Binge watched tv shows

@momsquad, on the Amazon Prime app on my smart TV, when you go to a show’s season page, there’s a bar across the top of the screen (under the title and season of the show), that has several options, one of which is subtitles, where you can turn them on or off. I don’t know if it will be the same on your TV, but it might be worth looking there.

I just saw that another place to turn it on is when the video is actually playing. If you pause it, you’ll see a small CC in the lower right hand corner. If you select that it will allow you to turn the subtitles on.

Unforgotten, Season 3. ???

^ on what platform SouthernHope?

Unforgotten Season 3 stayed with me for a long time, as did season 2.

@SouthernHope I streamed season 3 of Unforgotten on pbs.org for free when it was being broadcast. Now it’s available either that way with a monthly subscription or via Amazon Prime with a subscription to PBS Masterpiece, which you could binge with a 7-day free trial.

I think I bought the streaming S3 of Unforgotten in SD, for 9.99, on Amazon.

I finished Fosse/Verdon last week and I’m still thinking about it. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would as I let the episodes accumulate on my DVR.

1 Like

Anyone watching Tales of the City on Netflix? I really enjoyed the first incarnation of the show, about the residents of apartments in a sprawling old house in San Francisco, when it was on PBS in the '90s. The current show picks up with many of the old characters several decades later. It’s pretty good, but I’m not enjoying it as much as I recall from the first series. It’s based on the Tales of the City novels by Armistead Maupin.

Oh my gosh, Chernobyl is terrifying. Yikes.

Finally watched Bodyguard.
Excellent and does not follow typical patterns (as in, say, Homeland or House of Cards or Madam Secretary):
three episodes of action, 2 episodes of investigation, 1 extra long episode with a ~45mn scene entirely carried by one character.
The first 20mn of the first episode will have you hooked. Very well done.

Keeley Hawkes and Richard Madden are outstanding (although seeing Keeley Hawes as a frankly unpleasant and politically powerful person is jarring after watching her sunny character in Durrells of Corfu!)

For those who don’t know it, the basic premise: PTSD vet is assigned to protect the Home Secretary (Homeland security) whom he blames for his and his friends’ trauma, as she attempts to pass a counterterrorism law that may position her for PM but will severely restrict civil liberties.
As you watch, keep in mind that this is a political thriller, not a romantic drama.

One criticism: the blood spatter in one scene seemed a bit improbable.

For those of you with HBO, “Gentleman Jack” is wonderful.

Thank you to those that recommended Fleabag. I binged both seasons while H was on travel and really loved the show!

Fleabag is next now that I’m done with Bodyguard. :slight_smile:

@MYOS1634 – Please let us know what you think. And be honest.

Chernobyl was riveting. Terrible but I couldn’t look away. Thanks for the recommendations. I need more though…I really enjoy the espionage stuff, Nordic noir, Game of Thrones, My Brilliant Friend and the occasional freaky show like The Forrest or OA. Any recommendations?

@Veryapparent – Have you seen Babylon Berlin? (Netflix) It’s not new (2017, I believe) but it’s probably one of the best TV series out there - Germany’s most expensive TV production ever, and an international hit. 3rd season will appear in the US later this year. The first two are so good. Give yourself at least 3 episodes to really get into it - there are multiple story threads and tons of characters.

I am a prud. I was enjoying Babylon until his GF or SIL showed up and it turned into a conflict between her and the other girl. That was branching into too many directions for me and stopped watching. I did enjoy watching him dance.

Finally caught up on the second season of Fleabag. Just stellar but way too short. So sad there won’t be future seasons. Read this write-up on season 2 and found it spot on. Spoiler alert.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/fleabag-season-2-fourth-wall-ending.html

Thanks to all who recommended Unforgotten. Finished all 3 seasons. Superb acting, especially Cass and Sunny. Excellent storytelling even though the subject matter is bit disturbing.