BFA at Molloy College/CAP 21

<p>That is so helpful! Thanks a lot… </p>

<p>My D has been accepted to the Molloy/Cap21 program as well. Final choice came down to U of Arts and this one. After looking into both closely, this program had the best of all worlds. Molloy is an adorable small college and is perfect to be paired with the big city training. Plus…its NYC! If she’s going to do it…train where you want to be. Many people have opinions about that, but for us, that’s the way we wanted to go! </p>

<p>Same for my D…it was Wagner, AMDA or Molloy…a no-brainer, especially after we saw the campus. </p>

<p>Prospective students for the Class of 2019: my D loves all of her CAP21 classes! The work is challenging, but the faculty is nurturing. She particularly loves the acting class! The travel from Molloy to CAP21 is really no problem at all, so don’t give it a second thought.</p>

<p>I’m glad she likes it so much!</p>

<p>How many students are in MT with her?</p>

<p>I wonder what the travel going to be like when they are in productions. Will the productions be at Molloy, CAP21, or both?</p>

<p>Freshmen can’t be in “official” productions. The Molloy drama club puts on shows, and the CAP 21 kids have taken over. Rehearsals are at night, so no worries about interference with class. We’ve been told that future “official” productions will be at the glorious, state-of-the-art Madison Theater on the Molloy campus.</p>

<p>Oh…there are 24 in the cohort.</p>

<p>This sounds like a great program!!! @EastchesterMom please check in from time to time during the year. My D is a junior this year. This sounds like a program worth checking out!</p>

<p>Big story about Molloy / Cap21 in NY Times: <a href=“A Musical Education Full of Sweat and Sequins - The New York Times”>A Musical Education Full of Sweat and Sequins - The New York Times;

<p>Mmm. An honest first year assessment will be hard to come by. It also wouldn’t necessarily tell one much about what the program will be… just about what it is for someone asked during the inaugural year. Somebody point me to any developing program whose first year is about rainbows and ponies. I want in. Meanwhile I’d rather have coffee with realists who know what it is they are and are not looking at but are entirely supportive of the journey to get there… For that, I’d be all in. If somebody is saying that… I’m in.</p>

<p>I read that article in NYT. It was well positioned and carefully worded.</p>

<p>I’m sure you don’t mean to be unkind, @halflokum … but your post sounds like sour grapes. I disagree that anyone is saying that the Molloy/CAP21 program is “about rainbows and ponies.” Its location and MT connections give it some perks that other programs can’t offer? I say, bravo! Yes, it’s a new partnership with a new college, but the MT training is tried and true. Frank and Eliza Ventura sure as heck know what they’re doing and they’ve been doing it very well for years…as everyone knows, CAP21 has launched more than a few stars of stage and screen. My D is in this program, and I am a realist – they’re working her hard, and she is in capable hands.</p>

<p>I don’t read post #29 as sour grapes- more as pointing out the fact that schools use the media to promote their programs- and media sometimes publishes “fluff”. I am not saying a WORD against Malloy/Cap21- have no knowledge about program other than what have read here. But I have read a number of articles lately about a VARIETY of programs (esp new or “rising” programs) that seem to be primarily PR based. Just saying</p>

<p>@eastchestermom my apologies. #29 was a terribly worded post. I do not have sour grapes. If the program is great as the article suggests and your daughter is getting excellent training and is deliriously happy with her school, I think it is wonderful. Your frank sharing about her experiences to me is more valuable than that particular article. I was, as toowonderful suggested above, reacting to the article from the standpoint of it having a very PR feel. I had read it before it ever was linked here and that was my take. Why I bothered to even share that here I don’t know. It was wrong of me and I apologize. My comments added absolutely nothing to this thread.</p>

<p>Also, I should have explained that I was reacting to that type of an article in general and not reacting to anything specific about the one about Cap21/Molloy. I’ve seen many similar articles this fall regarding other schools’ programs and they give me that same, PR vibe. I don’t really know what one can glean from them within the context of trying to pick a school. Perhaps something and it’s not up to me to decide that for others.</p>

<p>Specific to THIS article, in a complete moment of boneheadedness, I chose to make the point that it feels all wrapped up just a tad too nicely. I made a leap in assuming the reality of life on the ground couldn’t possibly be as good as suggested because the program is just in its first year. But how would I know that? I don’t. Maybe it is. My bad and terrible post.</p>

<p>@halflokum - apology accepted! :)</p>

<p>Rightly or wrongly, boys and girls…higher education is a business. Businesses advertise to get more business. Any theater program worth its salt wants to attract the best talent…and audition season is upon us. No one in their right mind is going to use this or any other “PR” article as the only criterion for choosing a program. But if Molloy/CAP21 - or any program – can get the NYT interested in writing a piece that may result in more talent giving their program a look, more power to them. </p>

<p>My point was that although the partnership with this college is new, the MT training is not; there’s a proven track record of success. Is it perfect? Of course not…nothing is; there have been some bumps along the way. But so far, I see both partners pulling out all the stops to give the kids a great BFA education, including opportunities such as the one in the article. THAT’S the reality.</p>

<p>EastchesterMom, you’ve made a valid point that in this particular case, it isn’t an entirely new program. CAP21 has been around for years and was formally the MT studio for NYU/Tisch students. So, that part of the degree isn’t new. The partnership with Molloy is new. So, it is a bit different than a BFA program that is starting fresh and brand new and hasn’t been fully fleshed out or no graduates yet, etc. </p>

<p>I realize that PR is important. I think some schools rely on the marketing of their program in this manner more than others. Some do it more than I like to see, but that’s just me. Hats off to Molloy/CAP21 for coverage in the NYTimes though. </p>

<p>Disclaimer…my daughter is a graduate of NYU/Tisch/CAP21.</p>

<p>Agree with SoozieVt above and completely with eastchestermom who was more than gracious publically and privately. And for the record, I hope the Cap21/Molloy combination kicks ass and makes other NYC area schools sit up and pay attention. I meant to give that message in my first post but so sucked at it. </p>

<p>@soozievt – is she working in the industry? @halflokum – you bet we’re kicking ass! EVERY school will sit up and pay attention!</p>

<p>EastchesterMom, yes, she has earned her living entirely in the industry since graduating 5 1/2 years ago.</p>

<p>@soozievt – that’s fabulous; congrats!</p>