Ask Anything About OSU!

Hey all, I figured that I would bump this post, because I know we’re getting closer to the beginning of orientation and so you all may have more questions. Also, this summer I will be serving as an orientation Peer Leader, so some of you all may meet me at some point if you plan on coming this fall!

A lot of college orientation programs provide time to go to the bookstore and purchase merchandise with a coupon provided that day. Does that occur at tOSU orientation? If not, I’ll just buy gear on my own time.

@kooth12 it’s actually expected that during your orientation you will go to Barnes and Noble near campus and get your Buckeye Book community book during your orientation. You get a voucher to get the book for free. (The book community is basically a book that all freshmen are expected to read and during first semester there are activities revolving around the book that take place.)
I don’t think you should expect to get a coupon for merch. When you get the book you can get your merch at the same time! Ultimately you will be doing this in your own free time during orientation, whenever that may be.

@kooth12 I don’t know about orientation, but they gave us a coupon for the bookstore after a campus tour. The coupon was 21% off because *ichigan gives 20%!

How active is the biological sciences scholars program? What is the student perception of scholars programs in general? Are they well liked? How is Barrett Hall? I know it has a.c., but any other insights? Thanks.

@Winky1 I can’t give any insight on that scholars program specifically. My scholars program, Mount Scholars, has a reputation for being very close-knit and active on campus. We’re pretty well known.
Overall, the scholars program is pretty well-known, and people have a good impression of it. It’s seen as a way for Freshmen to connect on campus, and it’s pretty well-respected.
I don’t know anything about Barrett unfortunately. :frowning: My scholars program has a Facebook page, so maybe ask if there’s any older students on the page who can answer more specific questions for you. Overall, I wouldn’t worry about anyone not liking your scholars program or anything like that. People know that if you got into Scholars, you were a hard worker in high school and they respect that. :slight_smile:

@Winky1 Barrett is one of the older and smaller dorms so it won’t be anything fancy, but it is definitely nice enough to live in and have a good time. I lived in a different dorm my sophomore year but the two basically looked the same and had similar layouts. I had a great time and didn’t feel too crammed.

Pinkpoet was pretty spot on about the Scholars programs. I decided not to do Scholars as an incoming freshman and I can tell you that is probably my only regret at Ohio State because it helps get you involved quickly and also gets you an immediate friend group. While I don’t know much about the other Scholars programs I can say without a doubt that the Mount Scholars program is the most well known on campus and really does have a great reputation. Also don’t worry about students perceptions on Scholars programs because from my experience nobody really has a negative attitude towards it.

Our D just completed the first year in Bio Scholars. She says the program was not too time consuming and she’s glad she was in it. As for Barrett, it’s small for four people. See this YouTube video for a view of a student’s Barrett room this past year: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=txEBa4ZB8bw

It will give you a good idea of what to bring and what to leave at home. Good luck!

I asked a similar question before but what is the priority registration for scholar students? Is it a huge advantage over others or not really one at all? For freshman, will you get the better times for classes like gen chem or GE’s or not really? Any relevant info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

There is an advantage but I don’t think huge. Also you get an earlier schedule time if you start your freshman year with AP credits. It’s a good idea to have a few schedule scenarios so you are prepared for the possibility of not getting your class day/time/teacher etc.

@Pinkpoet, @TexasBuckeye7, and @new2osu, thank you very much for the good info. It’s my son who will actually be attending OSU in the fall. I appreciate the insights. Another question, would anyone recommend or not recommend an incoming freshman attending one of the summer programs that allow them to camp/have leadership training, etc. so that they meet others and have some bonding before getting to campus? There is an outdoorsy one offered for only Honors and Scholars students that I think looks like it would be fun. There are lots of others as well.

@pitt2021 You get a slight scheduling advantage for Scholars, although it’s not a ton and your class rank and gpa still play a part in your registration date!

@Winky1 I think that if your son thinks he will enjoy a program like that, it definitely can’t hurt! If it’s something you can fit into your schedule I’d recommend it!

Hi I will be attending OSU from fall this year, and I need help selecting a meal plan. Please help regarding this matter. @Pinkpoet

Hi I will be attending OSU from fall this year, and I need help selecting a meal plan. Please help regarding this matter.

@Adwaya Meal plans will be discussed during orientation, just so you know. Do you have a specific question about any of the plans? Have you looked at the OSU dining website? They explain it pretty well!

@Adwaya Please reference my post on the other ask me anything thread. Also, I’ve messaged you!

@Pinkpoet: I need some help regarding my orientation. I will be majoring in Electrical and Computer Engineering, with the Honors program. Based on this, my on-campus orientation dates were available in three sets of dates: 2nd and 3rd June, 5th and 6th June,9th and 10th June. But as I am living in a foreign country now, I informed them that it will not be possible for me to attend orientation so early, when term doesn’t even start until late August. After this, they told me that they will invite me to the Online Orientation Program. Yet in the “Orientation Information” part of my Application Center, it is written that my orientation will be held on 21st August.
Now my questions are…

1. When is the Online Orientation and how is it going to be held?
  2. In carmen.osu.edu I can now see a term called “Online Orientation” listed under “My Courses”. Now is this the Online Orientation Program I am supposed to complete, or is it only a pre-orientation program (i.e orientation preparation program) that is being held for the real online orientation program to be held later?
  3. By when should I complete my Math D Test?
    4)How am I going to register for classes?

@Adwaya Hi! I actually don’t know much about online orientation, however since I’m a peer leader at orientation, I’llask one of my supervisors and see what they say. Since this is a pretty specific question, I’ll inbox you the answer. :slight_smile:

The math placement test should be taken at least 3 days before your orientation program. Since you are taking an online orientation, you should probably just take it as soon as you are able to, that way it’ll be out of the way.

Registration for classes is actually an online process. Normally students register for classes during orientation, so I assume there’s a special time for people participating in online orientation to do that. I would contact the orientation office for more details.

Any guidance on linens/towels/etc. for the dorms for an incoming freshman? We just received a “Residence Halls Advisory Council” packet recommending that we order items (especially sheets) now, from a vendor included in the mailing. They lead you to believe that a lot of outside world sheets won’t fit the extra long twin beds found in the dorms, and will cost more if you can even find the right size. Thanks for your help.