3. Speaking of Chinese, how are the classes and the teachers? I understand there are some groups by levels. How are those determined

4. How is the dance at Andover? I am currently following the RAD system for ballet and I am also dancing some contemporary. What types of dance are there?

5. What is the average SSAT score of people getting into Andover?

Many thanks to all. I really appreciate the help!

For incoming 9th and 10th graders, yes. But it’s a basic history/theory class, and you’re placed with students of similar background.

Again, as an incoming 9th or 10th grader, no

Yes, but it depends in part on how you are scheduling the required courses, and if you are able to fit in the 2 foreign language classes without class conflicts.

Very good.

For new students with experience in the language, it’s based on the placement exam.

I don’t have the most recent data handy, but it’s somewhere in the 93rd percentile.

Someone else can talk about dance, as I have no direct knowledge.

What is the reality when it comes to amount of homework and sleep. My daughters are considering Andover, but we are worried about the stress levels and sleep. If you are a current student can you chime in on how many hours you are sleeping (have been sleeping) and what you observe around you? I get nervous when I see comments that say house counsellors are helping students to get around lights out.

If you are a current Andover student, how often have you wished that you had chosen a different school?

If you are a current student, do you know if the smaller 9th grade girls dorms have a piano? Hearsey, Nathan Hale Eaton Cottage , and Isham?

Never.

The reality is that one can get a normal amount of sleep and get one’s HW done and socialize if one exercises time management, with a caveat that I will mention later. If the student decides to waste an inordinate amount of time gaming, texting, chatting, then s/he should not be surprised that something has to give.

The caveat that I mentioned in the earlier is that there are a number of courses, generally at the 500-600 level, that will require, and clearly state, more HW than a “normal” class. If a student opts to take 4-5 of those classes, particularly against the advice of an adviser, s/he should not be surprised by the amount of HW.

IME, the house counselors do help their charges develop an appropriate balance; it’s the prefects (not all, but some) who do not enforce lights-out consistently.

Nathan Hale and Isham are not a small dorms.

@skieurope my mistake…Nathan Hale is large…but I was told Isham was only 16 kids is that not the case?

I have introverted kids and would like for them to be a in a small dorm so that they have a feeling so connection.