Best way to describe athletics in activities

Curious for those with athletes who do not hold a position of “captain” or are not a “starter”, yet their varsity sport takes up a huge amount of time and is their main activity and passion, how best to describe what they do? “Play middle line backer on varsity football” does not quite cut it…Advice? He is stumped and not sure how to truly convey everything football entails and feels like since he is not a “key member” it is even harder.

I think saying “middle line backer on varsity team” does cut it if that is the sum total of the student’s experience. AOs do understand the commitment of varsity and club sports and know that not every player will be captain or play maker.

At the same time, think about whether that is all your child actually does. Is he the team mate who brings rah rah spirit to every game, win or lose? Did he organize charity drives the team completed? Or help design/implement summer conditioning programs? If he did more than what is expected of any varsity athlete, figure out how to write that as well.

Edited to Add: What does your son think AOs might miss with the description “middle line backer on varsity team”? What part of his experience isn’t conveyed there? If he can articulate that - then add his articulation. If he loves the sport so much and wants to make sure that is clear (and he isn’t writing about it in his essay) - maybe he says, “Middle line backer on varsity team with best team & coaches a player could hope to experience” or “Middle line backer on varsity team that won the last 3 state championships” or whatever he wants to add.

2 Likes

OK thanks this is helpful. And yes, I think it is more like he is a very “average” player but with a huge love of the camaraderie he found being part of the team. He is the kid who has shown up to every summer workout at 6:30 am, while many of the starters and captains slept through, eagerly participated in the 7x7 summer leagues even though his playing time has been very limited, etc., etc. He is trying to figure out a way to convey that I guess is the best way to describe it. He said to me “I don’t just want it to sounds like I am a rando on the team when I have committed so much to it”.

Maybe he writes “Middle line backer, varsity team, never missed a single 6:30am practice”

Or

“Middle line backer, varsity team, 4 time 7x7 summer league player”

But maybe he also needs to remember that there are over 50 players on NFL football teams and they all get a ring when a team wins a Super Bowl, even if the average fan doesn’t know their name.

3 Likes

IMO, if this is a passion, he’s better off weaving it into an essay than worrying how to convey in the activity section. He’ll have a slot to put in the hours spent practicing/training/playing so the time commitment will be evident.

5 Likes

So I don’t think being a non-starter on a mainstream varsity team is a “bad” EC, and in fact it sort of speaks for itself as a major contribution to the school community in a way which is handy. But I do agree the activity description could include team success (if any), and also a brief description of those summer activities.

Then if the applicant wants “more than normal” credit for being on varsity (which I again think gets significant credit to begin with), probably that will have to be raised in an essay, or maybe a recommendation.

1 Like

To me, the addition of “never missed a 6:30 am practice” tells me a great deal, in the way other additions do not. It is a shorthand way to convey, grit, perseverance, hard work, determination, reliability, responsibility – all fantastic things! These things are not conveyed by adding “state champion finalist team” or whatever.

Another vote for writing about football in the essay to illuminate aspects of your son not necessarily seen in other areas of the application. That is, the intangibles.

3 Likes

It also uses a specific number! Seems silly, I know, but specific numbers tend to cause a focusing of attention/memorability effect.

3 Likes

AOs know that a team can’t exist with only captains and starters. I don’t know how the AO would know he wasn’t a starter if he lists “Football, 9, 10, 11, 12” on the application.

I’d put the 6:30 practice into an essay, like " Ugg, 6 am got to get to practice by 6:30. Never missed one, never been late for one and I’m not going to screw up my streak now."

OK one more- He is struggling with JV basketball (he did it one year and hated it but was still a huge commitment and he did not quit) and Varsity Track and Field this year (did Javelin and Shot Put- also hated it but was pretty good and huge commitment). Not sure how he should describe those since there was clearly very little passion :joy: but still a huge commitment. He is asking for advice.

Again, just list basketball and track. If he set any records or won an award, list that. The AO will recognize the commitment just as they would any other activity.

There isn’t any way to say “Basketball, and I was really committed even though I hated it” in a positive way.

1 Like

:joy:

He may actually just not even list basketball. Realized he can list 10 and basketball is 11 and doesn’t really add much.