Asking for more financial aid

I’m sure this has been asked a million times but I’d love some help figuring out how to get more financial aid help from my daughters #1 choice. She already received what I believe to be their top merit award. I can make a legitimate argument that our income has decreased from 2021-2023 and we need financial assistance.

First of all, do I call or send a detailed email first?

Second, do I ask for a specific amount of money?

Third, if so, what amount should I ask for? I’d like 20k more (who wouldn’t?!). She has an offer from a similar caliber school that is 10k cheaper and two offers from less competitive schools that are each 20k cheaper. Can I ask for 20k? 15k?

Any other advice welcome. Thanks!

If your income has decreased enough that you may now qualify for need based aid, most schools have an appeal form on the website and you fill it in and provide the documentation requested (loss of job, loss of a parent, disaster relief zone).

If you want them to consider an offer from another peer school, I’d call the school and ask what to do, who to send an email to, etc. You might also ask if there are other types of aid available that she could apply for - dept scholarships, talent, leadership, housing.

1 Like

Schools usually only consider offers from the same caliber school…not similar…but the same. IOW, peer schools. Is your daughter’s $10k more offer really from a peer school…or just close to one. and is this a need based or merit offer.

It is always worth asking.

If you are inquiring about merit awards, those are usually done through the admissions office.

If need based, contact the financial aid office. For a significant income reduction, you will likely need to do a special circumstances request. Call the college and see what they require for this. They will want documentation of this income loss…and that you continue to have this reduced income. Just give them anything they ask for…and cross your fingers!

Merit aid is a little trickier. If your daughter really did receive the highest merit award offered by the school…I can’t see them increasing it.

Please remember financial aid is not guaranteed every year and will vary or even disappear based on your income changes. Merit aid is a set amount and only disappears if your child no longer meets the academic criteria.

Also, run the NPC based on your income change - does that change your cost ?

5 Likes

Also, realize that often times need and merit are not stackable - you can ask them that up front.

1 Like

Obviously, merit aid and need-based financial aid are not the same thing. If your daughter has already topped out on merit aid at this school and you need need-based aid to make the school possible, has your daughter submitted all the necessary forms, like FAFSA and CSS/Profile (if applicable)? What are the school’s need-based aid policies? Is the school in the relatively small group that guarantees to meet need for all admitted students? If not, historically how generous is the school with need-based aid? This kind of context will help you get the best advice and recommendations here.

1 Like