Best nursing college for me

I am applying to Stony Brook, NYU, Binghamton, and Quinnipiac University. Which University out of the ones that I am applying to is the best for nursing?

Unless you are getting a ton of aid for all 4 years, I don’t think NYU is worth the price for a nursing degree. Now, add in the high cost of living and housing.

okay, so besides NYU, what is the best nursing college out of the ones that I am applying to?

Binghamton

@readthetealeaves may I ask why?

What are the NCLEX passing rates at each school? Take a look at a few years worth of information as well as making sure the passing rates are for first time passing not second round. That shows you how well they prepare you to pass the all important test.
Besides that, where do they do their clinicals? What are the opportunities for any type of research or allowing you to have some say in what kind of clinical experience you would like?
When do all of them start real hands-on learning? Some wait until junior year others do it freshman or sophomore year.
Also, where would you like to live and work when you leave school? If it’s in the Connecticut area choose a great school in Connecticut. If it’s in New York a New York school would do. Hospitals and the like would be more familiar with graduates from local area universities rather than from those out of state although most of yours are in the same general region.

Good luck.

One of the advantages of doing clinicals in an area where you want to work is that you can get a feel for different hospitals and how they treat their nurses. However, it is not essential to go to school near where you work.

Besides looking for the cheapest option, my daughter looked at what classes were required overall for the degree, what grades were needed to “pass” the prerequisites and nursing classes, how much nursing fees were for each class (this is the hardest thing to find out), and looked generally at when classes were usually offered to get an idea of what kind of schedule she would have. That is how she found the “best” college for nursing for her.

SUNY Plattsburgh also has a direct admit program.

Yes, many colleges charge extra fees and/or tuition for nursing, especially in the last 2 years. Some colleges also charge extra for science labs.

This is an excellent answer provided by http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/profile/Momtofourkids.
One way or the other you may spend a bit more for a prestigious Nursing college degree, but ultimately you need to look at reputation and evidence of being able to be successful in writing the nursing exams. Plattsburgh State University (or sometimes called SUNY Plattsburgh) is definitely a place to stay away from, as discussed elsewhere in College Confidential. However, the downstate New York universities may be cheaper in the long run because you can get a higher paying job. Yet also the Momtofourkids is correct that the cost of living has to be considered. Outofstate tuition versus lower in state tuition come into play. Some students qualify for Pell or other grands as well as state awards to offset tuition. I find that working a few years at $80,000 or so pays off the student loans really quickly so keep that in mind when choosing a school… without a reputable degree and without the knowledge to pass the exams, you will waste your time and tuition!

One thing I did not realize is that employers are looking at the cost of relocating, usually they pay $3000 at the very low end to over $20,000 for higher positions. An HR advisor told me that relocation is built in to the decision making, meaning if you are local, it may put you higher on their selection list priority. On the other hand, nurses tend to be in demand everywhere so I believe Charlie is right in that you need to spend time evaluating the work environment at hospitals or healthcare facilities… you would not want to work your first job for only a few months and quit due to poor working conditions as it would look very bad on your resume. It is better to get into a good hospital especially for your first 2-4 years, and that requires a reputable degree and so on. Distance to drive to work as well as housing costs are other very important factors to evaluate. Your degree may be only 4 years but your career is a lot longer!