Best and worst PASSHE school?

Temple is threatening to end in-state tuition discount. I think it’s just a bunch of saber-rattling but it got me all upset again about the supposed low cost of the state-related schools…

http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion/commentary/temple-president-in-state-tuition-discount-ends-if-pa-doesnt-pass-budget-opinion-20171010.html

@MACmiracle oh I see, that makes sense, I thought you were from Eastern PA.

She might need to see it. From what I’ve heard, it is a compact campus, somewhat insulated from the city.
Might be worth to see how much money she could get with a free app.
I don’t know if they can live on campus all four years, that might make her feel better, and she can enjoy the culture of the city with friends.

@Gatormama Thanks for the article. Temple has been growing leaps and bounds, and is extremely popular where we live (Philly suburban kids). Now they want tax payer money to build a new stadium. I think there is probably room to cut expenses.

I liked Temple’s campus when we toured for DS and know a few kids going there. DD has no interest and good thing, as we couldn’t afford it! (DS qualified for the full tuition scholarship back in 2015)

IUP had a rep at DD’s high school this past week. Of all the kids that attended, she was the only one in honors/AP classes, so she feels even more strongly that IUP would not be a good school for her. :frowning:

I have a few events to attend this week for her at the high school… I know the school always lists the previous honor society kids and the schools they chose to attend. Would like to see which PaSSHE schools are listed, as I might be able to use it as leverage.

@laralei, that’s exactly why she would be a great candidate for the honors college at IUP and other PASSHE schools.

And that comes with perks, and merit money.

With need based federal and state grants at maximum $10,000, plus the student loan, going away to school and living on campus is barely affordable.

Yes, @mommdc, I agree and have been pushing the honors college at all the state schools.

You are right on the money about affordability. She needs at least some merit for her to be able live on campus.

As a point of interest, CALU was offering money on the raise me site, which is why I was keeping it on her list. I expected to be able to get at least one more semesters grades in before it closed, bringing her merit award up to around $3K or better, but when there recently, it has closed early! Interesting.

Were they worried about too much $$ being awarded? or did their recent increase in students allow them to stop the incentive?

@laralei I was curious about where top students went form my sons school (we live in the Poconos) so I decided to look it up. Most of the Honor Society/ Cum Laude students chose private schools. My son chose Bloomsburg /Honors. He graduated Summa Cum Laude. He chose Bloomsburg because of financial reasons. They gave him a nice scholarship and he was invited into the honors program. He really likes it so far. Yesterday the honors kids spent the day in NYC and went to see a broadway play. Most kids from his school chose Pitt, Penn State & Temple. My son got into a lot of schools all of which gave him nice scholarships but after crunching and showing him what he would actually owe, he chose Bloomsburg. So far we are very happy with his choice.

Anyone have guidance on Eastern Kentucky U?
Scholarship info is intriguing:

http://admissions.eku.edu/smart#_ga=2.197209775.1227206138.1508120387-1295524277.1508120387

@Gatormama I think we looked at it, but like many schools that might be affordable, it didn’t really save us any money over our state schools and isn’t really any better ranked either. So it becomes a matter of why chose it?

I just mapped it and it is a loooong drive. With DS at Bama, I am tired of the long drive, well more so the construction, traffic, and accidents! Flying home gets expensive, and now that Bama has stopped running a school shuttle, the costs to get to the airport have doubled. (at least there is a nearby airport) We easily spent $3K a year just for travel expenses, and he didn’t get to come home for fall break, or Thanksgiving, and this year he won’t be home for spring break either. He has lots of friends on campus and a gorgeous off campus housing complex, but I know he would have liked to have come for holidays to see all his old friends, some he has known since he was 3 yrs old. Considering the great scholarship he received, it was still an incredible deal, but…

I think if it has a specific program that you really like, that might make the difference. Or if your DD wants an entirely different experience, and costs are comparable, why not?

PASSHE’s interim chancellor praises Millersville University, talks about system priorities at visit…

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/passhe-s-interim-chancellor-praises-millersville-university-talks-about-system/article_7c841bc2-b04b-11e7-a1fc-b3b1124219bd.html

Well, I don’t like that she approved of the school’s per-credit tuition model, though supposedly Millersville gives financial aid to lower income kids to offset the higher tuition.

We did look at this school very briefly then moved on, don’t remember why… maybe because of their tuition policy! :wink:

@laralei @bester1 I liked Millersville quite a bit. The new dorms were great and the location seemed good (near Lancaster but in a quiet section). The cost on paper did seem somewhat higher than other PASSHE options, but can’t remember exactly why. Maybe it was a combination of the new dorms, the tuition model and/or extra fees, but I remember thinking that they should be careful with all of these costs.

PASSHE, faculty union reach tenative deal on new contract

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-nws-passhe-faculty-contract-20171017-story.html

Some of the more discerning voices in higher ed are starting to analyze the “Pennsylvania” situation. Interesting to read.

https://bryanalexander.org/2017/10/18/one-path-forward-for-public-higher-education-ending-in-state-tuition-discounts/

Yeah, our unis would cop to reality and end this fiction of being public.

Good one. Having said that…Penn State really isn’t a state school…state related…the PASSHE schools are truly state schools.

State universities’ enrollment on the decline but their next year funding needs increase…

http://www.pennlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/10/state_universities_enrollment.html#incart_river_index

I still don’t understand why they aren’t even considering closing a few of the 14 with declining enrollment numbers. They could then redirect some of those funds to possibly reducing COA at the others?

From ^^ article:

“Those priorities are ensuring student success, leveraging the strengths of each of the universities, and transforming the system’s leadership and governance structure.”

And can this be any more nebulous?

Well I think it isn’t that easy to just close colleges/universities for a variety of political, economical and community health reasons. Elected officials don’t want their areas to fail, many of the towns that the schools are based would be economically hit very hard, and the general health of these areas would diminish.

From purely a glance it may appear like a no-brainer…I just think it is more complicated than that.

@bester1 I agree that those are reasons often given. I think state college for be for educating our students first. Benefits to the surrounding community should be second.

Cheney doesn’t really have this excuse since it is not that remote, and the community is surrounded by other institutions such as West Chester.