Big Picture View of UC vs CSU vs CC

Since I’ve gone thru this once, I am now turned to at parties as an expert :slight_smile:

But I don’t even understand the big picture myself. I know the 9% state-wide guarantee means that the top 9% of CA HS students get into a UC. So is that the purpose of the UCs to educate 9% of HS graduates in California?

I’d love to know x, y and z for the following:

The UCs aim to educate x% of the HS graduates in California, CSU y% and CC z%.

That’s a question for @Gumbymom.

I can say this, they have different purposes. CCs, in this context, are a bridge to 4 year institutions. There are a few exceptions, but CSUs are focused almost exclusively on teaching undergrads. UCs serve the dual purpose of research and teaching.

The major features of the Master Plan as adopted in 1960 and amended in subsequent legislative reviews are as follows:

1. Differentiation of functions among the public postsecondary education segments:
  • UC is designated the State’s primary academic research institution and is to provide undergraduate, graduate and professional education. UC is given exclusive jurisdiction in public higher education for doctoral degrees (with the two exceptions–see CSU below) and for instruction in law, medicine, dentistry, and veterinary medicine (the original plan included architecture).
  • CSU’s primary mission is undergraduate education and graduate education through the master’s degree including professional and teacher education. Faculty research is authorized consistent with the primary function of instruction. SB 724 (2006) authorized CSU to award a specific Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) in educational leadership. Other doctorates can be awarded jointly with UC or an independent institution.
  • The California Community Colleges have as their primary mission providing academic and vocational instruction for older and younger students through the first two years of undergraduate education (lower division). In addition to this primary mission, the Community Colleges are authorized to provide remedial instruction, English as a Second Language courses, adult noncredit instruction, community service courses, and workforce training services.
  1. The establishment of the principle of universal access and choice, and differentiation of admissions pools for the segments:
  • UC was to select from among the top one-eighth (12.5%) of the high school graduating class.
  • CSU was to select from among the top one-third (33.3%) of the high school graduating class.
  • California Community Colleges were to admit any student capable of benefiting from instruction.

UC ELC guarantees the Top 9% of students a placement at a UC campus.

CSU redirection guarantees CSU eligible students that their CSU application will be redirected to CSU campus with open spots.

1 Like

Wow you’re the proverbial Fountain of knowledge. Are these percentages still the Target or have things changed

1 Like

Here is a recent article looking at the UC system and the 12.5% target. There are have been several articles addressing the expansion of the top 12.5% eligibility target or changing to a 7.5% participation target as noted in this article. Since going test blind, the UC senate continues to make necessary policy changes to address many of these issues.

Here is the BOARS report which examines the UC eligibility and the continued commitment to the California Master plan.

Happy Reading.

• UC was to select from among the top one-eighth (12.5%) of the high school graduating class.

• CSU was to select from among the top one-third (33.3%) of the high school graduating class.

• California Community Colleges were to admit any student capable of benefiting from instruction.

https://www.ucop.edu/institutional-research-academic-planning/content-analysis/academic-planning/california-master-plan.html