Best colleges for Broadcast Journalism

<p>Within my reach with these scores:
SAT M640;CR600;W600
ACT 28 </p>

<p>Will take tests one more time - shooting for a 31 ACT and 2000 SAT but if I can't, what would be my options...
Thanks!</p>

<p>bump bump bump</p>

<p>Syracuse has a great journalism college, but I’m not sure if it focuses on broadcast journalism, print journalism, or both.</p>

<p>University of Missouri</p>

<p>bump bump bump</p>

<p>Mizzou
Syracuse</p>

<h2>Northwestern</h2>

<p>UNC
UGA
NYU
USC</p>

<p>The first 3 are considered the top 3 (no order)
The next 4 are usually the ones mentioned when someone talks about top 5 or 10, also no order.</p>

<p>Scripps Howard school of Broadcasting.</p>

<p>What are thoughts on Emerson College in Boston for Broadcast Journalism?</p>

<p>Great List of schools - Thanks. But with my scores above currently ( i am hoping to get them up in the Fall) - do I have a chance of getting in to any of these? I know Northwestern no way unless my scores are raised way up but what do you think about the others? </p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>I second UGA.</p>

<p>Try Ohio University (Athens) Scripps School of Journalism. It is very highly rated. Matt Lauer probably most heralded graduate. Admission very competitive and has I think a Dec. 15 deadline. I’m an OU alum from '67 and still go back when I can and it still is the best campus I’ve been on. If you go visit you might feel the same.</p>

<p>

Extremely good. Emerson was one of only 5 colleges asked to cover the Olympics. </p>

<p>UNC, Ithaca, Missouri, and Iowa were the others.</p>

<p>how about arizona state</p>

<p>I just realized I made a mistake in a previous post. It’s the, “Specs Howard School of Broadcasting.” :-)</p>

<p>You don’t need to major in journalism to enter the field. In fact a different major might be better because it lets you bring something else to the table. A science major would be attractive to employers looking for someone work on stories involving the medical or hi-tech fields. A poli-sci major that took the right classes would be able to help untangle what is going on in local or state government. And so on.</p>

<p>Some schools have programs that help you get experience, but if you are motivated you can look for internships and coop jobs from any school. And experience is whats going to get you going. If you wait until you graduate to start working in the field, you’ll be an also-ran compared to college grads with a page full of positions they’ve held. You need to start early, getting less competitive positions so that later you can be a candidate for jobs such as an NBC page (see [NBC</a> page - Wikipedia](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC_page]NBC”>NBC page - Wikipedia)). You start by working at the school paper, getting any job (or volunteering) at a local TV station, and then build/network from there.</p>

<p>The most important thing for you to know is that your future is going to depend on what you do, not whether you attend some “best” college for journalism. Plenty of kids from great schools such as Syracuse or Missouri are going to struggle to find jobs because they didn’t spend the time laying the groundwork to be attractive to employers. To be sure, going to a top school and taking advantage of all the resources puts you in a great position. Bottom line, however, attending a top school doesn’t guarantee success, nor does going somewhere else prevent it. So focus less on a search for “top” schools and more on finding out what it takes to be a success when you finish.</p>

<p>Yes. What you are saying does make a lot of sense. Good advice indeed. I was thinking to major in journalism but minor in something else. But don’t certain colleges have better access and connections to those prime internship opportunities at local TV stations and such? NYU for example or Emerson in Boston?</p>

<p>

Yes and no. Certainly they have programs, but you don’t walk into a prime internship as your 1st job. You do other ones first, build up a resume that lets you apply to the prestige slots. And no matter where you go to college, you have something that NYU students and the like don’t have – access. They can apply for a summer job, but you have 9 months during the school year to work at the local station thats hundreds of miles or more from them. So they aren’t competing with you for those positions.</p>

<p>Keep in mind, too, that the people with the best connections in journalism are journalists. Work at your local station and they’ll have contacts elsewhere, people will move to take new jobs, etc. Work hard and do a super job at everything you can, and they’ll be happy to help you get in touch with people they know professionally.</p>

<p>As for major, I’d suggest flipping it around. Major in something else, minor in journalism. A journalism major doesn’t get you a job, the experience you get thru your college years does. You don’t even have to major in journalism as long as you get the right set of experiences.</p>

<p>One other suggestion – post on the Parents forum. Ask how to prepare to become a broadcast journalist. Several parents who post regularly work in journalism and can help you understand how to get started. You might also want to look for career books and other web resources. Finally my best tip: informational interviewing. You’re going to be in the journalism field, you must enjoy talking to people. As popularized in the book “What Color is Your Parachute”, get in touch with a few reporters at local stations. Tell them you’re a HS student interested in getting into the field (which makes it non-threatening, you’re not going to be asking for a job) and ask them if you can meet them somewhere for coffee and a 15 minute conversation on what THEY recommend you do to prepare.</p>

<p>I can’t believe, in all these discussions of broadcast journalism schools, that no one’s mentioned Marshall University … yeah, the one where the plane crash was in the movie “We are … Marshall”. Even regional, fourth-tier, no-names have pockets of excellence, and this is Marshall’s. One of their recent graduates was named best college sportcaster in the country and they’ve won award after award after award. It’s about as affordable as it gets, too … OOS tuition is about $12,000 a year, less than many schools charge for in-state. You should check it out.</p>

<p>I also Want to Major in Broadcast Journalism Nd I Believe the Best School Is Syracuse</p>

<p>Yes, Syracuse is particularly strong in broadcast journalism.</p>