Berkeley or UCLA?

<p>I am a white male who is thinking of majoring in econ. and/or history. (Yes I know I must apply for the school of haas at the end of my sophomore year at berkeley). Considering all things (soical life, education, location, etc.) which is better and maybe more prestigious…I wanna possibly become a lawyer if that helps. Plus I love sports and socializing…Thanks!</p>

<p>i would say berkeley and thats because i like the urban feel of it more than the chique feel of ucla and westwood. plus ucb is the only UC on the semester system so if u like learning slower or at the same pace u did as in high school than choose berkeley. both schools have great sports and party atmosphere</p>

<p>For your major, definitely Berkeley.</p>

<p>Berkeley all the way!! especially for humanities.</p>

<p>UCLA has the largest history department in the nation, which has its perks (lots of scholars and classes to learn from.) Both are pretty comparable in terms of grad school acceptance rates.</p>

<p>Econ, I would say, is in Berkeley's house. </p>

<p>Go check 'em both out and see what feels "right" to you.</p>

<p>And why does your ethnicity matter?</p>

<p>Because Berkeley is more diverse than LA.</p>

<p>Well, never being one to shy away from testing people's often unfounded claims, I decided to get the facts straight from the UC itself. Which UC is more diverse, I wondered?</p>

<p>UC Berkeley:</p>

<p>African American: 4%
American Indian: 0.6%
Asian/Pacific Islander: 39.8%
Chicano/Latino: 10.7%
White: 30.3%
Other: 5.3%
Not Stated: 9.4%</p>

<p>UCLA</p>

<p>African American: 3.5%
American Indian: 0.4%
Asian/Pacific Islander: 37.2%
Chicano/Latino: 15.5%
White: 33.3%
Other: 5.5%
Not Stated: 4.5%</p>

<p>Which campus is more diverse? Well, UCLA certainly has more Hispanics. A lot more. UCB has a negligibly larger black population, however. 2% more Asians at UCB certainly doesn't qualify as "more diverse," and neither does the 9.4% of "not stated" people. </p>

<p>In the end, it's stupid to say that UCB is more or diverse than UCLA or vice versa. Remember, just having more of one ethnic group doesn't make your school diverse. If that were the case, Bob Jones University would be the most diverse campus in America.</p>

<p>just a note to those who are seeking diversity: </p>

<p>a diverse campus does not follow that you will experience all the positives of diversity. you must be a risk taker and make the most of the diversity opportunities at your campus. otherwise, going to ucb/ucla can be much like going anywhere else.</p>

<p>I don't really see the big deal about "diversity" anyway. Not everyone looks at the world through "race vision". For some, they look at the population as a whole as being diverse regardless of race.</p>

<p>For one, you're more likely to have a floormate in your dorm who had a different cultural experience growing up that you can learn from. It's not about "racevision;" it's about cultural experience.</p>

<p>agreed with UCLAri. the diversity/cultural experience can make a difference.</p>

<p>Yeah, but who's to say members within a group aren't diverse? A white Australia, an Eastern Siberian, and a North African berber are all considered white, but they are just different from each other as the difference between two different skin colors.</p>

<p>Of course, perhaps you guys believe that solely creates diversity, but I don't agree with that notion.</p>

<p>Berkeley is probably better than UCLA in both. But you can't go wrong with either.</p>

<p>I am a 21 yr old transfer history major from San Francisco. I think I’m going to Berkeley. Can you change my mind?</p>

<p>I looked at the schedule of classes of each school and UCLA has way more and way better classes. Why is UCB considered better in History?</p>

<p>^^UCLA is on the quarter system, Zack. By definition, it must have 50% more courses offered, for the same sized student body. Which courses are “better” is a personal thing, but Cal’s history dept is highly ranked in the world of academe. OTOH, UCLA does have 2x the number of history majors as does Cal, so UCLA will have a broader program.</p>