Ask Almost Anything About UR!

@dragonmom3 Thank you so much!!!

@guineagirl96 - Hi, do you have any information about the timeline and process related to Richmond Scholars? The website says that finalists will be notified by Feb. 1st. Is there a semi-finalist round? Any idea when the first notifications will go out? Two years ago, D17 was notified about being a semi-finalist in mid-December but I know the program has changed since then.

There is no longer a semifinal round for Richmond Scholars. Based on last year, I would expect finalists to be notified via email during the last week of January.

@elena13 Here’s what I’ve found at https://scholars.richmond.edu/selection/index.html

"Students who are selected to advance to the finalist round will be notified by email by February 1; those students whose applications do not advance to the finalist round will not be notified. A notification will be posted on http://scholars.richmond.edu once all finalist notifications have been sent.

Finalists will be invited to interview with a faculty selection committee via Skype in mid-February. Final selection of Richmond Scholars will be completed by March 1."

Thanks @bettzke1 !

DS 17 applied EA and submitted an arts supplement for music. Can anyone comment on how strong the music program is at Richmond? Most of the other schools he applied to are music schools within larger universities.

@elena13 I am glad you asked that question about timing on hearing anything about Richmond Scholars however I keep hoping the timing is wrong and that we will hear much sooner…ugh! It seems so late to hear anything and I know our kids will have a little peace of mind once they commit somewhere so the waiting is hard…

Hi! I recently applied to U of R as an EA applicant, and I was wondering how I could get more information on the Oliver Hill Scholars. Is this something I have to apply for separately? Or are applicants automatically considered after being admitted?

is it difficult to adjust for students typically from south asia?

Do you know anything about studio art?
Is the school very homogenous or could an artsy person feel comfortable?

I want to apologize to everyone for the delay in responding. I see some people had their questions answered by others, and I agree with everything I’ve read in those.

@lkbux64 The music program at Richmond is fairly strong, especially their voice program. It has a comprehensive music theory curriculum and lots of individualized instruction and opportunities for performing. One thing it doesn’t have is the comprehensive music history curriculum that a music school within a larger university would have, if that matters to your son. There are musicology classes (which focus more on how to do research in music than the actual history of music) and music history topic classes (for example a class on women in opera).

I loved my time there as a music minor (I was an artist scholar for music) and have no regrets choosing UR over the larger university with a music school I also got a full tuition scholarship to (that one would have required me to major in music). I was able to take advantage of all they had to offer, studying oboe, jazz piano, organ, and voice privately, and playing in the band, orchestra, jazz combo, and various chamber ensembles every semester, and singing in the mixed choir (schola cantorum) my senior year.

@FrozenMaineMom I’m responding to your PM- sorry for the delay!

@maddygirl2k It seems the process has changed now that the Richmond Scholars program is smaller. Oliver Hill used to only be given to Richmond Scholars and finalists who would interview for it at the same time they did their Richmond Scholar interview. But its unclear to me whether Oliver Hill is now separate (nothing is mentioned about a separate application process online). I would contact Dr. Tina Cade, the program director, if you are interested, to see what the current process is.

@KaleDai I cannot say from personal experience, but I will say that I interacted with and knew numerous international students from Asia (and South Asia) and at least to me, none of them seemed to have issues adjusting.

@Camcar2213 I knew a few people involved in the studio art program and they seemed to like it. The department seems to be supportive and inclusive of a wide variety of mediums. An artsy person definitely can feel comfortable- there’s a wide variety of students at UR! I was a STEM major who minored in performing arts and I found students in both areas (and who were “stereotypical” of each) were able to thrive on campus.

Do you really think a creative person would feel comfortable? From our high school only the preppy and narrow kids go to Richmond.

Best advice is to go visit campus and see for yourself. Pick a day when they’re in class and sit where you can watch them go by or grab a meal in the d-hall. But as a shameless fan and parent of a very happy sophomore spider who is non-preppy and a complete music geek, I am sure you can find your people there.

@Camcar2213 Take the time to go back and read this entire thread.
It’s a tremendous amount of information from the perspective a very successful math/CS/arts student who has taken the time to share with us.

Thank you @guineagirl96 for your response to my question re: music. Somehow I missed it until today. Very helpful!

My son rushed but did not get a bid. This was disappointing and now he is exploring other ways to get involved. What clubs do you recommend that offer a social outlet? Thanks!

@dangjamja Did you do anything between the time you were deferred EA, waitlisted RD, and then taken off the waitlist that you believe helped you get accepted to UR in the end?

Write a letter professing continued interest. It’s impossible to know why my son got off the waitlist but he wrote a earnest, honest letter to admissions that said if admitted he would attend. Couldn’t have hurt.

@OCDaddy thank you!