Attending a big school

<p>I was accepted to the Computer Graphics Technology program. Purdue looks like an awesome school, but it's huge! Originally I planned on going to a small college, but most places didn't have that major. </p>

<p>What's it like going to such a huge college? Do you get lost in the crowd? Do professors even recognize their students? Are the core classes enormous?</p>

<p>Even at an expensive private institution like Notre Dame, some freshman sections are 90-100 students, so you get some large class sections anywhere. There are ample opportunities to excel at a large university. No matter how large it is overall, you make it as small as you like by developing a close group of friends both in your dorm as well as in your individual courses. There are always study groups, and you should take advantage of them. Professors all offer office hours. You just need to make the effort. If you’d like to sit back and not be noticed, you can do that too, and you can do that a lot easier at a large institution, but you’d be doing yourself a big disservice, if that’s how you chose to operate.</p>

<p>College is a place where you can really take advantage of the many opportunities that will be presented, but they’re just as easily missed. It’s up to you. Bottom line is this: Work hard, and play hard. You’ll never have the opportunities or environment again in life, so take full advantage of it, and make your circle of friends as small as you’d like.</p>

<p>To be honest, Purdue often doesn’t feel that “big.” Most of your intro classes wherever you go will probably be in huge lecture halls. Balthezar is exactly right. You just have to make it happen. Nothing will fall into your lap.</p>

<p>When you walk around campus, you will realize its very small. People you don’t want to see, you see. No jokes.</p>

<p>I concur, especially in upper-level classes, the size gets smaller and you keep seeing the same faces over again.</p>