Binge watched tv shows

Watched the first episode of Diagnosis - really interesting and I love the concept.

Bosch is on Amazon Prime.

I have watched the first two episodes of “Diagnosis” and am finding it fascinating.

I don’t remember if it’s been mentioned here but “The Terror” on Hulu is really good. The first season is based on a true story about two ships (the Terror and the Erebus) from the Royal Navy that disappeared trying to find the Northwest Passage in the 1840s. It’s a combination of historical drama and horror and is very compelling. And it has one of my favorite actors in it, Jared Harris, who was also recently in “Chernobyl.”

Boring. That’s my one-word review of The Spy on Netflix (Sacha Baron Cohen playing in a dramatic role as a 1960’s spy, based on a real person.) You’d think the subject would lend itself to a good dramatic series
 but not in the hands of this writer/director. :confused:

I like “Diagnosis” too!
Each episode is an easy, but intriguing, watch of about :45 minutes. The cases of mystery illnesses are fascinating.

I watched the first episode of Diagnosis last night. It was enjoyable – who wouldn’t enjoy watching the articulate, telegenic 23-year-old with the awful illness that doesn’t keep her from looking adorable? – but over the course of it I had a bunch of nagging concerns that bother me a lot about this show:

– The show demonstrated the power of its crowdsourcing model: The “crowd” immediately identified the most likely category of illness, and the ultimate diagnosis was the second most popular choice among the people arguing for that category. It was the choice the boyfriend thought explained her symptoms best as soon as they focused on it. Both it and the other related syndromes identified by the crowd are managed successfully with consistent lifestyle changes and somewhat different dietary limitations. Any of those possibilities could effectively have been confirmed by relatively cheap limited genetic testing of the protagonist and her parents. Yet what the show presented as the great solution was the deus ex machina intervention of the Italian clinic that gave her an expensive battery of tests for conditions she was less liklely to have, then a complete genome sequencing to nail down the diagnosis. Was that good medicine, or was it more good TV to have a sequence shot in northern Italy with the highly telegenic team of Italian doctors with near-perfect but adorably accented English? Why in the world was treatment delayed three months to do that?

– I hated some of the arrogance. We saw that the host thought it was cute that a veterinarian suggested a diagnosis, but it was edited so we never saw exactly what the vet proposed, or if it made sense. The other non-MD responders shown were clearly picked for their cartoonish loopiness.

– The show completely failed to address the question how in nine years no doctor who saw her in a major American metropolis ever addressed the generic category of illness immediately identified by various medical students around the world. This didn’t seem like some sort of heroic orphan disease diagnosis so much as a case of serious incompetence. Why was there no accounting for this? Why haven’t heads rolled?

– It appropriately reported on the awful expense our system imposes on people with illnesses that are difficult to diagnose, but it didn’t say what happened to the protagonist’s debt, and I’m sure it was misleading about the Italian system (foreigners who are not accompanied by television crews can’t just show up at a clinic there and receive tons of expensive tests for free).

– Another failure: Not to notice the irony that our medical system is structured by HIPAA to limit information transfer severely in order to protect privacy, but the whole structure of the show is an argument that what these patients need most is to have their most private information circulated as widely as possible.

– How did those parents produce that daughter, much less pass on a genetic disease to her? And what was that German doctor doing in Cambodia?

@JHS you are funny – I mean that positively, I can sound like you too!

That said, I loved Diagnosis! I can answer two criticisms/questions-- one, the veterinarian almost certainly suggested Azoturia, or Tying Up. It is well known in the equine community. Second, I think you would be surprised at how incompetent/difficult it is to get a diagnosis that’s slightly less straightforward. I wonder if it is because there isn’t one doctor in charge, who can put the puzzle pieces together.

I do agree with you about the patient’s parents, btw!

@JHS, I haven’t watched Diagnosis yet, but used to read the Sunday NYT feature it’s based on. It was one of the reasons I subscribed. I will watch once I finish Headhunters.

Your questions made me think of my situation: why didn’t any of my highly educated and compensated doctors do anything more enterprising than continue to increase my dosage of insulin for Type 2 Diabetes? I am now 2 years exogenous insulin free and HbA1c of 5.5 (versus 10.8 at my worst). I consider myself a “diabetic in remission.” Shame on the medical profession. They should at least know as much as what I figured out with an internet connection and a web browser.

