At UC, why does Physics 1 & 2 award twice as much credit as Physics C?

Hi all, I’m a senior trying to decide which Physics exam to self study for so I can skip it in college. Most colleges I’m applying to only award credit for Physics C, so I was confused when I saw that UC awards twice as much credit for Physics 1 than each of the physics C exams.

I have a good chance of going to a UC because I’m in state. At the same time, if I get a good financial aid offer at one of the privates I apply to, I’d much rather attend a private school. Given that most of my colleges only award credit for Physics C, which exam do you guys recommend I study for? Is it feasible to study for both physics C exams in 1 semester?

Physics C is divided up into 2 classes of one semester each - Mechanics and E&M. You would get university credit for both at the UCs. Getting credit and being able to skip a class are 2 different things though. For example even if you got a 5 on the Physics E&M, you would get void credits. Meaning that if you were say in Engineering or CS at UC-Berkeley for example, you wouldn’t be allowed to skip Physics 7b (the Physics E&M class). Once you took 7b, your AP credits would be voided. You would keep the credits if you never had to take the Physics 7b class but then again, you wouldn’t be able to take any higher Physics classes. Note that different departments and each school vary as far as course replacement for AP goes.

Note that for Physics 1 and 2 you would get credits but they too are void credits.

If you got a 5 on C:Mechanics, you are allowed to skip Physics 7a at Berkeley, as well as get credits. Once again, different departments may have different rules.

Different colleges can establish its own AP credit rules. Yes, it’s stupid that UC awards 8 units for AP Physics 1 but only 4 for AP Physics C: Mech. But they also cap all physics credits to 8 units anyway, similar to most colleges that grant AP credit for all physics exams.

As to which to self study, my general answer is none; take the class. But since you’re already a senior, it’s a bit late to take the class, so assuming you have calc knowledge, try to self study physics C

Doubtful unless you have nothing else to do; E&M is a bear even with a class.

You do get university credits for both Physics C Mech AND E&M at all UCs with a 3+. 5.4 total semester units or 8 quarter units. (Source: my kid’s UC transcript). The question is, will you be able to substitute/skip a Physics class with a good score? And that varies from department to department, university to university.