Ayesha at Last and The One - February CC Book Club Selection

I just started Ayesha, partly because my new DIL was excited by the sound of it. (Her dissertation is on Asian migrants - though not to Canada.) I gave her both books for Christmas. Both books were available from my library with no wait time other than whatever inter-library loan required.

1 Like

I now have both books and am ready to start reading. I’m starting with The One first and then sliding into Ayesha at Last. After taking a look at these two, I predict I’ll finish by the start of the Feb. 1 discussion (unlike my mistiming of Middlemarch.)

Looking forward to the discussion!

I have finished both. They are very fast reads.

1 Like

For lightweight grins & giggles a d greater context, just finished reading “The Prince and the Guard” and “Heir.” They are in “The One” selection series.

Oh dear, I think you read a different “The One” - it sounds like you read a book written by Kiera Cass. Although it does fit the theme of the other books!

@HImom not to worry, I just finished reading The One, John Marrs in one day! I couldn’t get the ebook from our library so I bought it.
Hope you can easily find the book. Once the plot unfolds, it’s hard to put this book down, I compared it to Gone Girl.

Ok. Have put hold on John Marrs book. Glad it wasn’t the other book— seemed more like YA than the group usually opts for.

I’m #1 on waitlist so hope to be notified any day.

I finished and liked Ayesha. Thanks for choosing it!

The One is still unavailable at my library and local used book store. I see it is only $7.99 on Amazon(free/fast shipping with Prime) and may order it… but of course might not finish it by 2/1. There are some surprisingly negative reviews that gave me pause. Any thoughts? (just looking for general encouragement - not wanting to prematurely start the Book Club discussion)

The One is a fast read. I was surprised that a 400 page book could go so quickly. There are 100 chapters, and each chapter has 1/2 of the first page of the chapter as part of the chapter number (if that makes sense). I am glad that I read it and look forward to the discussion.

2 Likes

A quick read. I like it - definitely some food for thought.

2 Likes

Personally I would not spend money on The One but don’t want to anticipate the discussion. I read both books last month.

1 Like

@Colorado_mom if you don’t buy the book, please don’t even look at the book discussion, because there are some TWISTS, and surprises, which would ruin the reading of The One.

I justify my ebook purchases like this.
I would not blink an eye spending $7.99 for a lunch, and I promise you The One, will give you plenty of hours at the edge of your seat, it’s a page turner.
The first couple of chapters, were off putting, and I thought ugh, bad purchase, not long after I was very happy I bought the ebook and couldn’t put it down, Hope this helps,

2 Likes

I ordered The One on Kindle (correction to my above statement: Kindle version $7.99, paperback Amazon $9.89). It sounds like I’ll be able to read quickly, then jump in for discussion.

Have others been able to find/read both titles?

1 Like

I checked out both books from my local library system. No problem - but then there seldom is with this library system. It raises a red flag if I can’t get a book, though sometimes I have to hop on a wait list. But not having a book - rarely happens.

1 Like

My library had The One both in hardcover and via Libby as an audiobook. I’ve actually been listening to it on my phone. They have a different narrator for each point of view character all with different accents. I think it’s quite well done.

It’s a page turner, but not IMO a great novel. I agree though that reading discussions about it will probably spoil it pretty seriously.

2 Likes

It’s February 1st! Welcome to our discussion of Ayesha at Last and The One. Pairing these two books was a shot in the dark, but they turned out to be a surprisingly good match (no pun intended :grimacing:). Both stories examine the pitfalls of letting someone else choose your mate, as well as the dangers of choosing your own. In either case—in both books—almost every character is quick to have an opinion about the right way to find Mr. or Ms. Right.

I found the books entertaining and they were quick reads, but I think @jerseysouthmomchess was on target when she compared buying the book to buying lunch. They were consumables. I gobbled them up, but they weren’t particularly nourishing. Some of the writing was pretty bad (e.g., “he took an overexaggerated breath” or—one of my favorites—“Untie me and let’s make this work”). And some of the plot developments (in both books, but especially The One) were ridiculous. That said, I kept happily turning those pages in spite of myself, even as I said “Ew!” I always find books like this hard to rate on Goodreads. They aren’t great literature, but they accomplish exactly what they set out to do. They make you want to find out what happens next, which is more than can be said for some “better” books I’ve tried to slog my way through.

8 Likes

I couldn’t find any discussions questions for The One, but below is a list for Ayesha at Last.

Please be aware that our discussion will be full of spoilers about The One. There are many surprises in the various stories, so if you haven’t finished it, join us later!

Discussion Questions for Ayesha at Last

1. How does Khalid Mirza—a bearded, white robe–wearing romantic—challenge stereotypes about Muslim men in Ayesha at Last?

2. What do you think will happen to Ayesha in terms of her career?

3. Ayesha’s relationship to her family is complicated but always rooted in love. How does her family influence her goals, ambition, and personality?

4. In Shakespearean tradition, the book ends with numerous couples: some in love, and others with arrangements that will lead to love. Who is your favorite couple and why?

5. Zareena has made peace with her marriage and situation in life. Were you surprised by her story and choices?

6. What further adventures do you foresee for Nani?

7. What role does Shakespeare play in the book, and how did Nana’s constant quotations develop the plot of Ayesha at Last?

8. The author wrote this book with many winking references to Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Why do you think she chose this classic Austen favorite? Do you think the homage to the famous 19th-century novel works in modern times?

9. Ayesha at Last makes reference to the idea of a duality that exists in many first- and second- generation immigrant communities. In particular, many characters living in North America are affected by events that happened “back home.” How is this relevant to our current world?

10. Did you feel any sympathy for Farzana?

11. Sheila is someone in a position of power over both Clara and Khalid, so it is diffcult for them to directly confront her at first. Have you ever been in a similar position and if so, what did you do?

12. The traditional way in which Khalid’s and Ayesha’s families view courtship contrasts greatly with the modern era of dating apps and casual hookups. What do you think are the pros and cons of each?

Just chiming to say . . . I won’t be chiming in much on these. I really didn’t care for Ayesha at Last – it just felt sooooo soap-y (ie, soap opera) to me. The fact that it was about a different culture that I didn’t know much about made it tolerable, but if it hadn’t been for that, I wouldn’t have read it.

I found the premise of The One really interesting – the whole DNA match thing – but even before I found out at the end that the matching software had been tampered with so no one could be sure that their match was really their correct match – I wondered if the whole thing was fraudulent. I forget everyone’s names, but the man who was matched with another man and didn’t have a gay bone in his body was a giveaway to me.

3 Likes

Nick and Alex. That storyline bothered me a lot. Was the author trying to say theirs was a true DNA match and the scientific pull of that was enough to turn a straight man gay? Or was he saying that it was a fraudulent match and the power of suggestion was strong enough to do so? Either way, borderline offensive. Although my gay friends would probably have laughed heartily.

2 Likes

I zipped through both books in just a few days. Yes, they were entertaining and just what I needed during these trying times. No, they aren’t anywhere close to great literature. Overall I liked both books for what they are.

There were several plot twists in “The One,” a few of which I could see coming. As @Mary13 mentioned, there were a few outlandish plot developments. Two that especially bothered me were (1) how easy it was for the computer system to be hacked and (2) Christopher’s apparent turn-around from being a serial killer because of his finding true love.

Re: “Ayesha at Last” – yes it was a soap opera read, but IMO it was still entertaining. It was clear from the beginning that Ayesha and Khalid would end up together, and the path to get there was probably longer and more twisted than it needed to be, but it was sort of fun to be along for the ride.

4 Likes