Bama Bound without parent?

<p>DS and a close friend are considering driving down together (14 plus hrs) to attend an early session of Bama Bound. DH thinks this is just fine especially since it will save us several hundred dollars in airfare/hotel stay/car rental when we will be doing that later in the summer for move in (Hoping DS will do Alabama Action). Setting aside all my personal reservations about the plan as his mother- here are a few questions I have:</p>

<p>Is it really necessary to go to an early session or could he wait to do the last session before move in? DS seems to have his four years mapped out, taking into consideration approximately 24 credits from AP classes and going for a major, minor, and concentration. I am very concerned that he is in for a shock to think he can waltz in with a schedule and get all of the classes he needs (he understands that he may not get first choice for times). We understand the release of spots in classes as the sessions progress, but could there be an advantage to get into one of those first sessions? I see mixed opinions about this in previous threads and appreciate reading the ‘real world’ experiences students had.</p>

<p>Is there important information I would miss at the parent session that I could not get online? I did go with him to visit in November but still don’t feel I have a handle on everything as this is our first child going off to college. I do like the idea of an orientation but can we wait for that closer to move in as well?</p>

<p>Even though DS is several months into his 18th year, don’t most parents go with their kids to Bama Bound (even if they don’t attend the parent sessions?)? Again- would appreciate any anecdotal experiences- ‘i.e…my kid went solo with no issues.’ </p>

<p>Thanks in advance for any feedback!</p>

<p>Just my opinion, so take it for what it’s worth:</p>

<p>I think the biggest advantage to attending an earlier session is not that there would be more classes available at that time, but that there is more time later on to change the schedule. This year, my son in his second year had to make some late changes to his schedule. When he first checked, there were very few options available, but it seems that every single day students were making changes. During the summer upper class students can modify their schedules too, so some students decide to drop out, some decide to change their major, some decide to change their schedule to be in a class with a friend or because of a work schedule, so classes that might not be available during Bama Bound may become available later. As for whether or not it’s necessary, it all depends on the classes your student is hoping to register for. There will be a lot of sections available for 100 level classes, but if your students AP classes make them comfortable taking 200 or 300 level courses, those may be more difficult to get into. If you posted the courses your student was considering, many here could provide advice on how difficult it may be for those specific courses.</p>

<p>I enjoyed going to the parent sessions (and I had visited twice before Bama Bound), but I don’t think it’s necessary. You can get all the info in other ways. </p>

<p>Personally my biggest concern would be the drive. I don’t think there’s any way I (as a mother) would have let my then 17 year old even drive the 7-8 hours from my house with a friend. NO WAY! My son did make that drive when he moved down in August of his freshman year, but even then his dad took a second car and drove along with him. I am not even a paranoid person, but I envision getting lost in a bad neighborhood, having car problems, being in an accident… That’s a LONG drive for students that age to make on their own. Have they done a lot of independent travel that you trust that they can handle it?</p>

<p>(My son has since done the less than 8 hour drive we have on his own several times, but that first time I was much more comfortable knowing that a parent was accessible if he had any trouble).</p>

<p>“am very concerned that he is in for a shock to think he can waltz in with a schedule and get all of the classes he needs (he understands that he may not get first choice for times).”</p>

<p>Students should come to Bama Bound with a “schedule grid” with possible courses penciled in with OTHER options penciled in as well.</p>

<p>For instance, in the 10am MWF spots on the schedule grid, a student might list History 101 CRN XXXXX, Psych 101 CRN YYYYY, Sociology ZZZZZ. So that if History is full, then plug in Psych or Socio. </p>

<p>Always write the CRN numbers next to the name. THOSE CRNs are what are used for registration. That’s what will get plugged into your computer to register.</p>

<p>jrcsmom- yes- as a mother, my reaction was the same ‘no way!’ He has traveled solo to a camp a few summers ago (flew out on his own and met counselors at an airport)… Also, last summer he drove 5 1/2 hr each way with a friend to a college overnight orientation…I was supposed to go with him but came down with the flu so bad that I could barely lift myself upright in bed to protest, and again, my husband thought he’d be just fine (which he was). I do think 14 hrs is too long and agree with all of the ‘what if’s’ I am trying to find a good reason to insist I go considering he is over 18, very responsible (honors student, taking 6 AP classes this year alone, holding down a part time job, in clubs/sports etc), and, as much as I don’t like it, would be able to take road trips any time/any where he wants once he is away at college…and may even be traveling with that friend over the next four years for breaks so maybe it is best to get the routine started. I’m having a hard time letting go and wishing we could be doing this more in baby steps!</p>

<p>mom2collegekids- thank you for the advice about the schedule… I think my son has that mapped out with something on the Alabama website? It is showing all of the classes he needs to fulfill his requirements over the 4 yrs, so he could pick from those to substitute if the ones he wants to start with are full. I’ll follow up with him to make sure he has those CRNs. </p>

<p>I do appreciate what jrcsmom is saying about having more time to change it throughout the summer. </p>

<p>I think there is an advantage to doing the earlier Bama Bound session. At least the year my D attended BB, there were opportunities at each subsequent BB to pick up classes she didn’t get at her BB, because more seats opened up. She was able to get into every class she wanted at the time she wanted with one exception - a class typically taken by upperclassmen that was pretty much full before even the first Bama Bound started and for which additional seats were not opening up over the summer. She got the class, just not at her preferred time.</p>

<p>Make sure your son goes to Bama Bound with a list not only of the classes he wants, but also his second and third choices. Chances are that he won’t walk out of BB with the perfect schedule, but he should have plenty of time to tweak it over the summer.</p>

<p>As far as the “is it worth it for a parent:” I had twins, with one going to Auburn and one to Alabama. “Camp War Eagle” as the Barners call it did a MUCH BETTER job for both students and parents. There were all-day sessions for each with lots of info and lots of activities, even if you already knew a lot about Auburn. Alabama’s - not so much (which to me, as an Alabama alumna, was infuriating!). BUT - if you are unsure about anything, I would highly recommend that you go, especially if you are unfamiliar with the school and town. There was a very helpful session put on by the parents’ association, with a great booklet that listed vouched-for businesses such as car repair shops, dry cleaners, etc. Plus, you get a chance to get a little more familiar with campus layout etc. So - overrule DS’s objections and go with him!
Yes, I would recommend an early session because of the issue of getting the class schedule you want.</p>

<p>I went by myself as did a lot of other students,considering a lot of us were out of state and it wasn’t worth paying for an extra plane ticket and hotel room just for a two day college orientation session. There isn’t really anything parents need to know that they don’t already by that point or can’t find out by going on the website. And as for the earlier session it just means there will be more classes available. My BB was in early July and I had no problem getting the classes and time slots I wanted, and your son should be fine no matter when he goes- unless he’s planning on taking honors classes, cause those DO fill up quickly. </p>

<p>If you’re making the drive then one more person won’t add to that part of the cost - save on hotel cost in Tuscaloosa - you can stay in the dorm cheaply. Not the greatest but not horrible. It was nice to share this experience with child, the excitement leading up to it, comparing observations and trip home. </p>