Auditing Courses hurt Med School Admissions Chances?

Hello all

While multivariable calc is not required for med school admissions, I wanted to take it anyway (I have credit for Calc 1 &2). Unfortunately, due to several unexpected/difficult situations and extremely strict grading it is hard to get a good gpa in that class. I would still like to learn the material (so I don’t want to withdraw from the class), but if I were to do so, I would have to “audit” - take the class without getting a grade/credit (shows up on my transcript as AD).

Would this look bad and hurt my chances of admission to medical school? Worse than a W? Is a C or AD better, especially since I don’t plan on retaking the class?

I know that I have AP credit for calc 1 and 2, which often isn’t accepted, but I plan to take other calc classes that are offered to help make up for it…just not this one.

Thank you for your help!

@WayOutWestMom I’ve read your replies to other inquiries and I think you’d know a lot about this!

You must report any audited class on your AMCAS application for med school. It will carry no quality points and so won’t be included in any GPA calculations.

The audit will have a neutral effect on your application. Won’t hurt it. Won’t help it.

If you decide to later retake the Calc 3/multivariable calc class, then your performance in that class may be scrutinized. If you don’t do well (A- or better) in it, then it may hurt your application. (Though I doubt it will be a major hit, unless you show a pattern of attempting a class, withdrawing from it and then taking it again later.)

If you receive credit for AP calc 1 and 2, then retake either/both of those classes, you need to ace them–but then that looks like grade grubbing (taking classes to artificially inflate your GPA) to adcomms.

I’d advise using your AP credit to get advanced standing in math. Then either retake multivariable calc/Calc 3 or take differential equations. (BTW, There are a small number of med schools that do require Calc 3.)

I’m curious if you know which ones? I haven’t found anything online. Thanks!

Carle Illinois SOM requires 3 semesters of calculus plus linear algebra and differential equations. Texas Tech (Engineers into Medicine Program) requires math thru partial differential equations. Harvard HST requires upper level mathematics that “typically includes differential equations and linear algebra.”

Wash U requires 2 semesters of calculus, though they recently softened that requirement to allow advanced biostatistics as a substitute for the second semester of calc.

1 Like