Berkeley (Regents) vs Rice for Public Health/Public Policy + Biology

Hi all!! I was recently accepted to UC Berkeley as a Regents and Chancellor’s Scholar and Rice University and I have been struggling with deciding where to go. I was hoping you all could help me weigh the pros and cons of these schools and shed some light on the benefits of Regents at Berkeley. I am planning on double majoring in public health/public policy and biology as a pre-med. I qualify for in-state tuition at Berkeley, but cost isn’t a deciding factor for me since I have outside scholarships. Thank you!!

2 Likes

Net price at each?

Remember that medical school is very expensive.

Besides the money you have big vs small. Rice had no Greek. It’s less ‘rough’ - in fact the area is nicer.

But yes financials are important.

You may look at class sizes. Etc.

Good luck.

1 Like

After scholarships and financial aid, they’re similar prices so I think I’m going to make my decision based more on what place would set me up for the most success as a pre-med (access to resources, professors, etc.)

That’s actually up to you - how hard you work at it - and that’s at any school.

You might look at class sizes though - in your major - not overall. I suspect you will find Rice far more to your liking - but it does deserve more study.

Two great choices - congrats on the admits.

2 Likes

On a per capita basis, CA has a lot fewer med schools than TX, so instate acceptance there is a tad easier than acceptance in CA. Therefore, I’d contact an attorney in Texas to see if it might be possible to gain Texas residency for med school apps, even after a post-bac gap year instant (doing research, for example). If so, Rice is the easy answer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.