To quote a gastroenterologist who, after extensive/expensive testing (colonoscopy, biopsy, etc) on my son’s IBS said, in response to the news that Peppermint Oil managed his symptoms, “I’m not in the business of prescribing OTC remedies.” That’s quite a sentence to unpack.

Coincidentally, another show like Diagnosis called Chasing the Cure started around the same time. It’s on TNT and hosted by Ann Curry. But Diagnosis is far superior in my book.
Separately, are there any new network shows you’re looking forward to? The fall premiere season is so much less of a big thing now that that there’s Netflix, Hulu, etc. and I haven’t heard much about new shows. The ones that look good to me are Almost Family, a remake of the Australian show Sisters (I think) about a fertility doctor who fathered all his patients’ children, and Carol’s Second Act, with Patricia Heaton as a middle-aged med student.

Love that critical view, @JHS.

While I understand @JHS criticism, remember that the show is only 45 minute and can’t be all things in that amount of time. Who knows what was on the cutting room floor?

Perhaps subsequent episodes will satisfy some of your criticisms! (I still haven’t watched past episode one, just haven’t had time.)

@bardalot: do you have any tv website to recommend wrt Network Fall TV previews/reviews?
I used to buy the EW and TVGuide specials but my supermarket no longer carries them, nor my CVS. :frowning:
The Patricia Heaton show sounds funny, as does the one about a widower raising daughters. I think there’s a reboot of Nancy Drew. Haven’t kept up, missing my magazines’ ease of access for tea/downtime/planning purpose, looking for website recommendation or straight up show recommendation. Thanks ?

I love the Sunday NYT feature. But this show felt like it was distorting things purely for TV entertainment value. (Not that the host’s previous TV show, House, didn’t also distort things. But it wasn’t purporting to be anything but fiction, and she was just a consultant, not the producer.) For all I know, everyone actually behaved appropriately, and as soon as they made (who made?) a decision to focus on metabolic deficiencies, the patient started doing the things that would manage (and help identify) her condition. But ultimately the tack the show took was an advertisement for Big Medicine and for doing nothing without exhaustive testing.

Re: Tying up in horses. A little research shows that it’s part of the same family of inherited metabolic myopathies as the correct diagnosis. It’s a lot like McArdle’s Syndrome, the most popular suggestion from knowledgeable respondents. So . . . more than just a cute guess.

I’ve so far watched an episode of** Carnival Row on Amazon Prime**. "Carnival Row follows “mythical creatures who have fled their war-torn homeland and gathered in the city as tensions are simmering between citizens and the growing immigrant population.”[2] At the center of the drama is the investigation into a string of unsolved murders, madness of power, unresolved love, and social adjustments eating away at whatever uneasy peace that exists. "

It took a lot of the episode for me to figure out the world the show is set in, still haven’t completely figured out beyond some kind of war where fae are refugees, hunted down, often low status and some not-fae hate them.

Big names though, Orlando Bloom stars. Will definitely have at least two seasons so I’ll probably give it another couple of episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=369LHB9N-Ro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Row

I enjoyed “Diagnosis,” but it’s a little hard for me to watch any show like that. I wish my son could trade schizophrenia for ANY physical disease. :frowning:

Bingeing on Srugim right now.

PBS Passport has a German series on now, “Line of Separation.” It’s set in a Bavarian town which is then divided by the Wall. Very well done, and a different perspective.

Have a long list of Hulu shows to watch when they next offer a special deal.

@CountingDown Have you watched Shtisel yet? I liked it better than Srugim.

Have watched Srugim through 3 times. The character development is awesome.
Most people seem to like Shtisel better but I like Srugim better.

I’m almost finished watching the Netflix series “Unbelievable”, based on a true story of a serial rapist . It stars Merritt Wever, Toni Collette and Kaitlin Dever. Wever and Collette portray detectives from different Colorado cities who team up to solve the rape crimes. Kaitlin Dever plays one of the rape victims. It’s really excellent.

Agree with @katliamom that The Spy was boring. Even with subtitles and H explaining some of the historical context, I couldn’t follow the story. However, H was riveted and D thought it was quite good.

Additional problem for me is Sacha Baron Cohen in the leading role. I kept expecting the Borat voice (in fact, I was quite juvenile and called out, “Sexy time!” in my best Borat impression every time he was in bed with his wife) and just couldn’t accept him in a dramatic role.