Couple of questions about Bama Bound

<p>I just emailed Ms. Batson, but she’s out of office this week. I don’t know when to expect a reply, and I feel kind of pressed for time, so I’d really appreciate it if anyone here could answer my questions :)</p>

<p>Firstly, is it necessary that a parent accompany me? My parents have to work, so it’d be easier on them if they could just send me off on a plane on my own.</p>

<p>If I sign up for the June 2-3 session, can I expect to be home by the 4th? My graduation is that day, and I can’t really miss it. </p>

<p>Is there ANY disadvantage to attending a non-honors Bama Bound session? At this point, that seems to be the most viable option for me.</p>

<p>Notan,</p>

<p>I don’t think it’s necessary for a parent to accompany you. I don’t intend to accompany my son. </p>

<p>You’ll probably be home by the evening of the 3rd unless you live outside the continental US, particularly if you are flying.</p>

<p>I don’t know if there is any disadvantage to attending a non-honors Bama Bound. Remember, though, that you can change the Bama Bound dates. It appears that the May 16th Honors Bama Bound is full, but, some may change their date to a later date and thus open a spot. I check it daily because my son would prefer to attend on the 16th.</p>

<p>I don’t think you need your parents with you – I’m flying down by myself as well. I think it’s just if they want to hear everything too, but certainly not necessary.</p>

<p>There are schedules on the website, but I’m pretty sure each orientation ends by around noon on the second day, so you should be able to take a flight home that leaves in the afternoon and be home that night (depending on how long the flight is).</p>

<p>I’ve asked this on here as well, and most people seem to say there is not, really. The only disadvantage I could see would be not having the opportunity to meet as many other students in the honors program – there are definitely quite a few honors kids going to non-honors sessions, though, so that doesn’t seem like a big deal.</p>

<p>“Firstly, is it necessary that a parent accompany me? My parents have to work, so it’d be easier on them if they could just send me off on a plane on my own”. </p>

<p>No, your parent doesn’t need to be there. My lil bro went last year by himself and had no problems. Many kids in fact prefer to go by themselves as it gives them a 2 day peek at college life on their own.</p>

<p>“If I sign up for the June 2-3 session, can I expect to be home by the 4th? My graduation is that day, and I can’t really miss it”</p>

<p>You’ll be home on the 3rd if you book your travel that day. If you’re driving then I guess it depends on how far your drive is. Your BB session will be over by noon on the 3rd at the very latest.</p>

<p>“Is there ANY disadvantage to attending a non-honors Bama Bound session? At this point, that seems to be the most viable option for me.”</p>

<p>Other than not meeting other honors college kids there are no disadvantages that I can think of. I’d just try to go to the earliest possible session that fits your schedule so that you have a better opportunity of adjusting your schedule throughout the summer.</p>

<p>You should be fine if you book your flight home in the afternoon of the second day of Bama Bound…like a 2 pm flight. You could do an earlier flight, but you would have to make sure that you’re done earlier with registration. I could tell you how to do that. BTW…don’t worry if you’re not exactly happy with what you’ve registered for, you can change that many times once you’re back home.</p>

<p>You don’t need a parent with you.</p>

<p>Since you’re graduating the next day and flying to/from campus, I would somewhat caution against attending the June 2-3 Bama Bound session as planes do get delayed. That said, I flew home from Bama Bound the night before my senior prom. I knew that should my flight be cancelled going home just as it was when I flew to Bama Bound, there would still be plenty of available flight options the next day that would get me to Seattle before prom started. While I decided not to attend prom, I did attend graduation and knew that my graduation day would very busy. It would have been very anti-climatic for me to arrive home just in time for the graduation ceremony. I’d suggest that you choose a different Bama Bound session. Even if it is a non-honors section, you will still meet lots of cool people and maybe even make some new friends. :)</p>

<p>Alright, thank you guys! :slight_smile: I don’t see graduation as a huge deal (probably because I’ll have to wait for over 700 kids to walk across the stage) but my dad would have a snit fit if I missed it. I think that since there is no obvious reason not to register for a non-honors session, I probably will. If anyone else has any other words of wisdom, I’d appreciate any additional input.</p>

<p>I agree with Sea_tide, I would pick another Bama Bound session. Graduation may not seem important but think how you and your parents would feel if you missed it. You would miss a very important event that you have worked hard for, miss seeing your friends graduate, miss your teachers accolades.</p>

<p>Weather and flying can be a tricky thing, I would take a non-honors session over the possibility of a missed or cancelled flight.</p>

<p>Hi Notan,</p>

<p>Students are not at a disadvantage by coming to a non-honors session. The main differences are that you would miss a brief address from Dean Sharpe, as well as an Open House at Nott Hall, home of the Honors College. Still, Honors College has personnel available at every Bama Bound session to meet with students and families, and formal presentations are offered at each Freshman Session.</p>

<p>Hope that helps. If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to call the Bama Bound Orientation office at 205-348-4999.</p>