Ask Almost Anything About UR!

My daughter is set to be in Wood Hall as she is participating in the Endeavor program. Do most people rent microwaves and refrigerators?
My other kids always bought their own, but their rooms were pretty big.
Do roommates share fridges?
Are there microwaves in the floor lounges (so as to avoid that weird, stale smell microwaves can get–in those small rooms).
Also, do we need to arrange in advance if she wants to loft the bed?

I don’t know the answer to the first 3 questions, but there is a company (DormsDirect) that you can rent a loft bed and micro-fridges from. You usually order ahead of time and it is delivered to your room before move-in day. I’m pretty sure DormsDirect is the only company that Richmond allows to do this from though.

@dragonmom3 You can rent, which a lot of people do, but also buy.
Sharing with roommates is also pretty common. I had a fridge that was my originally brother’s and would let my roommates use it, and would typically use my roommate’s microwave (I think I bought my own junior year and we shared that- I had a single my senior year, and had my own at that point).
There typically are not microwaves in the floor lounges.
I’m not sure if you have to request it in advance, but it is possible to loft the provided bed in the dorm. You can contact housing to ask about what the procedure for that is.

When our D was a freshman, we and other parents chose a low tech way to loft the students’ beds. We drove to a nearby Home Depot and purchased four cinder blocks. It worked quite well.

@guineagirl96 just wondered if they offered free tutoring at UR? I saw the tutoring page on the website but it doesn’t say anything about fees. They have the names of the tutors and times they tutor but that’s all they show.

@aero18 Yes, tutoring through the academic skills center is free.

My daughter is looking at classes which follow each other --her required Endeavor class is 9-10:15 and another class she is interested in starts at 10:15 on the same days.
Is this doable?
Is there a built in passing period or are classes which end and start at the same time incompatible?

Are you sure the second class starts at 10:15? I have never seen a class start at that time ever in my four years there. That would be very, very unusual if its true.

Regardless, there’s no built-in passing period.

Sometimes professors will still let you register if there are two overlapping courses you want to sign up for; theres a form that needs to be signed by both professors and then brought to the registrar’s office. The only times I pursued this option and was granted approval was when there were conflicts with music ensembles (between different ensembles, and an ensemble and a class). For example, my chem lab one semester overlapped with orchestra sectionals- I got my chem professor and my orchestra director to sign the form, and then missed the orchestra sectionals (I only was called for sectionals 1-2 times a semester anyways).

You’re right.
She just checked and she had written it incorrectly.
The second class starts at 10:30.
And thanks for the quick reply!

Thanks @guineagirl96 !
By the way, do they still permit fishing in Westhampton lake? If so, Do you often (like daily) see fishermen there among the student body ?

@guineagirl96 A second vote of THANK YOU for your dedication to this thread. I’ve learned a lot and really appreciate it.

@dragonmom3 Re the fridge and micro - my daughter is also in Wood with Endeavor. Dorms Direct is the only rental options we’ve found, but in poking around my daughter found out that most folks purchase. She and her roommate have worked out a list of things to bring, to split the load - she has the microwave & TV, and her roommate has the Fridge / coffeemaker. And they both have InstantPots. LOL

@aero18 @ZimaHatBoy no problem! Always happy to help!

Fishing is (at least as of May, when I was last there) still allowed. However, I don’t think I’ve ever seen students (or last people I recognized as students) fishing. Usually, from what I’ve seen, it’s families that bring their children to fish.

When I last visited the campus in the Spring, I saw a young man (presumably a student) catch a large mouth bass from the lake.

Thanks again @guineagirl96 -and @ARTCC for your input. In 2016 there was a fishing club at UR with 70 student members and now it has somehow disappeared from the student club list…odd

Can you please give some insight into the Richmond Guarantee? Does everyone/almost everyone do some kind of a fellowship? Are students required to “dig up” their own plans for their experiences? What did some of your theatre friends do for theirs?

I think it depends on the person and the major. For the most part, students plan their own experience and then submit it for funding. Exceptions are for this like group research, where the faculty member in charge of the group comes up with the plans, and then the group members submit their application. I actually only applied for funding once, and that was for on-campus summer research in mathematics as part of a group- and we were denied funding (I ended up getting a paid internship anyways, so it all worked out in the end.

In terms of what theater people do- I know some people who have used their funding to allow them to take unpaid summer stock internships.

Thanks for the information. Are many applications denied funding? Do you know why your group research was denied?

@bettzke1 Unfortunately, I don’t have any stats on denial rates for funding; I think it depends on how many people apply each summer. We were not given a reason for our denial, at least the professor did not share one with us.

@Gunieagirl96, I got assigned to a regular dorm even though I requested sub-free. Are the male NON sub-free dorms filled with puking screaming immature 18 yo’s? I’m not against alcohol but I’d like to sleep at night too! Also, what is the best dorm in your opinion for first year boys- including the now-coed dorms LoRo and Marsh? Please hazard a guess.