Ask Anything About OSU!

Thank you all for doing this.
I’m an OOS transfer for the summer.

1. Should I bring my car? I’d prefer not to since I’m far away.
  2. Is there single occupancy (no roommate) available on campus, or should I look off campus? I’m not required to live on campus, but it sounds easier since I want to bring as little as possible.
  3. Is tutoring available for math?
  4. Are there places nearby to buy groceries, walking distance?

How does the random roommate process work? Do you fill out any sort of survey (other than the few questions on the housing contract)?

thanks so much!! @kdiddy34

@inkcrayon

1. You can, it'll be a little expensive though but it'll help you get around places quickly which is nice since you're a transfer. But eh. Ask an upperclassman if you can
  2. There is. Not always guaranteed you get it though, and sometimes it's in the worst dorms in terms of location/quality so be wary. Living in an apartment off campus is generally much cheaper.
  3. Yep, there's a MSLC (Math and Stats Learning Center) that's pretty reliably staffed and from others who have used it, i heard it's decent.
  4. Kroger on high for sure, there's a CVS on Neil too. South campus is pretty good for these. Also a UDF on 12th and High.

@OSUTransfer nah that’s basically it. It’s pretty genuinely random and it’s also pretty hit or miss.

With the following stats do I have good chance at osu?
Hey small request. New to CC. Just would like someone to evaluate my chances.
3.2 gpa weighted
500 community hours
4 perfect sat subject test scores
36 perfect act score
Four years of club tennis
1 year of varsity track

@ckent99 On virtue of ACT score you’re prolly fine but gpa is a little low in comparison. What’s your class rank? you’re most likely fine tho in-state for sure, out of state pretty likely

@ckent99, yes! You will be competitive at many schools with those stats! If you can raise your GPA, even better.

Thanks for replying! Unfortunately 3.3 is the max I can raise my gpa. Will it be considered that I took heavy classes?

@ckent99 Yeah, but it’ll be considered more in the scope of your peers. If the average ACT score of your school is like a 25 and you’re not in the top 30% class rank, they’ll be able to put two and two together and question your work ethic if there weren’t extenuating circumstances. Obviously I generalized it quite a bit but you get my point.

Thanks but my school doesn’t account for class rank

Does anyone know the last day housing information will be sent out to student?

Who has received information?

I got it today and I paid my acceptance fee late March

I paid early March but I still haven’t received it yet
Maybe I should write to them

@Pinkpoet : I just received my housing contract…The thing that is puzzling me is that some residential halls have ac while others dont. Do they charge the same for ac and non-ac residential halls…? And where do the students have their lunch and dinner…?? Is it somewhere inside the halls or does one hav to go outside in a restaurant…I hav applied to Houston House (with Engineering Learning Community), Taylor, Jones, and Lincoln. Does the fact that I was accepted into the Engineering Honors program increase my chances of getting one of these houses…??? Thanks for any advice…

@Adwaya for eating, there are some dorms with dining halls and some without. Depending on your meal plan, but you can pretty much eat in any of these dining halls. If you look up osu dining you should be able to get more info.

Need the pros and cons of the following. I heard Honors dorms are not too social. So, I am pondering the following: Honors and live in Pre-Health LLC or don’t do honors and instead do Pre-Health Scholars (or other Scholars so as Mount or Biology)

@skewlcounselor I don’t know too much about the honors dorms, because I’m in the scholars house. However, Learning communities are awesome and I’d suggest looking into it if you think it would be beneficial to you. It’s too late to apply to scholars at this point, however I am in Mount and it’s awesome! People are very tightly knit, and we are well known on campus. It’s a great experience, and although it isn’t built around a certain academic theme, I think that one of the strengths of Mount is the fact that so many different majors and types of people are involved. (That’s not to say that other scholars programs that are tied to a less general theme aren’t awesome either!)

What are the learning disability support services like at OSU? Legally, I know all schools have to provide accommodations for documented disabilities, but some schools seem more accommodating and easier to work with than others. Because OSU is so big, I fear that my child (who is very bright, but has ADD, with a dash of Asperger’s) may get lost in the shuffle.

Personally I do not have a learning disability, however I have many friends who have experience with disability services.

To be completely honest, I have heard mixed experiences with disability services as a whole, however considering the size of the university and the number of individual experiences people will have, it’s not surprising that there’s been at least one negative experience. I know for sure that students can get accommodations like extra time for tests and exams if necessary, and students with disabilities get to register for classes early in case that is a necessary accommodation. Last semester I had class with someone who regularly missed a class I was in due to a disability (not sure the nature of it,) and the professor was pretty flexible about it. At the beginning of the semester all my professors said that if you do need accommodations due to a disability, then you have to talk to them about it. If you think your child will be comfortable enough to approach a professor and tell them exactly what they need (be that extra test time, testing in a different room, a more flexible absence policy, etc,) then I think overall they should be fine.

On the other hand, I have heard TWO “horror” stories. If you would like to hear more about them, PM me. I would post them on this discussion, however I don’t know how comfortable these two individuals would be with me sharing their story on a public forum.

Sorry my response isn’t super clear-cut, but I really just wanted to provide an honest response. If you really do want to hear the negative experiences of people I know, like I said, just message me and I will share. But please know that overall the positive stories I’ve heard regarding disability services have outweighed the negative stories.